Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Aston Martin V12 Vantage Test Drive

Old 10-05-2010, 09:54 AM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Aston Martin V12 Vantage Test Drive

I received an invitation to an Aston Martin test drive event a few weeks ago. I think I got the invite because I was a customer of the sister Porsche dealership.

I had the first test drive slot of the morning and chose to take out a black V12 Vantage.

This car looks even more beautiful in the metal than in pictures. It comes across aggressively muscular, but doesn't scream "look at me" as does say a Lamborghini Gallardo. To my eyes, the Vantage is the most handsome car in the Aston lineup.

Pulling open the driver's door, I notice the unusual upward sweep. The design is such that the door will maintain its position throughout the sweep. This could be handy in a parking situation when you don't want the door to either swing into the adjacent car or to swing shut. I climb into the driver's seat. I'm perched noticeably higher than the seating position I'm used to in my Cayman. The starting ritual involves pushing the crystal key into a slot in the center console and holding it there.

The V12 rumbles awake and sounds pretty menacing at idle. I push in the clutch pedal. It's light and the motion range is short. The gear lever moves easily into first and I pull away. I love the feel of the suede covered steering wheel. Steering effort is nice and meaty - definitely heavier than the helm of my Cayman. Visibility is great and the car doesn't feel intimidating at all in traffic.

The test drive route includes a few miles of open roadway with some nice climbs and dips and high speed sweeping corners. I don't push the car very hard through those corners but enough to feel the positive turn in and decent feedback from the wheel. Before this test drive, I had the expectation that an Aston Martin would be a heavy and imprecise beast with soft, loosely controlled body motion. The V12 Vantage doesn't feel like that at all. It's taut yet nicely damped with a ride that's a bit firmer than the Cayman's. It's not as agile as my Porsche, but I would say it feels as athletic as an E9x M3.

The highlight of the drive is putting my right foot down hard on the throttle. The V12 Vantage is quick. I max out second gear and most of third gear. The Aston feels more accelerative than a LS3 Corvette but not quite as strong as a Z06. Even more pleasurable than the sensation of being pushed back into the seat is that wonderful V12 soundtrack. This is my new choice for best-sounding car.

I really enjoyed this morning's drive and won't soon forget the experience.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review! I used to love getting dealer invites. Haven't had Aston come through with one though

I think it's a gorgeous car, and quite frankly, a car I'd much rather own if choosing between it and a Bentley GT Coupe - despite the Bentley being more costly and 'prestigious.'

My girlfriend's uncle has a GT Coupe that he loves, but only for the reason that every time he drives it, people on the street look at him with adoring yet resentful eyes.

I think the Aston would appeal much more to a real driver.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoyed the review.

As much as I'm a fan of shoehorning a V12 in the smallest Aston model available, I feel some of the sweetness of the Vantage design is lost with all the extra cladding, splitters and louvered hood. Oh and the wheels just aren't right for this car.

I imagine all these concerns would simply vanish once I buried my foot in the throttle and became seduced by acoustic pleasures spoken of.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:48 PM

I'm also not a fan of the hood louvres or wheels. I wonder if anyone offers a more attractive aftermarket hood. A set of HRE P40s would be good replacement for the stock wheels. I could live with the front splitter and side skirts, though.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:34 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Good review!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:06 PM

Awesome
I wish I could get a dealer invite to test drive an Aston Martin.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:21 PM

Great car. Does it feel big?
Old 10-05-2010, 08:21 PM

WET DREAMS X_X
Old 10-06-2010, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ,Oct 5 2010, 07:21 PM
Great car. Does it feel big?
It didn't feel that big. Interestingly, a C6 Corvette feels bigger from the driver's seat. Although a lighter car, the C6 seems larger on the road due to the view of the long hood and the low seating position.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:03 AM

This wasn't going to make it to the US until recently.
They are selling very well in the UK and competing against GT3's
So much so the initial limited run of 1000 is nearly all sold and they have now decide to unlimit the number of them.

I drove one at the factory a month are so ago.
Superb car (but then I'm biased )
In sport mode they are mental and sound
The CF louvres and splitters are functional but do look a bit OTT.
On the lighter colours some have colour coded them.
On the darker colours they don't show as much.
it is 24 cm wider than an S2000 and 20 cm longer

Just a shame they are not going to make a V12 Roadster, I'll just have to make do with my V8V roadster

Quick Reply: Aston Martin V12 Vantage Test Drive