Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Autobahn experiences?

Old 09-15-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Autobahn experiences?

So I just got back from Europe and had my first stint on the autobahn. It was not all perfect because there were several segments of construction and resulting backups. Also one accident on the opposite side of the highway that had a backup that went for at least 15 miles of stopped traffic three lanes wide and all the Germans standing outside of their cars smoking and visiting with each other.

For any future reference, the crappy Puegeot 108 rental car we had tops out at about 112 mph. I held it there for almost 20 minutes straight. A little spooky but a fun experience even if it was a tin can.

Only had two cars really blow by me both big Audi's doing probably above 130 mph otherwise it was me and a line of tin cans rolling around 110 and not able to go much faster.

Amazing what better, more considerate and attentive drivers over there.

Anyone have any cool Autobahn experiences?
Old 09-15-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Old 09-15-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

First time I went to Germany, I rented a BMW X1 18i RWD 6MT. I looked it up and it's got 136hp lol.

I got it up to almost about 120mph and that's about it. It took a long time to get there. Once, I was in a bit of traffic and when the road finally opened up, I gunned it, and there's this Yaris right on my @$$ lol. That's how slow that X1 was.

The second time in Germany, I rented a BMW 418d 8AT. It's got way more omph down low, but still on the autobahn, it's slow as hell. I think I got it up to 125mph and that's about it. Again, it took a long time to get there.

Love driving in Germany though. People are courteous, they don't hog the left lane, and they all drive fast and efficiently without being dangerous. People know exactly what they are doing. No frustration driving there at all.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:29 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Had a similar experience in 2013. Rented a VW Tiguan TDI, which had good power and a nice DCT, and got it up to 119mph. Exactly right about the drivers there - had zero scary moments because people actually knew what they were doing, cared about it and were respectful of the rules and safety. It was great. The roadway was really smooth as well. I will say that the lanes in construction zones got really narrow though.

Side note: This was the summer where I hit 100+ in 4 straight rental cars. On this trip, in addition to 119 in the Tiguan I did 130-something in a GT86 at the 'Ring the following day, then 150 in a Z4 at the 'Ring a day later. Before all that I did a GPS-confirmed 103mph in a Toyota Yaris, because I was in the middle of Florida, bored out of my mind, and wanted the trip to be over. The Yaris was probably scariest even though there was no one in sight, just because it took so damn long to get there. I later found out that this was 2mph faster than Car and Driver got their tester to go!
Old 09-15-2017, 03:58 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

You guys could save a ton of $ and just visit a great plains state! Very cool though. Definitely on the bucket list.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:25 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Sat in a Merc going about 140.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been there when going to the Nurburgring last summer. We were a group of 10 cars, departed from the northern of france. A lot of bwms and audis, one porshe turbo, and me in my S2K, probably the least powerful with my pal RX8. Most of the group already had previous experience of the autobahn, so just following them, way over 200 km/h was easy. The S was surprisingly stable at those speed. Moving to 200 km/h is "easy", past that, you have to be patient.

Otherwise, like most people said, No left lane hogging, lots of road work (which you tend to bomb, if you are not careful!). You tend to be way more "on it" and braking hard a 150km/h+ to let someone pass is... interesting at first.
When we arrived the average gps speed was crazy, especially when you count the "slow" part.

Anyway, was a lot of fun, except for the gas mileage
Old 09-17-2017, 05:38 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by iforyou

Love driving in Germany though. People are courteous, they don't hog the left lane, and they all drive fast and efficiently without being dangerous. People know exactly what they are doing. No frustration driving there at all.
Could not have said that any better.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live about 20 miles from the German border in Switzerland. I drive a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3. On a Sunday morning outside of Munich, 3 lanes in each direction, very little traffic, I topped her out. The speedo was showing about 258 kmh (160 mph). Passenger took the photo:

I have also rented an Aston Martin DB9 Convertible and a Porsche Cayman GTS, but I only had them up to about 250 kmh (155 mph)
Old 09-17-2017, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back a week ago from Munich. The auobahn was a great expiernce had my M4 up to 266 km/hr, which it was limited to, and just cruised. Was a lot more limited then I expected but was a bucket list item for me.

Quick Reply: Autobahn experiences?