Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ariel Atom - Honda powered

Old 07-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Community Organizer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HunterEz,Jul 19 2005, 09:43 PM
From Ariel's website :
OMG

... I need to be alone for a few...
Old 07-19-2005, 07:25 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PeaceLove&S2K,Jul 19 2005, 07:57 PM
Dave. Did you get a test drive?
I wish. Their only completed car was out of town when I was there.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you trust anything made the "USA".
Old 07-19-2005, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by cutes2k,Jul 19 2005, 11:35 PM
Would you trust anything made the "USA".
Beats "Mexico."

But, seriously, whoever is making these are sure to be enthusiasts, not overpaid union domestic factory workers.

-Matt
Old 07-20-2005, 05:52 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Jul 19 2005, 05:40 PM
His company has just worked out a deal with the company in UK to manufacture this car, from scratch, entirely in the US. NO parts will be purchased from the UK company.
So it's pretty much a licensing deal. Wow, that astonishes me. I assume Ariel has some way to ensure that the quality is good enough to not generate any bad press for them.

I wonder what "from scratch" means. Surely various bits on the UK Atom are sourced from various companies, and not made in-house. Why wouldn't the US company simply do the same thing, from the vendors already set up to produce Atom parts? Or maybe that's simply in regards to the frame - I can see how, given the specs, the US company could make it themselves, or have it made, for cheaper than shipping units from the UK.

I wonder what engine choices they'll offer? IIRC, the UK Atom uses a Civic Type R powerplant that we don't get here. Maybe they'll offer the 210hp RSX-S engine?
Old 07-20-2005, 06:36 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan,Jul 20 2005, 06:52 AM
So it's pretty much a licensing deal. Wow, that astonishes me. I assume Ariel has some way to ensure that the quality is good enough to not generate any bad press for them.

I wonder what "from scratch" means. Surely various bits on the UK Atom are sourced from various companies, and not made in-house. Why wouldn't the US company simply do the same thing, from the vendors already set up to produce Atom parts? Or maybe that's simply in regards to the frame - I can see how, given the specs, the US company could make it themselves, or have it made, for cheaper than shipping units from the UK.

I wonder what engine choices they'll offer? IIRC, the UK Atom uses a Civic Type R powerplant that we don't get here. Maybe they'll offer the 210hp RSX-S engine?
I was told that Brammo will make their own tubular frames. Obviously, things like instrument clusters, rims, rads will be from existing sources. They are trying to "ink" a deal with Honda for engines.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not streel legal here, is it?
Old 07-20-2005, 07:52 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

$65k for one of those seems like a bunch of $ to me.

How much were the original Collin Chapman Lotus's compared to other cars? seems like all the sudden "light and fast" = damned expensive.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:32 AM

[QUOTE=Elistan,Jul 20 2005, 05:52 AM] I wonder what engine choices they'll offer?
Old 07-20-2005, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"His company has just worked out a deal with the company in UK to manufacture this car, from scratch, entirely in the US. NO parts will be purchased from the UK company. At present, they have no plans to market this car as a kit, where the purchaser can built the car in his own garage. The car will be completely assembled and shipped. You can buy it with or without engine. You can put any engine you like that will fit into the space. The car would be shipped on a large pallet in shrink wrap. It has no key but will have Honda's immobilizer system and a "fob" with the proper code will be included. Depending upon your DMV rulings, these "could" be licenced for street use as they come with all the lights needed and since it's a "kit car", it doesn't have to meet crash tests."

I am confused. Does the purchaser assemble the cars with parts built in the States or they buid it and ship to the purchaser.........

Quick Reply: Ariel Atom - Honda powered