Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Attn: Dr. Airgate... WTF is *this*???

Old 11-11-2002, 06:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Attn: Dr. Airgate... WTF is *this*???

Okay, since I don't visit over here on Car Talk all that often, someone feel free to "invite me to 2 months ago"...but I cannot fathom Honda making this sk8r-crowd car (should I call it a car???...mebe a blashphemy??? -- okay, so I wear my heart on my sleeve some times...but reeeeaally now!)... WTF is this new Honda?

Old 11-11-2002, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's called the Honda "Element."
Old 11-11-2002, 06:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by S2000typeR
It's called the Honda "Element."
Sorry... After my rant, I should have elaborated: I saw this "Element" showcased on a weekend cable car show. Recognized it as a Honda (because of its emblem) and then turned up the volume immediately. So my better rant (and that is all this is), is What was Honda thinking??? It just looks horrible to me. From a strictly "Honda" standpoint, I just don't know of Honda ever having made such a pukey lookin' vehicle
Old 11-11-2002, 06:53 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, I'm laughing my ASS off!

The new Element is a new Honda indeed! The most exciting thing is that this new Element may be the new platform for Honda's all-new (1st ever) pickup truck!

From hondanews.com
The Element will go on sale in December 2002.

By combining popular traits from pickup trucks, SUVs and other vehicles that deliver one or two functions well but for a trade-off, Element aims to provide the best overall package with a hard flat floor like a pickup, an enclosed rear area like an SUV, fuel economy and handling performance like a car, available 4-wheel-drive, and a price starting around $16,000.

Side cargo doors with no B-pillar open from the center and allow for easy loading of bulky items. For sports gear including mountain bikes, snowboards, surfboards and other equipment, the rear seats flip to the side to create a vast cargo area. The rear seats also lay flat to form a bed with the front seats, or can be removed entirely.

Element is available in two trim levels, the entry DX and the fully-loaded EX. The EX models add alloy wheels, ABS, air conditioning, cruise control, power mirrors, audio system and more.

The rugged and worry-free interior of EX models features waterproof material on the front and rear bucket seats (front seat only on DX models). A urethane-coated utility floor resists water, dirt and scratches while providing easy clean up and easy cargo loading. A large rear skylight (on 4WD models) tilts or removes completely and stores inside the vehicle. The gear shifter for manual and automatic transmissions is located on the center of the instrument panel, within quick reach from the steering wheel. Element EX models come equipped with a 270-watt 7-speaker (with subwoofer) AM/FM/CD sound system and an auxiliary audio input built into the dash for digital media/MP3 players.

Composite body panels around the fenders further enhance Element's ruggedness by providing better resistance to scratches and wear than traditional painted exterior surfaces. The split rear tailgate bottom opens down - creating room for two to sit - while the upper part of the tailgate opens up and creates a canopy.

Honda's 2.4-liter, i-VTEC, 4-cylinder engine with 160-horsepower and 161 lb.-ft. of torque, coupled to either a 4-speed automatic or a 5-speed manual transmission, provides good acceleration while maintaining fuel economy in the low- to mid-twenties (EPA certification pending).

The i-VTEC system (the "i" stands for "intelligent") combines Honda's patented VTEC system with Variable Timing Control (VTC) to enhance low rpm torque while extending high rpm horsepower. Honda's Real Time 4WD™ system is available on both DX and EX models, and 16-inch wheels are standard.

Element's chassis features a Toe Control Link MacPherson strut suspension in front and a compact double-wishbone suspension in the rear. Although similar to the underpinnings of the Honda CR-V, significant adjustments have been made to the unibody construction to allow for the B-pillarless design, larger tires and the low, flat floor. Element is anticipated to earn the highest government crash test ratings for front and side-impacts - five stars for all passengers. Driver's and passengers front airbags are standard along with front seatbelts with load limiters and buckle pre-tensioners. Driver and front passenger factory-installed side airbags are available on EX models.

Element is based on the Model X concept vehicle that debuted at the 2001 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Many of the features displayed on the concept vehicle are incorporated into the final production version.

I'll get to drive one soon enough and for a few days too! The big 'ole write up with pics is soon approaching!

Besides. . .it's better than owning a MINI!
Old 11-11-2002, 06:56 PM

Hopefully they'll drop a F32C with 6 speed transmission inside the "Element ."

... in my dreams..
Old 11-11-2002, 06:57 PM

Oh.. and happy 1 year w1ngman!
Old 11-11-2002, 07:07 PM

I was considering getting the Element for my 2nd car since it seems to be on the other end of the scale of practicality from the S2000. It's beautiful in a functional, ugly way, and I love it. I'm not into skating at all, though.

I find it hard to believe Honda's going to base their upcoming trucks on the Element platform though, since the Element is after all just a stiffened up and slightly-modified CRV.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:10 PM

it's made by Tonka
Old 11-11-2002, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda reliability plus lots of cargo room, I like it.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:19 PM

I don't really get it either. But I'm betting it will sell just fine even if it's not my thing.

Here's a prototype at a meet in Ohio:

More here:
https://www.s2ki.com/imagecatalog/customima...mageview/29284/
https://www.s2ki.com/imagecatalog/customima...mageview/29285/
https://www.s2ki.com/imagecatalog/customima...mageview/29286/

Quick Reply: Attn: Dr. Airgate... WTF is *this*???