Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Audi S4 test drive

Old 12-28-2009, 08:16 AM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MrClean,Dec 28 2009, 09:10 AM
I noticed you said the S4 is not thrilling to drive, but do you consider the E55 thrilling?
Most of the time, my E55 is a comfy, boring car. It's set up for cruising, and doesn't have the handling responses to make you want to go for it on a canyon road. The only source of thrills is the gas pedal, and the thrills are proportionate on how hard you push down on that right pedal.

The E55 is a car that can trap 116mph stock. My car has a pulley, tune and cooling mods for stronger than stock perfromance. If I want to blow away the boredom of a drive, I just need to go WOT for a few seconds to feel the accelarative g force and hear the accompanying V8 soundtrack.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Meeyatch1,Dec 28 2009, 11:45 AM
A friend of mine received one of the first new S4s in the country and seems to like it very much. and raved about the transmission. I kind of tossed around the idea of one until I saw it and was bored to tears. Now, on the other hand, the S5 has my full attention, and (ironically enough) took my focus away from trying to find a nice E55 or E63. While I was in L.A. a few weeks ago I saw a BEAUTIFUL white S5 with dark tinted windows and the factory wheels accented with white to match the car and fell in love. Right now the S5 seems to be leading in the looks department over at Audi when it comes to cars most people can reasonably expect to own (hence why I am leaving out the R8). I have yet to drive one. But if it drives as good as it looks, a white S5 may be finding a home with me very soon.
Yep - this is a car that I'm still staring at (in stock form) after 4 months of ownership. She's a looker

My suggestions on buying one:

1. Lease it (we're still a few years away from Audi carrying a good resale value)
2. Buy the extended maintenance package
3. Don't own it out of warranty

I've put 2,300 miles on mine and it has been in the shop 3 times already. It has all been BS little things: Bluetooth funkiness (twice) and once for the smart key entry system. None of it was broken. It just wasn't working 100% of the time. It wasn't working enough to be annoying - especially after never experiencing these little issues with other cars.

Other than that stuff, awesome car!
Old 12-28-2009, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waltk88,Dec 28 2009, 12:16 PM
Most of the time, my E55 is a comfy, boring car. It's set up for cruising, and doesn't have the handling responses to make you want to go for it on a canyon road. The only source of thrills is the gas pedal, and the thrills are proportionate on how hard you push down on that right pedal.

The E55 is a car that can trap 116mph stock. My car has a pulley, tune and cooling mods for stronger than stock perfromance. If I want to blow away the boredom of a drive, I just need to go WOT for a few seconds to feel the accelarative g force and hear the accompanying V8 soundtrack.
I can see that.

Sounds like an accurate account from what i remember too.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by exb00st,Dec 28 2009, 11:42 AM

Beautiful S5!
Old 12-28-2009, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Meeyatch1,Dec 28 2009, 10:45 AM
A friend of mine received one of the first new S4s in the country and seems to like it very much. and raved about the transmission. I kind of tossed around the idea of one until I saw it and was bored to tears. Now, on the other hand, the S5 has my full attention, and (ironically enough) took my focus away from trying to find a nice E55 or E63. While I was in L.A. a few weeks ago I saw a BEAUTIFUL white S5 with dark tinted windows and the factory wheels accented with white to match the car and fell in love. Right now the S5 seems to be leading in the looks department over at Audi when it comes to cars most people can reasonably expect to own (hence why I am leaving out the R8). I have yet to drive one. But if it drives as good as it looks, a white S5 may be finding a home with me very soon.
That'll be a beeyatch, meeyatch, to get the little one in and out of the back seat.

I felt the same way about the looks of the S4. I would have probably liked the Avant had it been brought to the US.

Itching for a new ride myself, I decided to sell the Audi Avant for a BMW 328i Sport Wagon with the M Sport pkg.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, MrClean - the 2nd pic isn't actually my photo, but the same car. Just thought it kicked ass.

As for a back seat... I'd have opted for this... too bad we don't get it in the US either.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my friend bought a white S4 one a coupe of weeks ago. had a ride. pretty nice. he told me it cost 69xxx OTD.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:45 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jemje2006,Dec 28 2009, 10:48 PM
he told me it cost 69xxx OTD.
He must have gone all out, lives in the county with the nastiest tax rate ever, or had a trade with negative equity.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Dec 28 2009, 07:25 AM
I had to choose between the SC6 S4 and V8 S5. It was a very tough decision. In a lot of ways I wished I'd picked the S4, but I'm still very happy with the S5. I think the new S4 is slightly the better performing vehicle while the S5 brings it in the sound and looks department. 4 doors and better gas mileage sure are convenient though.
You made the right decision. I'd pick the S5 over the S4 anyday.
S5 is such a gorgeous car.

Dan
Old 12-29-2009, 09:46 AM

Audis have come a VERY long way in the styling department - the S5 probably being one of the nicest looking new cars on the road today... but.. I have driven an S5, a couple A4s, the TT and a LUST after an R8 - but the AWD, the isolated feeling... its probably the most "detached" and "uninspired" of any car I've driven. Posh DDs, but hardly what'd I'd consider exciting.

Quick Reply: Audi S4 test drive