Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Any former rx7 owners?

Old 04-27-2010, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any former rx7 owners?

I was curious if there were many S2000 owners here that used to own rx7s.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did. A '93.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:56 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I owned a '90 convertible for a couple of years, until I blew a couple of apex seals at ~103k miles
Old 04-27-2010, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a '91 NA and a '93 that I dumped way to much money in. I miss the power and still think it has a timeless design. I think they can be run reliably. There is alot of free information out there to help any shade tree mechanic. I was able to do much of the service, could have even dropped in a new motor in if I had the time. I caught the mod bug and built the car to a point where I could not tune it. Had the Apexi programmable CPU but did not have the know how nor the equipment to program the fuel maps....and due to location had no competent tuner within 5 hours to do it for me.

Bought a new Nissan Frontier as a replacement....didn't last long. Saw an '04 S2000 at local dealer. Traded in the truck and have been driving the S for 3 years and lovin' it.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what made you guys decide to finally move on with the rx7? For me it was I blew up the engine at 220,000 miles at the track. Once that happened I never found the time to get the car running again even though I rebuilt the engine and all. I was so sick of the constant fixing...

What were your mods?

My was:
1989 TurboII
generic cone filter
3" mandrel bent aluminum TID
Home made cooling plate
Racing Beat engine torque brace
Racing Beat strut tower brace
Racing Beat Turbo Back 3" dual exhaust
Racing Beat DTSS toe eliminator bushings.
Ground control camber plates
ISC Racing Bilstein coilovers 400lbs spring front 250lbs spring rear
ISC racing rear top hat
Removed rear antiroll bar
Energy suspension polyurathane bushing all around
1994 rx7 front brake calipers
ShineAuto Feed replica splitter
Removed sound deadening
Apexi AVCR
Apexi SAFC tied to manifold pressure sensor
Apexi BOV (Original Mazda BOV wouldn't hold pressure anymore)
Mazda 929 Master cylinder
Walboro fuel pump
dual Crane Hi6 ignition amps.
two LX92 coils for leading plugs, trailing plugs were controlled via stock ECU.
Home made Delrin subframe mount
Home made Delrin rear diff mount (this ones were too hard core for street driving)
Spec flywheel
Spec 6 puck copper cermaic spring clutch disc (stage 3)
Fidanza 9lbs flywheel
11 psi. 276 rear wheel hp on dynojet w/ 263 ft-lbs of torque.
I had 4 sets of S5 TII meshie wheels. 1 set with Toyo RA1s shaved. 1 set Toyo RA1 full depth. 1 set for street. 1 set spare rims.

I had so many spare parts to keep the car running. I just got sick of the non stop tinkering. Plus when I started racing it in Solo1 it started to feel like a job rather than a hobby. So after 6 years of ownerships I said no more and sold everything to a friend for 1000 bucks with all spare parts and car with no engine inside it.

Now I find a lot of joy in racing mountain bikes.

and driving my new used 2007 Imola Orange S2000 around as a nice summer car

Old 04-27-2010, 05:22 PM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

I had a 94 that I wish I didn't have to sell. I still want another FD...I owned it for 5 years and tracked it for the last 2 years almost every month and never had a problem with it. Contrary to what people on the internet say rotarys are reliable if you know what you are doing. I'm actually a lot more worried about blowing the s2000's engine at the track than I was about the FD's. I've seen and heard a lot more stories about s2000's blowing their on engine on the track than any rotary powered car (but then again there are a lot more people tracking s2000's so it's not really apples to apples).

Old 04-27-2010, 06:09 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I had an RX-7 until a drunk driver drove over it and totaled it. That was in 2000, and by the time I was looking for a new sports car, RX-7s were too old to buy - better cars for the money. Still, if it hadn't been wrecked, I would still have it, it was a blast to drive.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:36 PM

I had a '93 black touring edition:

I loved it, but even running with the standard reliability mods and virtually no go-fast stuff, I couldn't keep it reliable in the Texas summer heat. The S2000 was a definite step up in refinement and reliability while keeping the nimbleness and high-revving fun.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:14 PM

I got both! Drove the FC for 3 years, loved the car, and it has only 97k on it and still running strong. Just felt like I wanted a newer car last year, so I upgraded to the more powerful S2000. Both cars are very similar, but just wanted to be a little faster.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:23 AM

I've owned two FD's...both 93's. They would still be sitting in my garage if they weren't such headaches...great cars aside from the numerous 'issues' they seem to have.

Quick Reply: Any former rx7 owners?