Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone going to the Detroit Auto Show?

Old 01-10-2002, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasn't there a rumor floating around about a Honda project car to be displayed for the 1st time at the Detroit show ? Someone thought it might be a 2 seater roadster !

Stealthy_S2K ..... If that is ture, post to this theard as soon as you get home.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:02 AM

My God

I can't believe this. AutoShow last night rock.

I saw finally saw road going Mistu EVO VII. It has Yoko A042R tires on it. The tires looks pretty abused. The woman told me this is going to be available around now next year. So, look for one in my garage.

Next stop, Subaru. There isn't much to say. They brought Rally WRX STi to the show, which they did last year too. So, there isn't much to see.

I stop by Toyota just to eat. I was so hungry before I got to the show. Fortunatly, they put their food next to their brand new F1 car. (Now, I think of it, I forgot to take any pictures of the new car). So, while I eat, I was be able to see this bad ass F1.

On the Honda side, There is nothing much to see also (these japanese company pisses me off).

Ford brought their new GT40 to the show. They fire up the engine once in a while. Let me tell you, the sound of it rocks. Especially it is enclosed floor. I can hear the engine sound from the other side of the main floor.

I like the new Mazda RX-8. It looks like a pretty good car. I hope it better be fast too.

Also, the new NSX. It looks like the regular one. Except, they dual Xenon light looks way too cool.

Mini Cooper is awesome. I don't understand why they even bother to have a back seat. I will take one of these without any back seat. So, I can haul four racing tires to the track. Pretty weird.

Now, the thing that totally made my day. I spotted BMW PTG Race car driver, Bill Auberlen and Hans Stuck. They were in the show to introduce BMW E46 M3 SMG. I don't think anyone was paying attention to what they are saying. I figure I am defintely going to take pictures of these guys. Best of all, I got to sit in that AC Schinitzer E46M3 GTR. I was so shocked that I fit in the racing seat. (since I got such a big butt). It is suprisingly comfortable. Bill was a cool guy. He was basically our tour guide for the BMW Motorsport stuff. Later on, I was talking to one of show person in BMW. She told us that we were the only people that recognized them the whole night. (damn, I am too cool). I got their autograph (thanks to my girlfriend). I finally touched a real F1 car. Go BMW. and the very last, I sat in the E46M3 SMG. It feels good. I can't stop smiling in the pictures. I was so excited. Oh, the new 7 series is cool. But, Still not as cool as Bill and Hans.

Since I have such a good time in BMW, so Mercede and Porsche sort of sux. :~ :~ :~

Ferrari, they got another Ferrari F1 in the show room (Finally). But, their floor is not that big at all. Most of the spaces occupied by Maserati. Ferrari doesn't even have F550 at all. What were they thinking. 8)7

Lambo have their new mercialago (I forgot the spelling, but this is how you pronounce it, I confirmed it with Lambo sales). The new car looks nice, but it really lack of charactor. I dunno, this car just doesn't looks right. I do like the Diablo a lot better. and, I don't have to ask how to pronounce Diablo.

Ok, I am done with my typing. I will let you guys enjoy the pictures here. http://www.aacarclub.com/gallery/AutoShow2002_Perry

Have fun guys and don't miss the autoshow.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:22 AM

Hey Perry,

Thanks for the write up and pics. Looks like you had a great time! Did the lady at Mtisu mention how much the EVO VII was going to be and what trip/spec levels they were gonna have?

What was the security like at the show? Did they have frisks/pat down's and detector wands (handheld metal detectors)?

My wife told me that she heard they were even going to check under women's shawls to make sure nobody was carrying a bomb!

I'm looking forward to going! I know it's a little belated, but Happy new year too by the way mate!

Cheers,
Old 01-12-2002, 07:35 AM

EVO will be around $28,000.
Old 01-12-2002, 08:03 AM

Stealthy_S2K ........ Thanks for the pics! Looks like you had a good time and not very crowded too.

Thanks again for posting the pics for us !
Old 01-13-2002, 06:07 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm very tempted to try to drive up there next Friday but I'm not sure it would be worth driving 2000 miles (round trip) to spend 3 hours or so at the show. Would you guys that have been there do it?
Old 01-13-2002, 07:06 AM

I live just 2 hours South of Detroit. If you have never been to one of the nation's largest auto shows, it might be worth the drive. I would pick a year were the car(s) of my choice are going through some major changes or a new model. Two years ago I went to the Detroit show and saw the S2000 for the first time! I kept going to the TT, then to the Boxster, then to the M3, and back to the S2000. I did the circle for about an hour. I fell in LOVE (big time) with the S2000 and ordered one the following fall.
Old 01-13-2002, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by CG
I'm very tempted to try to drive up there next Friday but I'm not sure it would be worth driving 2000 miles (round trip) to spend 3 hours or so at the show. Would you guys that have been there do it?
I'm about 250 miles away, and it is definitely worth that drive. Honestly, if you have never been, you should definitely go. It is truly a sight to see, some of the coolest displays ever.

All local shows pale in comparison after Detroit.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:02 AM

Received 800 Likes on 711 Posts

My wrap up of the show, which was great, is:

Honda: Lots of civics and accords laying around. There was a yellow S2000 getting looked over (and worked over by the people who have 0 respect for cars), a couple insights, the new CRV, the new Pilot, a 2001 Indy car (a penske car painted black), the turbocharged jet-ski and a few other Honda products.

Acura: Their full lineup, plus one butt-ugly concept car (the RDX). Definately NOT a 2 seat roadster. The revised NSX looked nice though.

Subaru: Perry covered them pretty well. The Rally car looked pretty nice, nothing special though.

Porsche: TONS of em! I was really excited to walk in the door and see a row of 911s greeting me. Saw a 911 GT2 - very nice looking car. Funny to listen to people talk about it, explaining the car to another person when they don't have a clue what it is ("oh, these are about $105,000, not that fast though").

BMW: Full lineup, including an M5 and the M3 SMG that Perry mentioned. Also a BMW F1 car (I believe an '00 car), and an M3 GTR Le Mans race car. I didn't get to sit in it though A whole slew of the new 7 series, very nice looking car. There was a line of people to plop their butt into it, so no word on the interior. A hydrogen powered 7 was there as well.

Ferrari: The full lineup was there - a red 360, a yellow 360 spyder, a silver 456, and a silver (I think) 550 (not sure how you missed it perry?), along with a '99 or '00 F1 car with all the stickers peeled off.

Lamborghini: There was 2 Murci