Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Any other New 2017 Civic Type R Owners?

Old 09-03-2017, 07:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats, Dave!
Old 09-04-2017, 10:37 AM
Community Organizer

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

As far as bringing it to the dragon that's a game day decision. Color is Polished Metal Metallic. Really love the Black Mamba up there
Old 09-07-2017, 01:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpmelfi
The CTR from the factory in terms of outright performance is in another league compared to the S2k. That being said, they really can't be compared, because they are 2 different driving experiences. Both cars are very involving to drive, but the transmission in the S2k is better. Don't get me wrong, the transmission in the CTR is very good, probably the 2nd best transmission i have ever driven, but the s2k might have the best manual of all time, so it's tough competition. The one thing i really appreciate about the CTR is the engine, even though it is a turbo that has a lot of torque, it doesn't fall flat on its face as you get higher up in the rev range. The car still likes to be rev'd out and pulls all the way to the redline, and honestly feels like it wants to go past 7k. So even though it is turbo'd it still has that high revving honda feel. I too also kept my s2k, and if you can afford both I would say do it, because the s2k still puts a massive smile on my face, and there wont be cars made like that ever again. For me, daily driving a CTR and having a S2k as my weekend warrior is a perfect 2 car combination.
Hahah, I think you nailed it. I have the same conclusion for both my CTR and S2K. If you've never experienced the shifter in the S2000, the CTR would be perfectly fine. But driving back and forth between the two cars, the S2k's shifter has a shorter throw, offers a little bit better feel, and the clutch travel is shorter. Granted, my s2k is slightly modded with aftermarket tranny mount and ACT clutch, so perhaps those enhance the feel a bit.

The CTR is surprisingly such a good daily driver. I didn't expect the ride to be that comfortable even in sport mode. In Comfort mode, it's just like a regular Civic. And that cargo volume, gotta love hatchbacks! It's also pretty decent on gas. I'm getting 9.4L/100km (25mpg) with the AC on 90% of the time with mostly city driving.

The engine pulls well from 1500rpm all the way to the redline with minimal turbo lag.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picker her up last week and definitely impressed. The s2k still wins for pure fun factor but the ctr is a beast for daily driving. Unfortunately i can't keep both cars. I will be back in another s2000 in the future.

Last edited by PawnShop23; 09-11-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:29 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by iforyou
Hahah, I think you nailed it. I have the same conclusion for both my CTR and S2K. If you've never experienced the shifter in the S2000, the CTR would be perfectly fine. But driving back and forth between the two cars, the S2k's shifter has a shorter throw, offers a little bit better feel, and the clutch travel is shorter. Granted, my s2k is slightly modded with aftermarket tranny mount and ACT clutch, so perhaps those enhance the feel a bit.

The CTR is surprisingly such a good daily driver. I didn't expect the ride to be that comfortable even in sport mode. In Comfort mode, it's just like a regular Civic. And that cargo volume, gotta love hatchbacks! It's also pretty decent on gas. I'm getting 9.4L/100km (25mpg) with the AC on 90% of the time with mostly city driving.

The engine pulls well from 1500rpm all the way to the redline with minimal turbo lag.
I believe it's as best as you can get from cables and linkages. It will never feel as great as a shifter that's connected directly to the transmission.

Also surprising how quick the turbo spools. You start building boost so early.

Originally Posted by PawnShop23
Picker her up last week and definitely impressed. The s2k still wins for pure fun factor but the ctr is a beast for daily driving. Unfortunately i can't keep both cars. I will be back in another s2000 in the future.
Yup. I still do believe the S2k has a better fun factor. But the CTR is so capable and confidence inspiring it's crazy. I was fortunate enough to keep both cars. It's a great feeling to own 2 of hondas great cars!
Old 09-18-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can I get a type r for at or near sticker anywhere in the country? I've seen a few bay area ads selling for $45k-$50k
Old 09-19-2017, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by boosted180sx
I believe it's as best as you can get from cables and linkages. It will never feel as great as a shifter that's connected directly to the transmission.

Also surprising how quick the turbo spools. You start building boost so early.

Yup. I still do believe the S2k has a better fun factor. But the CTR is so capable and confidence inspiring it's crazy. I was fortunate enough to keep both cars. It's a great feeling to own 2 of hondas great cars!
Good point about the shifter. It's the way it is, but no complaints really. It's still an awesome shifter!

I just drove my friend's F30 335i 8AT with downpipe, intake, and a tune. I feel that the amount of turbo lag is pretty similar. You can feel it, but definitely nowhere as bad as a STI or something.

Originally Posted by chuhsi
Can I get a type r for at or near sticker anywhere in the country? I've seen a few bay area ads selling for $45k-$50k
Still $45k+? Wow......

Originally Posted by PawnShop23

Congrats! Must be a tough choice to let the S2k go though....
Old 10-07-2017, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picked up US # 4872 about a week ago now, having a lot of fun with it. I was down to just the S2000 as a daily driver so I needed a car that was a bit more practical, and the Civic certainly fits the bill!

Not planning on giving up my S2000 though, I enjoy it way too much. One day maybe I'll be able to afford a decent NSX and complete the trinity.

The following users liked this post:
JonBoy (10-09-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 10:36 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by raculot
Picked up US # 4872 about a week ago now, having a lot of fun with it. I was down to just the S2000 as a daily driver so I needed a car that was a bit more practical, and the Civic certainly fits the bill!

Not planning on giving up my S2000 though, I enjoy it way too much. One day maybe I'll be able to afford a decent NSX and complete the trinity.

looking sharp !
Old 10-10-2017, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by raculot

Dude we are in the same boat - CTR + S2k...and waiting to own a NSX one day! lol!

Congrats on your car purchase!

Quick Reply: Any other New 2017 Civic Type R Owners?