Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone else get schitzophrenic when its time to buy a new car?

Old 07-02-2003, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am totally schitzo. I normally am a very decisive calm rational person, but now I'm in car buying mode and I can't make a decision to save my life. I've jumped around various cars I though for sure I wanted, then found something else I liked better. Decided on a car then can't decide on options/colors only to decide I wanted a different car.

I started seriously looking at cars about two months ago.

Choice #1 When I first decided I was going to buy a new car in the 30-50k range I was leaning towards a WRX for bang for the buck, that lasted about week and I realized I wouldn't be able to stand the uglyness that is subaru.

#2 I then proceeded to look at the 350z It looked nice, drove good but was just missing something I could never put my finger on.

#3 One of my co workers who owns an M3 spends the next week trying to get me to buy a new Beamer. I drive his and really like it but I just can't stomach the 50k price tag, the BMW prestige just isn't worth it for me.

#4 S2000 My first test drive I was in love and I realized what the 350z was missing (fun factor and a drop top) I had all but made my decision to own an S....and then

#5 I was talking cars with a random person at a local watering hole, it just so happened he owned the 99 NSX-T I saw out in the parking lot and insisted that I take it for a test drive (I didn't require much convincing we head out the parking lot and just looking at it from the outside is a near religious experience (It had been a while since I"ve seen one up close and in person) Sitting in the leather seats that fit my 6'3 230 pound ass perfect, he took off the Targa top and stowed it behind in its cubby above the engine. I pulled out of the parking lot slow at first and then head to the on ramp of the MLK expressway and nail it, it was pure bliss. The power wasn't breath taking but it was predictable, It felt more stable then the S2k in the few twisties I took heading back to the bar.

The awe factor was there too, heads were turning (not that it matters, but its always nice) when I got back I decided on what my new car was going to be. Don't get me wrong, the S2k is an awesome car but its just lacking that exotic genre I've always wanted.

Right now I'm looking at used NSX's I'm hoping to find a 97 T model in decent condition for right around 50k, my new decision isn't going to be as plug and play as a brand new S2000 was going to be but I feel its the right decision for me, feel free to talk me out of it god knows I'm about decisive as a 4 year old girl in a Baskins Robbins 31 flavors.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:09 AM

I think most everyone here will agree that your choices were all good ones, and only got better with time.

The Honda S2000 and Acura NSX are awesome cars.

The NSX is an awesome option, but make sure you get MY 1997 or newer if possible.

For the money, you really can't beat an S2000 though, and since you have the extra funds, some custom work and/or performance modifications (if those are up your alley) would allow you to create a truly unique car that is all your own. You want have the same awe factor as an NSX, but it will be an awesome ride with a lot less money spent (not to mention a new car that you can break in properly and a factory warranty).

I would say, however, if it was my money and I could afford it, I would try to find a well cared for, used NSX.

Happy shopping around and test driving.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:28 AM

That post was a great read. I have a friend who is exactly the same way (all be it on a slightly lower budget). Funnily enough the WRX was one of his "contenders". It was a marvel to watch him switch from one car to another on an almost daily (if not bi-hourly basis).

If I was shopping the same list as you I'd do what I could to find a nice NSX. An 1997 NSX would be a wonderful thing.

Check out: www.nsxprime.com they have a market place that usually sports a decent number of cars.

What ever you choose do us a favour and add a pic to this thread when you drive her home.

NS2000X
Old 07-02-2003, 11:35 AM

I haven't shopped NSX's in a while but they hold their value very well and rightfully so. I think you may find it difficult to find a 97+ NSX for $50K or less. I looked at the 350Z and was dissappointed. It didn't offer the driving experience the S2000 does and the interior seemed cheap and 'platicy'. I liked the motor but the car felt heavy and un-tossable. I currently own a 2003 M3 and I will tell that it's alot more than status. The car does everything well and is one of the safest and best looking automobiles on the road. The decision needs to be yours... don't be swayed. Try and drive them all if you can and good luck.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:37 AM

Right now on NSX Prime there are 2 NSX's selling for $50K even and two for sub $50k.
I think you should be able to find what you are looking for.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/forumdispla...p?s=&forumid=22

NS2000X
Old 07-02-2003, 12:00 PM

Yeah, I've been living on nsxprime and browsing various online auto classifieds. NSX's do hold their value and finding a decent 97+ for under or around 50k shouldn't be too hard (2002 models were selling for around 75k off the showroom floor) when shopping in the used car segment I tend to look at the Macro and not the micro. I've seen people pick a car to death. If I could afford new one I would buy one, (actually with that price range for new I would have even more choices to go nuts about lol) I realize I'm looking at a "Used" car, there are going to be some rock chips, the leather is not going to be pristine my biggest concerns are no accidents, clean car fax and only a couple of owners in the cars history.

I obviously would get the vehicle checked out by a competent acura tech before plopping down 50k

Reading some post on NSX prime some people find a small ding in the finish and a scuff mark on the interior footwell on a 91 NSX with 50k miles and all the sudden the deals off lol.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:18 PM

Here is a thread I started at NSX prime regarding the value of used NSX's(they have a pricing area for used NSX's in their faq)

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread....&threadid=19275

Don't get me wrong please, the NSX is a great vehicle and back in the day was worth every penny for the performance and craftmanship that you got but the MY 2003 are priced out of the market performance wise.

It is also my opinion that there are a lot of inflated prices out there for the used NSX's partially related to the fact that a new one retails at 90k. Yes, the NSX is a borderline exotic but jesus, there is no way I'm going to pay 60k for a 97 NSX-T in awesome condition when a month or two ago people were getting brand new MY 2002's for 75k. It just doesn't make mathmatical sense to me. The NSX isn't a diamond, it does depreciate with use. I guess its just supply and deamand, I'm willing to wait it out though I will get a nice 97 NSX T with less then 50k miles, for less then 50,000 !
Old 07-02-2003, 12:20 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like me, I put an order for a 350Z about a year ago. While I was waiting I looked at the M3 and the boxster S and the S2000 and the Z06. I got to drive them all except the Z06. I never got down the line to used cars or else I'd have looked at the NSX and the 911.

I bought the S2000 but still haven't driven the 350Z. but it sounds like I made the right decision for me.

The NSX is my favorite car on the list. Some people may say it's not as fast as say a EVO or STi that cost a good deal less. But it's faster than my S2000 and I think for the most part that's fast enough for most people in most situations. I mean I'm not a drag racer.

I think fun-to-drive is more important than absolute speed.

Old 07-02-2003, 12:49 PM

But it's faster than my S2000 and I think for the most part that's fast enough for most people in most situations. I mean I'm not a drag racer.
The NSX's performance is on par with the S2000, (or vice versa) its basically all about looks and being unique when comparing the two. I think the NSX is slightly easier for a novice driver like myself, driving at "MY" limits I feel I could take the turns a little faster the NSX. I did like the exhause note of the S2000 slightly better though