Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

BAC Mono

Old 09-11-2011, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAC Mono

Just read about this car. This is one of the coolest cars I have ever seen. Ariel atom to the next level, and damn does it look amazing.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1PK0hVGGg4&feature=player_embedded[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCfIXLcmYUI[/media]
Old 09-12-2011, 03:58 AM

Not digging the looks. While sports racers (LMP looking cars) can be adapted to the road and still look good, I've never seen a good looking "formula car or the road". They always look chunky and misformed to me. This car isn't an exception.
That doesn't mean it's not fast or fun to drive of course.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:30 AM

KTM X-Bow?

Looks like fun if you don't like motorcycles. It just reminds me too much of a jet ski, after about 15 minutes of beating the crap out of it you are ready for a real car. One seat cars really are kinda silly unless you are racing for money.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:37 AM

I'm a single dude, and I would totally mash that thing around town. Rockville is right though. They do look funny on the road next to all of the minivans and stuff. Very interesting looking ride though. It reminds of a racing bike that my buddy built. That's awesome!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:18 AM

So would people rather drive that or say a Radical or the new Caterham-Lola toy which are also road legal in the UK (Street legal Caterham is expected next year)?
http://colinmcraeborntodrive.wordpre...y-colin-mcrae/
http://www.motorward.com/2011/01/cat...ototype-racer/

It just seems like you should be able to get an extra seat into a track day toy (something I think I would insist upon in a road legal car) and you shouldn't have to make it look like a transformer that got stuck half way.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it looks pretty cool, but would rather have a 2nd seat, to allow for instructor feedback from time to time.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:21 AM

I guess im just a sucker for the single central seat.
This car is useless for everything except racing but i like the idea of being able to drive to the track. Of course, if you can afford this car, you can afford the trailer to tow a real f3 car.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:16 PM

I think it looks sexy. The only drawback for me is the single seat. Otherwise, it beats out the Atom and the X-Bow in every way for me.

That tach is beautiful.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much does it weigh? I don't see any real advantage over an Atom unless you count the single seat (which I would find a downgrade personally). I'm sure it's really fun either way.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:54 PM

Found this article from TG magazine. Weighs about 1200lbs according to this. Atom 4cyl comes in at 1350lbs according to their site.

It would be easy to dismiss the single-seat BAC Mono as another garage-build special, another ‘racecar for the road' from a British start-up company, with a supercar-crushing power-to-weight ratio and a chassis constructed from bits of old washing machine and blind hope.

But the Mono is different, and not just because of its conspicuous lack of passenger seating. Though its headline stats are suitably devastating - 280bhp and a 540kg kerbweight means 519bhp per tonne, a 0-60mph time of 2.8 seconds and a top speed of 170mph - it's the sheer quality of the Mono that sets it apart. This is a pocket-sized masterpiece of engineering.

Directly behind the central seat, a Ford Duratec four-cylinder - worked over by Cosworth with a dry sump, forged pistons and con-rods - lurks exposed, butted up against a Xylon-coated six-speed sequential gearbox. This Hewland transmission, borrowed from an F3 racer, drives the rear wheels through a limited-slip differential. About the powertrain, the Mono's pushrod suspension clings gracefully to its tub like a spiders-web.

As the first media trusted to drive the Mono on the road, Top Gear is delighted to report that the BAC rides sublimely. With 10cm of wheel travel and perfectly judged damping, it bumbles over rutted city roads as calmly as a posh saloon. In fact, drive it gently and the Mono is astonishingly civilized and tractable, with none of the oh-bugger-it's-about-to-stall twitchiness of your run-of-the-mill trackday special.

But who wants to drive this thing gently? Find a few yards of open, empty road, wedge the accelerator deep into the pedal box and the Mono reveals itself to be... quick. Very quick. Absurdly quick. Quick enough to tear a neat single-seater hole in the space-time continuum. This midget monster serves up the sort of acceleration that leaves you screaming blind obscenities into your race helmet while simultaneously cackling like a madman.

Almost as shocking as that momentous, massless acceleration is how easy, how natural it is to drive the Mono fast. Lying almost on your back in the dead centre of the chassis, a wheel at each corner, engine behind your head and a never-ending slug of even, addictive power, it's an act of instinct to thread the Mono from corner to corner, rear tyres chatting convivially with your bottom.

At the very limit, there's a hint of understeer to prevent you headbutting the Armco, but for the most part, the BAC is deliciously neutral. If you're used to road cars - even supercars - the Mono requires a recalibration of your brain to its physics-warping abilities: brake deeper, turn in later, get on the power earlier. This is a supernaturally good track car.

Sure, £80,000 is a lot of cash for a car that'll require you to strap your significant other to the roll-hoop if you're planning a romantic weekend away together but, given the sheer depths of its performance and engineering, the Mono looks like a bit of a bargain to me.

But pleasing mere humans is one thing. Impressing Top Gear's white suited racing driver is quite another.
Love seeing the suspension working in this vid.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy9l4atGI3M[/media]

Quick Reply: BAC Mono