Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone driven both E55 AMG and 911 carrera?

Old 05-20-2004, 12:50 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not in the market per-se, but just wondering if people were looking to spend $80K-ish for a car, and they are looking at these 2 cars. What would make you pull the string one way or the other?

I realize the 911 is a coupe and can be had with MT, and is a lot smaller 700-800lbs lighter. But it's on the feeding chain it's one step above the M3 (if not exactly the same in performance).

The E55 AMG is a whole nother world ahead in power 469hp 516-TQ (thats almost twice the TQ of a 911).

Just wondering is the 911 that much more of a sports car, so that people don't cross shop with the E55?
Old 05-20-2004, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the car is used for a daily driver/street car, by all means get the E55. It is by far, my favorite sedan on the market!

If you plan on tracking the car/driving aggressively, get the Porsche.

They're both awesome cars, but being a big sedan, the E55 won't do as well in the twisties!
Old 05-20-2004, 04:44 PM

Yes...driven both and they are great cars. But save some money and spring for the 2004 Chevy Silverado 3500 LT 4x4.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:20 PM

not E55 but we have an SL55 and used to have a 996 C4. To be honest, both cars suck. The SL def gets the nod though because it is much faster.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 911, and I have driven & driven against the E55. The difference between these cars is night & day. The 911 really imparts a feeling that it is a sports car. You have to rev the engine to get power, and the handling is very precise. Driving up & down Topanga Cyn. to a friend's house is a blast, not to mention when I take it to the track. The E55 is a straightline brute. The sounds are a lot different, more "brutish" vs. peaky. It is definitely faster in the straight line (as I have seen it's taillights before). But on the track (a twisty one) I have no doubt I would hand any E55 it's ass. The steering on the MBZ was quite good, but just not quite as exacting as the 911. The acceleration was different. The MBZ you just push the accelerator and it goes. The 911 you have to play with the gears, and let it get past 3000 rpm to get good acceleration.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the 911's. A sedan will never perform like a 911 Carrera on a back-road no way. Based on what others have mentioned, and hp rating I'd expect the E55 to beat the 911 in a drag race, I bet it would. I've taken a 996 to it's limits, acceleration, max speed on back-roads, pretty impressive and comfortable.

I'd go for the 911, Benz's are nice, but for a sportscar. 911
Old 05-21-2004, 06:48 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My point is, it's nice to say "sports car" is the way to go. However most people don't track their cars. I mean it's a cleshe but in the US, power wins over finess.

After driving the 911 turbo, I came away impressed with it's power not it's sports car moves.

Even tho the E55 is no Elise, it can stop and turn well.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:51 AM

I would go for a 2005 997 Carrera S over any MB. Never driven a supercharged AMG, but from everything I've read, the Carrera S has got to be a more "rewarding" drive. Raw speed and #s aren't everything. The Carrera S surely offers more performance than you'll ever need on the street.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:49 PM

If you want a sports car, or anything that closely resembles a sports car - don't get the E55. Sure, it hauls ass and can turn with the best, but there's nothing sporty about it. You never feel connected to the road; it's always as though you just give the computer a general idea of what you want to happen, then it does the rest.

If you need the extra space, the extra speed, the extra power, and the status of owning a car that blows most sports car out of the water on any road that remotely resembles a straight line, get the E55 AMG.

It's hard to say which has better value. It really depends on what you want out of the car.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by alexf20c
If you want a sports car, or anything that closely resembles a sports car - don't get the E55. Sure, it hauls ass and can turn with the best, but there's nothing sporty about it. You never feel connected to the road; it's always as though you just give the computer a general idea of what you want to happen, then it does the rest.

If you need the extra space, the extra speed, the extra power, and the status of owning a car that blows most sports car out of the water on any road that remotely resembles a straight line, get the E55 AMG.

It's hard to say which has better value. It really depends on what you want out of the car.
Thank you.

If you want a sports car, avoid the Mercedes-Benz dealership like the plague. If you want a car that will give you the "visceral thrill of being one with the machine" and all that other trivial bullshit, buy yourself a tin-can like the Elise or Miata. Mercedes are not made to be sporty. They are not made for "driving excitement" They are luxury cars. Period. Luxury cars isolate the driver from all steering/brake feel, suspension harshness, or anything else that deters from the luxury of a car and makes it sporty. They just so happen to have a lot of power and are capable of murdering many "sports cars" on a track like the Nurburgring.

Quick Reply: Anyone driven both E55 AMG and 911 carrera?