Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone have experience with buying Mercedes new?

Old 04-19-2019, 03:24 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Are you sure you want to 'own'? Most of their cars drop a lot in value. A lease or CPO is a better option in my opinion.

My experience with German cars is that replacement parts are rather expensive and they're over engineered. Not that the driving experiencing isn't a blast it just seems to be more work then it's really worth.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:47 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Not that the driving experiencing isn't a blast it just seems to be more work then it's really worth.
I haven't driven the AMG GT, but have driven plenty of other models and numb steering has been a constant. They certainly go where you point them, but the steering feel is quite lacking.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:36 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

All I have to add is my wife (gf at the time) bought a '13 (last gen) C350 new, and it has been dead solid reliablr, now at 51k. I've been impressed, just the basic annual maintenance done and not a single problem other than the foot-operated parking brake got a little sticky at one point. It also gets 30mpg+ easy on the highway with the 302hp 3.5L.

I don't personally love the car - it's alright, but not really my thing as it feels like a watered down version of my similar '11 M3 sedan. But for my wife, it's been as low-maintenance and dependable as I could ever ask for. Also, other than the steering wheel, the interior and exterior look virtually new.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:11 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

MB dealerships for me have been the best to deal with. Everything from the sale to servicing has been good. Easily the best dealership experience. Better than Audi and bmw for sure.

Cars have been reliable but they were all leases for 3 yr 36k.
The following users liked this post:
vader1 (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 02:17 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by [DELETED]
I’m a Sales Manager at Mercedes-Benz of Wilsonville. If you have any questions whatsoever, put them here and I’ll answer them as transparently as possible.

The A35 will be a very exciting car. Should be priced aggressively, and with some support from MBUSA will lease out great, also...
I see from the MB website they do ED on the CLA but not the A class. Is that correct? Just not enough profit margin? Where is Wilsonville? If you were close I'd have you point me to a salesman.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:21 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I haven't driven the AMG GT, but have driven plenty of other models and numb steering has been a constant. They certainly go where you point them, but the steering feel is quite lacking.
I hear you. But that kind of steering is what I am finding on almost every car. My Cayman aint bad. The hope is to find something fun and not too expensive that will do 50,000 miles of mostly bad weather/road trip/winter daily duty which for me would last ten years until I retire, and have enough left over for a real daily used Miata RF when the 19's can be had in the low twenties. That will be where my steering feel and need for a manual come in.

But I have several "plans" of two car combinations that I just can't decide which one works for me. Fun to dream though.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:34 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I guess my thought is at 50k the car is just broken in. I think cars should go 100-150k before anything major needs love.
The following users liked this post:
JonBoy (04-23-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 05:57 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I see from the MB website they do ED on the CLA but not the A class. Is that correct? Just not enough profit margin? Where is Wilsonville? If you were close I'd have you point me to a salesman.
It's more than likely due to where it's built. Not all MB's come from Germany.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:14 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
European Delivery is available on cars that are built in Europe. The A-Class has a system of factories built for it all around the world, and all outside of Europe.

Wilsonville is 10 miles south of Portland, OR. If you’re in the market shoot me a DM and I’ll put a reasonable quote, to include shipping, in front of you.

thank you.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:15 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
It's more than likely due to where it's built. Not all MB's come from Germany.
correct.

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with buying Mercedes new?