Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Audi S5 - Long Term Update

Old 06-01-2010, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi S5 - Long Term Update

Greetings Car Talk!

I've been asked a few times about my experience with my S5 so far, and have only had the chance to reply with short responses, so I figured with 10,000 miles on her, now's a good time to share more.

Last year, I was looking for a bigger, more comfortable car to replace my 2006 S2000 with -- a luxury coupe. I ended up cross-shopping the G37, 335i, M3 and S5. Long story short, I ended up with the G37 because I had felt at the time it was the biggest bang for the buck. After a few months with the 2008 G37, I noticed small nuisances, that shouldn't be in a 45k car (she was loaded with the Sport, Tech and Premium, Navigation packages). I'm pretty knit-picky with my cars so this was a big deal for me. I began to have buyer's remorse and wish I had gotten the S5. After owning the G for 6 months, it was totaled... perfect time to get the car I should have gotten, but at the time, couldn't justify the price for.

The S5 is a 2009-- Ibis White exterior and Tuscan Brown Silk Nappa Leather interior. It has Navigation, Tech, Side Assist, Bang & Olufsen (and some other small things) and is a 6 speed manual.

VS. the S - totally different car, I will not extrapolate.

VS. the G - Its quieter inside, built to a whole different standard, more linear acceleration, shifts smoother (IMO as smoothly as the S, but my car may be a freak).

I'll be the first to admit-- I was skeptical about Audi's reliability. I would have NEVER thought I'd own one. All the horror stories about electronic gremlins/engine trouble had me running the other direction, until I saw the S5. Then I thought... eh, mayyybee it's worth the risk (it was THAT good looking to me).

The interior has held up extremely well. There are no creases, cracks or discoloration in the leather. Nothing squeaks or is loose (I'm a weirdo and like pressing on different panels inside and outside the car to make sure they're sturdy). I had this chronically creaking A-pillar, which was apparently very common on G coupes, that sounded like a bag of cats when I went over speed bumps or ramps, that is nowhere in the S5 -- which should be a given, but is a huge plus for me since I'd experienced it/was embarrassed by it in the past. The knobs and handles have the same great tactile feedback since the day I got it.

I haven't had any electronic malfunctions whatsoever. No burnt out bulbs, flashing check engine lights or gremlins so far. The MMI (Multi Media Interface) works seamlessly with all the devices I've tried it on. The car came with multiple cables to connect devices to (USB, mini USB, iPod, 3.5mm).

The outside is pretty much the same story for quality. After several details, I've noticed the paint is thicker on this car (but chips harder) than the Japanese cars I've owned. All the panels, even though you cannot see them, are also painted, and to the same standard as the outside (which I had an issue with on the G).

Quattro is awesome. I miss having AWD (had a 3000GT VR-4) and it's definitely been a plus since we've been getting tons of rain here in the Bay Area. The car provides as much feedback that the G did, but less so than the 3 series. I find the steering a bit light at times and it tends to stay pretty neutral like the 3, in contrast to the G which was difficult to judge it's limits/understeered.

My only gripes about the car is the crappy MPG it gets. It is rated at 14/22. I'm able to get 18/26 out of it, but it is still way off from the G (30+ MPG) and the S. Weird thing is that the 6 speed gets a gas guzzler tax, the auto doesn't.

Overall, at 10,000 miles, this car has definitely surpassed my expectations. I haven't had to take it to the dealer for anything besides service and I hope to keep it that way! Audi has a $600 prepaid maintenance package that I opted for which covers service at intervals of 10k miles until 60k (I believe). Definitely worth the money as the 5k service was already $300.

Hope this review helps anyone checking one of these cars out.

Here are some pics I took today with my phone (HTC Incredible). Last couple of pics caught glare from the sun.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds cool. I'm kinda curious to see what happens when it reaches the post-warranty mileage..that is the biggest concern about euro cars, atleast to me.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:49 PM

Nice review! I loove that leather. :-) When since does G cars get 30mpg? I've never heard that. I also didn't know of the 14/22 rating on this car. Wow. Good thing u manage a lot higher!

P.S.- that phone takes badass pics.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:54 PM

^ Thanks! Freeway cruising:

Old 06-01-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Saint_Spinner,Jun 1 2010, 03:41 PM
sounds cool. I'm kinda curious to see what happens when it reaches the post-warranty mileage..that is the biggest concern about euro cars, atleast to me.
This kind of stuff needs work post warranty:

Stuff like timing chains and tensioners, and other bs. For people like me who work on VAG stuff all day, it's a godsend because these suckers are gonna depreciate so hard that we'll get them cheap out of warranty.

For the not so mechanically inclined...expect to be raped by dealerships and even independent shops.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S5's are sex. I'd love to own one.

Beautiful car. Nice color combo.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:28 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

wow. the phone camera is nice.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend that has the exact same car, same color, same tranny. It was a sweet ride. I did think the navi system sucked compared to the one in my odyssey. Your thoughts?
Old 06-01-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Gorgeous car. IMO the best looking car in the market right now.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subtle htc incredible brag thread

(its ok i have one too and i love it )

Quick Reply: Audi S5 - Long Term Update