Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone Considering A New Raptor ?

Old 11-06-2016, 05:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anyone Considering A New Raptor ?

Curious to know if anyone is looking at purchasing a new Raptor ? I'm looking to get a new truck which would also serve as my daily driver. Whilst I have no intention to go off-roading, I want something a little more special than a regular half ton this go round. I just love the look of the Raptor (both generations). Still waiting on official Canadian pricing for the 2017, totally digging Avalanche as I almost went with that colour for my GT350..
Old 11-06-2016, 06:30 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

For around $50k, are you sure you don't want an SUV? Do you need a pick up?
Old 11-07-2016, 05:17 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not a truck guy but a friend of mine has a Raptor and that thing rides like a dream, smoothest vehicle out there. It's pretty roomy, has decent tech features and tows well. I wish they would put a beefy powerstroke diesel in one. I'd be tempted to get one and a truck/trailer.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:26 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

If you don't need the open bed get an Expedition. Still hauls a lot (all weather protected) and will pull a 9000 pound trailer with the inexpensive HD towing package. Still a $50K item though, if you load it with options. And has a decent ride.

-- Chuck
Old 11-07-2016, 05:32 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

If you're doing any regular city driving, the Raptor is a nightmare (the last gen, at least - I haven't driven the new one). It's very wide and I imagine the new one will be equally wide. It's tougher to park, tougher to drive downtown, tougher to see other vehicles beside you, etc. I love the looks and it should be a great performer but man, I don't think I could daily drive the thing. Horrible gas mileage as well.

That said, if you have the money and the patience, it IS an awesome vehicle, if only for looks/stance/suspension! As Cosmos pointed out, they do ride very well so you won't be uncomfortable in it, that's for sure. And when traffic inevitably snarls on the Deerfoot, you can always take to the side hills and drive away from it.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:53 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

I may try one someday. As mentioned, the suspension is actually very smooth with very long travel due to the desert/mogul running nature of the set-up. Plus, factor in the goodies of the new F-150 along with a high-po brand new 3.5 Ecoboost V6 and 10-speed automatic and it's a sweet ride.

I configured one online, they start around $50K and can go over $60k pretty easily with some options. Still a lot of truck for the money IMHO.

I will say my Dad and I test drove a $63k sticker '16 King Ranch F-150 and while some of the tech stuff was cool, it just flat wasn't as sophisticated and quiet as my Dad's '15 Denali 6.2 with mag ride. My Dad's Denali was noticeably quieter and smoother. Definitely made the F-150 feel less sophisticated and not as refined as the higher-end GM trucks which was surprising to me. It seems Ford put more money into tech goodies (keyless start, massage seats, back-up trailer thingee, etc.) than wind sealing, road noise suppression, and a smooth dual-mode (or better yet magnetic) suspension. Anyway, Ford and GM both make great trucks, but I still prefer the GM ones overall. They just feel nicer, quieter, easier to drive, and smoother.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
For around $50k, are you sure you don't want an SUV? Do you need a pick up?
I prefer to have a truck, handy for throwing all my waterski gear in.

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I'm not a truck guy but a friend of mine has a Raptor and that thing rides like a dream, smoothest vehicle out there. It's pretty roomy, has decent tech features and tows well. I wish they would put a beefy powerstroke diesel in one. I'd be tempted to get one and a truck/trailer.
It would be interesting with the 6.7, the new 3.5 EB makes 510 lb/ft in the Raptor, pretty impressive.

Originally Posted by Chuck S
If you don't need the open bed get an Expedition. Still hauls a lot (all weather protected) and will pull a 9000 pound trailer with the inexpensive HD towing package. Still a $50K item though, if you load it with options. And has a decent ride.

-- Chuck
I like the Expedition, although it is quite dated and due for a refresh.

Originally Posted by JonBoy
If you're doing any regular city driving, the Raptor is a nightmare (the last gen, at least - I haven't driven the new one). It's very wide and I imagine the new one will be equally wide. It's tougher to park, tougher to drive downtown, tougher to see other vehicles beside you, etc. I love the looks and it should be a great performer but man, I don't think I could daily drive the thing. Horrible gas mileage as well.

That said, if you have the money and the patience, it IS an awesome vehicle, if only for looks/stance/suspension! As Cosmos pointed out, they do ride very well so you won't be uncomfortable in it, that's for sure. And when traffic inevitably snarls on the Deerfoot, you can always take to the side hills and drive away from it.
I'm used to driving a truck daily, the Raptor is just much cooler. The main reason for my interest in the Raptor is what you stated above. Fortunately, I don't have to suffer a Deerfoot commute nor the downtown core for work.

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I may try one someday. As mentioned, the suspension is actually very smooth with very long travel due to the desert/mogul running nature of the set-up. Plus, factor in the goodies of the new F-150 along with a high-po brand new 3.5 Ecoboost V6 and 10-speed automatic and it's a sweet ride.

I configured one online, they start around $50K and can go over $60k pretty easily with some options. Still a lot of truck for the money IMHO.

I will say my Dad and I test drove a $63k sticker '16 King Ranch F-150 and while some of the tech stuff was cool, it just flat wasn't as sophisticated and quiet as my Dad's '15 Denali 6.2 with mag ride. My Dad's Denali was noticeably quieter and smoother. Definitely made the F-150 feel less sophisticated and not as refined as the higher-end GM trucks which was surprising to me. It seems Ford put more money into tech goodies (keyless start, massage seats, back-up trailer thingee, etc.) than wind sealing, road noise suppression, and a smooth dual-mode (or better yet magnetic) suspension. Anyway, Ford and GM both make great trucks, but I still prefer the GM ones overall. They just feel nicer, quieter, easier to drive, and smoother.
I really like the current Sierra/Silverado and the 6.2 is a gem. Either would likely be my pick for a half ton if the Raptor did not exist. I just want something more unique and special.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:54 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

If I wanted a pick up, it would be the one I'd buy.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:00 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

If I had the funds I'd buy one in a heart beat.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:12 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by LUV2REV
I really like the current Sierra/Silverado and the 6.2 is a gem. Either would likely be my pick for a half ton if the Raptor did not exist. I just want something more unique and special.
Agreed. My post was a little confusing. I'd very seriously consider a Raptor over a GM truck and I'm a huge GM fan. There is nothing GM currently makes that compares to the Raptor and it's definitely very unique and cool.

Anything below a Raptor though and I'm going for a GM truck for sure is what I was trying to say by my lack of being impressed by the loaded King Ranch relative to the 6.2 Denali truck.

Quick Reply: Anyone Considering A New Raptor ?