Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Any S2000 Owners Trying The 4x4's Fun Factor?

Old 12-28-2018, 10:46 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for about 11 years now and done a good amount of offload trips with it. It's a blast to drive trails with it. Especially riding open top! Just like my S2000, I'll plan to always own a 4x4. Oh, and the Jeep has been more reliable than the two Honda Accords I had before it.

Last edited by S2K_VS; 12-28-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:24 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

We've had a '13 Wrangler, took it camping a couple years towing a small pop up camper. We've also had a few Land Rovers, my DD is a RR Supercharged V8.

I'd love a Defender 110
Old 12-28-2018, 02:04 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Have recently rediscovered my first love. Before going fast, it was going off the beaten path when I was kid. Be it on your exploring on your bicycle or on foot, it feels great to get dirty. Also found out that a stock Crv is way more capable than most would imagine. Mind you I'm not rock crawling with it, but definitely has enough ground clearance and front approach angle to have some fun with.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW
Out of curiosity, what exactly do you find to be fun about the Sequoia and the LX? Where is it that you're using them?
I told my wife, it's either we get a Land Cruiser or a Tundra but she wants neither.
So we ended up getting the LX.

And to answer your question. We simply bought the LX since we have a baby.

For the Sequoia though, I bought it for a very simple reason, so I can play with it and it's a space shuttle!

Originally Posted by MrFunk
I've owned a Jeep (wrangler) and would do that again or a proper old school Land Rover... the large family hauler type SUV's aren't really 4x4's in my book...
Land Rover or Range Rovers are nice. But this Sequoia is very much capable of off-roading. It shares the same engine as the Land Cruiser.

As one had previously mentioned, even a CRV is capable.

I always say, it is not the arrow or the bow but the shooter or the user.

Same applies for Civics that are running extremely fast on straights and that includes, our S2000. Who would have thought.

Nothing is impossible.... and it's always great to be open-minded!

Old 12-28-2018, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by S2K_VS
I've had my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for about 11 years now and done a good amount of offload trips with it. It's a blast to drive trails with it. Especially riding open top! Just like my S2000, I'll plan to always own a 4x4. Oh, and the Jeep has been more reliable than the two Honda Accords I had before it.

Very nice set-up.

Do you have the awning for ice fishing or shooting?
Old 12-29-2018, 02:15 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

I suppose it all comes down to how you define "off-road capable". I don't consider my old Tundra (same platform as the Sequoia) to be a truly capable off-road vehicle as it doesn't feature locking differentials amongst other things. Some guys wouldn't touch IFS as only solid axles will do. While other guys think of driving on unpaved forest service roads as off-roading.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:50 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SaintS2000

Very nice set-up.

Do you have the awning for ice fishing or shooting?
I haven't gotten an awning yet to go with my setup. We just use it for occasional camping. But if it turns into extended trips then would want one.

Toyota Tundra's are very capable offroad and are very popular among the overland crowd. If the Sequoia is based on it, I'm sure it's also very capable. My Jeep is open diffs without lockers. You really don't need lockers unless you're looking at doing very difficult trails.

It really doesn't matter about the vehicle so much. It's more about just getting out there and exploring. There are a lot of people who off road their Subarus because they are capable.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:31 PM

Received 725 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by SaintS2000
I told my wife, it's either we get a Land Cruiser or a Tundra but she wants neither.
So we ended up getting the LX.
Maybe I'm missing something but is the LX not just a more expensive Land Cruiser in the US like it is here? Or were you just pulling a fast one on your wife? Kudos if you did.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:47 PM

[left][left]
Originally Posted by Hertz Donut
Maybe I'm missing something but is the LX not just a more expensive Land Cruiser in the US like it is here? Or were you just pulling a fast one on your wife? Kudos if you did.
I truly wanted the LX more than the LC and within 2 minutes of test driving the LX570, her thumbs were raised up.

edit:

BTW, I had to look up where you're from...
And damn.. S2k prices in your area is
crazy!
Old 12-31-2018, 05:52 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I love off roading so much it competes with owning a sports car. If I could only have one it would be a 4x4. I have a 1994 Suzuki Sidekick with a mild lift, winch, snorkel and rear locker. Its a perfect, cheap, tuff and economical off roader as long as you stay within an hour or two from home. Its not so good and too old for long over landing trips. There are lots of tight trails with brush and limbs encroaching so its nice not to have to care about the paint on a newer vehicle. I'd love to add a Samurai to the collection.

Quick Reply: Any S2000 Owners Trying The 4x4's Fun Factor?