Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ariel Atom - Honda powered

Old 07-19-2005, 02:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Ariel Atom - Honda powered

A couple of threads about this car came up (one here and one in the Toronto forum) just before I went on vacation. I happened to drive right by Ashland, OR, so I decided to stay the night there and visit the factory the next morning.
Here's a link to what started it all:
http://www.ariel.us.com/04/frames.htm
You can scroll to the bottom left to view the movie.

Here is their 15,000 sq. ft. facility:

I was told that sometime by the end of this year, they will be moving to a new 25,000 sq. ft. site closer to I-5.
I spoke with the owner about his venture. Although he answered all the questions I asked, he was a "guarded" person. He did not volunteer any additional information. I would have thought that he'd take advantage of a little bit of free publicity.
His company has just worked out a deal with the company in UK to manufacture this car, from scratch, entirely in the US. NO parts will be purchased from the UK company. At present, they have no plans to market this car as a kit, where the purchaser can built the car in his own garage. The car will be completely assembled and shipped. You can buy it with or without engine. You can put any engine you like that will fit into the space. The car would be shipped on a large pallet in shrink wrap. It has no key but will have Honda's immobilizer system and a "fob" with the proper code will be included. Depending upon your DMV rulings, these "could" be licenced for street use as they come with all the lights needed and since it's a "kit car", it doesn't have to meet crash tests.
The most basic price (with engine) would be approx. $35,000.00 US for the 160HP version. The fully loaded price (with all the spoilers and other goodies) would be approx. $65,000.00 US for the 300HP version.
At the time of my visit, their only working car was being introduced at Laguna Seca. I took pictures of what was left behind in their factory:

Old 07-19-2005, 02:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

i saw clarkson review this car on Top Gear, with a honda vetc Type R civic engine in it...the power and the fact that it has no functional windscreen made for face peeling under accelleration. it was an impressive car, would not take much to take it to the street...limited appeal though as it has nothing that would promote driving it on the street. thanks for the photo tour and i am glad it is being made here.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hirev,Jul 19 2005, 03:46 PM
the fact that it has no functional windscreen made for face peeling under accelleration.
Full face helmet for sure. Brammo Motorsport is about to design a better coverage windscreen to offer more protection against wind and rain. You are correct. It'll have a very limited appeal for street use (although 2 were running in the state of Washington). Wouldn't it be thrilling to see one coming up fast on your rear view?
Old 07-19-2005, 03:10 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

why don't they put a windshield in this car?
Old 07-19-2005, 03:52 PM
Community Organizer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh God... gimme gimme gimme
Old 07-19-2005, 03:59 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Jul 19 2005, 04:03 PM
Full face helmet for sure. Brammo Motorsport is about to design a better coverage windscreen to offer more protection against wind and rain. You are correct. It'll have a very limited appeal for street use (although 2 were running in the state of Washington). Wouldn't it be thrilling to see one coming up fast on your rear view?
I've actually seen one of the two up and running in Washington. Interesting sight on the road...
Old 07-19-2005, 06:37 PM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

There was one at the Speed Ventures Cal Speedway event in May: http://www.speedventures.net/event_results...results=OA&s=lt
It ran some good times, comparable to a well-driven, well-modded S2000 on R-compounds. Would have looked for it to be quicker given the power/weight, but it was hindered by lack of downforce...not to mention they probably didn't want to wreck it if it's one of only two in existence.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Kel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Ariel's website :
Old 07-19-2005, 06:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Dave. Did you get a test drive?
Old 07-19-2005, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if street legal, it would be an ideal track car. no extra cash spent on a truck and flat bed. just simply drive the car to the event. seems like a z06 replacement for me

Quick Reply: Ariel Atom - Honda powered