Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Autobahn experiences?

Old 09-18-2017, 03:26 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

First time on the Autobahn noted the first exit lead to Ausfahrt. As did did the next and the next and the next. Darn big town!

-- Chuck
Old 09-18-2017, 06:34 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Did European Delivery with our BMW 435i, 20 minutes after drving it out of the Welt we were doing 100 mph on the autobahn and got passed multiple times. Very courteous drivers.

Also did Stelvio Pass and Splugen Pass that same trip.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:13 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Did European Delivery with our BMW 435i, 20 minutes after drving it out of the Welt we were doing 100 mph on the autobahn and got passed multiple times. Very courteous drivers.

Also did Stelvio Pass and Splugen Pass that same trip.
Driving or biking the Stelvio and Splungen to be more fun than driving on the Autobahn to me.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I heard it's a rigorous process to get a driver's license in Germany. You need to pass an eye exam and an 8-hr long First-Aid course, and go to driving school before you can even do the tests.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iforyou
I heard it's a rigorous process to get a driver's license in Germany. You need to pass an eye exam and an 8-hr long First-Aid course, and go to driving school before you can even do the tests.
I can't speak for Germany, but I can speak for Switzerland as my gf is looking at getting her driver's license here I had to take the eye exam to convert my license. 10 minutes, costs about $20. One of the few things in Switzerland that is reasonably priced. Here you also have to take the First Aid course. Driving lessons cost about $100 per lesson. All in all, about $4k to get a license from beginning to end.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:34 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by clawhammer
I can't speak for Germany, but I can speak for Switzerland as my gf is looking at getting her driver's license here I had to take the eye exam to convert my license. 10 minutes, costs about $20. One of the few things in Switzerland that is reasonably priced. Here you also have to take the First Aid course. Driving lessons cost about $100 per lesson. All in all, about $4k to get a license from beginning to end.
God bless America!
Old 09-19-2017, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2
God bless America!
Why? Making it harder to get a driver's license (and providing alternate transportation methods) is actually a very good thing. It helps with traffic congestion, and driving is generally reserved to those who actually WANT to drive.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:35 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

You do not need a drivers license to drive a car. A good percentage of my employees lack them and their cars are in my parking lot as I type this. Don't need insurance either.

-- Chuck
Old 09-19-2017, 06:07 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by clawhammer
Why? Making it harder to get a driver's license (and providing alternate transportation methods) is actually a very good thing. It helps with traffic congestion, and driving is generally reserved to those who actually WANT to drive.
No, driving is then reserved for those that can both afford to and want to. We don't have public transportation like they do in Europe because no one really enjoys taking the bus. Sorry to break it to you. I grew up with very good public transportation and I hated sharing it with the general public. Call me a snob, but I'm really not interested in sitting beside someone talk about X for 45 minutes like it matters.

Europe made a move after the war to make it a difficult thing to drive. Thus public transportation was required to move people around. $4k to get certified to drive is insane. They tax the crap out of everything driving related. They don't want people to drive.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2
Call me a snob, but I'm really not interested in sitting beside someone talk about X for 45 minutes like it matters.
It's about perspective. I'd rather not be sharing the road with someone who doesn't want to be driving and is only driving because there is no better option available. If I have to pay a bit more for this "privilege", then so be it.

Quick Reply: Autobahn experiences?