Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Any other New 2017 Civic Type R Owners?

Old 10-09-2018, 12:05 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by honda606
For the same price I would go with a base S trim GTI over an Si without hesitation. So much more car for the money. Way more refinement. Interior components quality far better. 6 year 72k mile bumper to bumper warranty.

For 2019 the base S is even going to get the VAQ diff and Golf R brakes. No brainer.
I owned a base 2016 S 6spd four door for a year and a half, I found it pretty boring to drive and didn't really care for the looks, but I loved the cloth. Depreciation on them is pretty terrible and I was worried about the warranty because I ended up using it a few times and had a DP/tune so I felt like it was a ticking time bomb, in a way. Thinking about it, I guess that is a reason to go for the Type R, it'll probably fare decently when it comes time to sell.

Last edited by Chibo; 10-09-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
I owned a base 2016 S 6spd four door for a year and a half, I found it pretty boring to drive and didn't really care for the looks, but I loved the cloth. Depreciation on them is pretty terrible and I was worried about the warranty because I ended up using it a few times and had a DP/tune so I felt like it was a ticking time bomb, in a way. Thinking about it, I guess that is a reason to go for the Type R, it'll probably fare decently when it comes time to sell.
Heard. Love the cloth as well. Picked up a 2018 back in February and really enjoy it as a DD for 60 mile round trip each day. It's definitely no Miata/S2K in terms of fun but has exceeded my expectations for a FWD vehicle. I've been so used to high revving motors for so long that it's actually a nice change of pace to drive something with low end torque.

I'd say you're likely right about the depreciation on the Type R. It should fare much better than the GTI. I specifically went with the S to mitigate the amount of depreciation over the 5 years I'll be owning it. I couldn't justify the extra cost of the SE or Autobahn plus I didn't want a sunroof.

What DP did you have and who did you use for the tune? Did you go beyond Stage I? 6MT or DSG?
Old 10-09-2018, 01:03 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

I had a CircuitWerkes DP, I don't know if they are made anymore but I think I paid like $200 for a used one and resold it for the same once I got rid of the car. Tune wasn't really a tune, it was the JB plug-in box since I was worried about the tamper flag. You can't really run a DP without a tune or JB because the car ends up with a fat hole in the mid-range power where the car feels flat.

It was a 6spd and I managed to keep the thing together for 35k miles while occasionally towing a HF trailer with my Aprilia Tuono and Yamaha R6 on it as far as Phoenix to Spring Mountain (Pahrum, Nevada) to Thunderhill (Willows, Ca) and back.

If you want to have the clutch last any amount of time with more than stock power you need to remove the clutch fluid flow restrictor in the slave, remove the clutch return spring in the pedal, and give the clutch time to fully bite on shifts before getting back in it -- especially the 1-2. If you don't do that... well... budget for a clutch in 10-20k miles.

They really are a great DD.

Last edited by Chibo; 10-09-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great tips on the 6MT. I removed that clutch spring day one but have managed to put 12k on the car since February without doing the clutch line to replace the swirl and the clutch delay valve. Ironically I ordered that entire kit from ECS and it delivered yesterday so I'll be getting that done this weekend. Looking forward to feeling the difference. The clutch has really been my only complaint about the car so far. The engagement point was a bit tricky to get used to especially on the 1-2 like you mentioned but I quickly realized everything just likes to be slowed down a bit to achieve smoothness. I was releasing the clutch pedal too quickly while upshifting which resulted in sometime drivetrain feedback.

Fortunately I'm really quite pleased with the stock power delivery. The added power from an APR Stage II sounds extremely tempting but I'd hate to give up that longer 2018 warranty, plus like you and everyone else mentions a new clutch will be mandatory. At the moment I'm shopping for wheels and tires and trying to talk myself in to the Ohlins coliovers.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[left]Call me old fashioned but i think that I will wait another 5 years and get a ek jdm rhd type r. I sold my 89 skyline GTR and bought my 06 s2k recently and don’t regret it. It’s hard to determine really what route to go. The new Type R is an amazing car, but I just can’t get over the dealer markup. Especially when my daily is a 13 wrx. So I guess I’m just gonna have to drive one eventually to give a fare assessment.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Owned for a year and 4 months. Love it more and more every day.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:00 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

No changes through 17-18, what about 19?
Old 10-16-2018, 05:26 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I have only had mine for a month and it seems to be getting better and better day by day.
The following users liked this post:
JonBoy (11-10-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 09:05 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by starchland
No changes through 17-18, what about 19?
Supposedly a volume knob.

And there're rumours + spy pics posted earlier about a slightly refreshed front facia + lower wing, and possibly no LED headlights..., so perhaps more than 1 trim offered other than the current touring trim?
Old 10-16-2018, 07:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Type-R takes the cake from the GT3! - EVO Mag review https://magazine.evo.co.uk/2018/09/3...pig_index.html

Quick Reply: Any other New 2017 Civic Type R Owners?