Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone coming from an EVO?

Old 06-12-2008, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone coming from an EVO?

I was curious to see if anyone here used to own an STi or EVO. Or sold there s2000 for an STi or EVO. It will be one of the three that I buy and for various reasons but I'd like to hear from you guys.

EVO/STi:

All season drivability with utility, good braking, handling and power making capabilities at a very reasonable price (2003-2005) for about $17-24000

S2000:

Convertible, much more attractive and very reliable/not so PITA (maintenance/repairs) but at the price of poor ability to make good power and still NOT that cheap to repair broken stuff/worn out stuff. Very intriguing at $15-17,000 (AP1 with 50-60k)
Old 06-15-2008, 02:06 PM

I have an 03 Evo that I bought new, and a 2000 S2000 that I bought this Spring. I also test drove a number of AP2s earlier this year.

First off - the early Evos are very reliable cars when kept stock or with reasonable modifications. They only become unreliable with poorly thought-out modifications. As a track car, they require less maintenance than most other cars. I have been using mine on the track since May of 03 and have never had a problem with a Mitsubishi part. Of course, you have to change the fluids and brake pads (and tires) regularly. I still have the original clutch in the car.

The two cars definitely have some similarities. Both have excellent seating positions, and general ergonomics. Seats are a bit more comfortable in the Evo. Heel-and-toeing (something I do a lot off) is similar in the two cars. Brake system performance is also similar between the two. Steering response is similar, but the overall edge definitely goes to the Evo. It provides more feedback and just feels "alive". The Honda has less mass over the front wheels and you can feel it with rapid transitions. Shifters in the car are definitely different. The Honda has a shorter throw, but the Evo is similarly precise. I think it is a wash between the two in terms of overall performance.

It has been a while since I have driven a stock Evo, but I think the AP1 ride is about the same as the stock Mitsubishi. Definitely acceptable to me even over long drives.

There is a big difference in power. There is more in the Evo and it is much more accessible. The 9K redline in the S2000 is fun, but you typically have to plan ahead to actually use it (be in the right gear). A big thing is that it is easy to get much more power out of the Evo. And, you can get it reliably with the right combination of parts. My car puts out 300 wHP with a conservative tune with 91 octane gas.

The great thing about the S2000 is that it is a convertible. DUH!

Although it seems I prefer the Evo, that isn't the case. I like both of them equally. The two cars represent different approaches to high performance street cars. It's nice to have one of each.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:07 PM

I went from s2k to Evo. If I could do it all over again, I'd get another s2k.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:11 PM

I have both. But if I was only allowed to own one car, I'd keep the Evo IX because of the unbeatable combo of performance and practically.

Andrew
Old 06-15-2008, 07:27 PM

had a sti, s2k and now evo.... i would say get either the sti or evo...s2k is fun but its a small car and not too practical. its also pretty slow.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:58 PM

Evo owner. Brother owns an AP2. Hate that car. Noisy on the highway, slow, no trunk, and no tilt.

My Evo right now with a slipping clutch feels as fast as my brother's AP2.

Peter is right about the earlier Evo's reliability. I have an 03 with 117k on the odometer, lots of hard driving (drag racing, auto-x, spirited drives) and it sounds and drives great still. Great reliability for a car that sees 7k and 22psi daily!
Old 06-16-2008, 01:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well this is the 525th thread on this topic but i'll play

had an Evo IX, now swapped impreza STi, and my brother has an ap1 all this time

if i really have to choose, it'd take me days to decide s2k or evo/sti....true on paper the evo/sti has it all, easily upgradeable power, great handling (grip), good practicality...

but both these cars lack the "soul" that the s2000 has. it's been 2 yrs and every time i drive the s2k i have a stupid grin on my face. it's the way it accelerates, the way vtec crossover sounds, the way it moves with steering inputs, the way it stays flat in corners, the way the ass rotates when grip is running out in the rear...

evo/sti feels like computerized boxes with lots of oomph and stupid amount of grip. sure it's faster than the s2000 (sans very tight twisties) but the driving experience is completely different.

bottom line, if you value absolute performance the evo/sti can't be beat (vs. the s2000), but if you value more driving experience and not to mention top down fun, the s2000 is hard to beat. it is just stupid fun to drive.

my 2cents
Old 06-16-2008, 02:06 AM

lol, man that is stupid!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg,Jun 16 2008, 03:21 AM
well this is the 525th thread on this topic but i'll play

had an Evo IX, now swapped impreza STi, and my brother has an ap1 all this time

if i really have to choose, it'd take me days to decide s2k or evo/sti....true on paper the evo/sti has it all, easily upgradeable power, great handling (grip), good practicality...

but both these cars lack the "soul" that the s2000 has. it's been 2 yrs and every time i drive the s2k i have a stupid grin on my face. it's the way it accelerates, the way vtec crossover sounds, the way it moves with steering inputs, the way it stays flat in corners, the way the ass rotates when grip is running out in the rear...

evo/sti feels like computerized boxes with lots of oomph and stupid amount of grip. sure it's faster than the s2000 (sans very tight twisties) but the driving experience is completely different.

bottom line, if you value absolute performance the evo/sti can't be beat (vs. the s2000), but if you value more driving experience and not to mention top down fun, the s2000 is hard to beat. it is just stupid fun to drive.

my 2cents

This from having had a 2006 Evo and currently a 1994 STi and 2001 S2k.

The S2k always manages to make me smile. The power delivery may not be perfect, but that's exactly what makes it fun. I'm not sure why some people are so hung up on raw power. Must be the 2Fast group.

If you think you may be the type to get depressed when ignorant people call your car slow then the S2k is not for you. If you like to own a car purely for your own pleasure then you can't go wrong with it.