Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Any other New 2017 Civic Type R Owners?

Old 03-12-2018, 11:50 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I'm starting to develop a want to drive one of these to see if it's really good as people are making it out to be.
Where do you stay?
Hard to get a feel for it on a quick test drive though
Old 03-12-2018, 03:57 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted180sx
Where do you stay?
Hard to get a feel for it on a quick test drive though
Bay area.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:26 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Bay area.
Ah. if you were local, you could've driven mine
Old 03-13-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted180sx
Ah. if you were local, you could've driven mine
Much appreciated.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And what about the steering feel differences? I know that FWD vs RWD will always have a different feeling, but I'm starting to become crazy with the S2k being too soft and uncommunicative at the center. I feel like I'm chasing demons: I've replaced bushings, end links, ball joints, tie rods, wheels, everything related and still not good enough for me, up to the point of not enjoying the drive anymore.

I owned a 2009 CTR and the steering feeling was on par (not much evolution, almost the same single link steering desing), I tested the 2015 CTR with the dual link steering and it felt great (but ugly afk), and now I'm serioulsy considering trading my 08 S2k for this Type-R.

In addition, did somebody tried to put one of the countersunk shift knobs widely used in the S2000? I'm almost sure that the thread and everything is Honda standard, and you get the a shorter throw.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Viggen
And what about the steering feel differences? I know that FWD vs RWD will always have a different feeling, but I'm starting to become crazy with the S2k being too soft and uncommunicative at the center. I feel like I'm chasing demons: I've replaced bushings, end links, ball joints, tie rods, wheels, everything related and still not good enough for me, up to the point of not enjoying the drive anymore.

I owned a 2009 CTR and the steering feeling was on par (not much evolution, almost the same single link steering desing), I tested the 2015 CTR with the dual link steering and it felt great (but ugly afk), and now I'm serioulsy considering trading my 08 S2k for this Type-R.

In addition, did somebody tried to put one of the countersunk shift knobs widely used in the S2000? I'm almost sure that the thread and everything is Honda standard, and you get the a shorter throw.
When I first picked up my S2000, I did find the steering to be too light. Over time I got used to it though.

The FK8 CTR has nice steering feel with decent weight. It's hard to make a comparison between the two cars now since I won't be insuring the S2k for the summer until this weekend. If I remember, I will report back in a couple weeks lol.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:56 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

And what about the steering feel differences? I know that FWD vs RWD will always have a different feeling, but I'm starting to become crazy with the S2k being too soft and uncommunicative at the center. I feel like I'm chasing demons: I've replaced bushings
Does that include the bushings used to mount the steering box to the frame?
Old 05-13-2018, 09:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I have watched a couple reviews of the car lately and thought to myself, "Maybe you could live with the looks. Everybody seems to LOVE driving the car. Its a Honda, you love Hondas! Just get over the big wing. It might make an AWESOME daily with that huge hatchback utility. "

Then I saw a review that says no heated seats. WHAT???????!!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!
It's a Type R! It should never have heated seats. Heck, it has more than enough electronics and added weight already.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:34 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by VilleS2K

It's a Type R! It should never have heated seats. Heck, it has more than enough electronics and added weight already.
Heated seats add about 2 pounds. Your 0-60 would fall by .000000000000000000002 seconds.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My s2000 had all new front rubber bushings, tie rods, rigid collars(+stiffer steering rack bushings), and the steering in the CTR is sharper than the s2000 in +R and Sport modes. The steering ratio/weight becomes progressively slower/lighter as you go down to sport and comfort modes though. Neither cars offer real feedback, and you have to rely on the chassis for information at the limit.

I will say the CTR is MUCH faster and has MUCH better brakes. VTEC in the s2000 feels uneventful now, other than the glorious sound. Exhaust sound is probably the worst part of the CTR, and it’s way too quiet (but also has no drone). I’m able to tell when I need to shift by the sound frequency in the s2k, but no luck in the CTR. The s2000 also has a better shifter feel. The CTR is good, but throw is a hair longer, and it feels a bit less direct.

As far as handling goes, it’s very hard to reach the limit on the street, and you have to try very hard to get it to understeer. Even if you do, the front tucks in nicely with a lift of throttle or trail-brake. The car is so adjustable mid-turn, and its really addicting! If you leave VSA on, or to the partially off setting, the car uses brake vectoring to help the car rotate as well.

The CTR is traction limited in 1st gear, and I can get wheelspin when flooring it from a roll with the stock tires (VSA Full off). Probably better to use 80-90% throttle (or VSA-on/partial-off) in that gear, and you’ll still get great acceleration. It continues to pull hard in 3rd and 4th gear into the triple digits, and the car is amazingly stable at high speed, whereas the s2000 felt more “twitchy”

Overall, I think Honda has done a great job with this car. The performance envelope is so high, while having so much practicality and technology packed in.

The following users liked this post:
spitfirezip100 (03-28-2022)

Quick Reply: Any other New 2017 Civic Type R Owners?