S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Behold the Model Y Tesla, a bulkier Model 3 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/behold-model-y-tesla-bulkier-model-3-a-1192537/)

Saki GT 03-15-2019 03:37 AM

Behold the Model Y Tesla, a bulkier Model 3

https://www.theverge.com/transportat...rst-drive-2019

Tesla's second SUV - seems to basically be a 3 but slightly bigger?

I think it looks better than the 3 overall, but I don't like the corporate nose at all.

termigni 03-15-2019 03:54 AM

too bad it's coming out next year. Picking up Model 3 tonight.

vader1 03-15-2019 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT (Post 24577925)

Tesla's second SUV - seems to basically be a 3 but slightly bigger?

Pretty much. Does not move the needle for me, especially with the incentive fading out and the high price for very basic interior. A $35k Mazda CX5 interior is far better, and at that price the turbo motor makes for a fun CUV. I am not sure I would pay nearly double to go much faster.

JonBoy 03-15-2019 06:45 AM

They certainly have a "corporate design language" - this thing is a perfect result of the marriage of a Model X and a Model 3. It looks silly, it uses that stupid corporate nose, and looks somewhat like a weird fish you'd see in an eccentric billionaire's home.

They can have it.

vader1 03-15-2019 08:59 AM

The investing world is taking it as a big "meh". I am curious to see how orders go. There has been so much hype for so long about Tesla and the stock has stagnated. I think this model will appeal to a bunch of buyers who want a model three with more room for stuff. I don't think it will be anywhere near the number of people who signed up to buy a model 3 and that will be bad news for Tesla. Other products are coming to market and they need a model S and X refresh and fast. The model 3 delivery times are down to a reported 2 weeks, (but I think it is more than that) which means pent up demand has been met. Now you have to go out and sell, sell, sell with somewhat old designs now against new products from other manufacturers. Couple that with a bunch of bond debt coming due and Tesla stock is in for a rough ride.

My brother is part of the cult and owns maybe $10k worth of stock because he "can't believe people don't want to get behind this awesome product." I tried to explain that you can love the product, buy the product and still see the stock might not be a good investment, which brought a very confused look from him. If you are mid forties or older you might remember a company Worlds of Wonder that had two Christmas toys that you could not find because they were such gold to stores and sold out as soon as they hit the shelves in Teddy Ruxpin and Laser Tag. They had the must have toy hit two years in a row and still went bankrupt shortly after. Popular product and company solvency are two very different issues. I thought Tesla's solar business was not doing well either.

I think to survive they need to quickly get their semi trucks to market, maybe sell their batteries to other car makers, and refresh a product line that was cutting age a couple years ago but seems kind of stale already, especially when they want premium pricing

WolfpackS2k 03-15-2019 10:31 AM

I don't understand the "corporate" front end treatment. The upturned lip AKA Duck Face. Completely unnecessary and looks bad IMO. I think the Model Y carries it's bulk better than the Model 3, but I wouldn't call it attractive. And right now it's set to go on sale towards the end of 2020, which is over 1 1/2 yrs from now, so that's not any time soon.

Also, are we gonna have a new thread for every new Tesla? Seems over the top ;)

zeroptzero 03-15-2019 12:55 PM

Other manufacturers are now running full tilt into the electrication of cars, that has to cut into Tesla's advantage and market share so I can't see their profitability getting any better. I guess they need a SUV like this to keep their product appealing to as many customers as possible.

zeroptzero 03-15-2019 01:11 PM

front end looks like someone accidentally backed up into it, much like a dented ping-pong ball. It is not very aerodynamic looking either ?

TheDonEffect 03-16-2019 09:49 AM

I think the biggest misstep Tesla took was underestimating the battery market and charging market. The hye was the Tesla was a proof of concept for electric cars, and when everyone was on board and needed batteries, hey Tesla will sell you the batteries and give you a place to charge it. Panasonic and such is out producing batteries. The gigafactory didnt turn out to be the game changer it was hyped to be.
Then theres all the real world practical issues that go with producing cars, let alone self driving cars. The silicon valley approach of disrupt and conque doesnt work when theres a ripe competitive market.

ssbfgc 03-16-2019 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect (Post 24578360)
I think the biggest misstep Tesla took was underestimating the battery market and charging market. The hye was the Tesla was a proof of concept for electric cars, and when everyone was on board and needed batteries, hey Tesla will sell you the batteries and give you a place to charge it. Panasonic and such is out producing batteries. The gigafactory didnt turn out to be the game changer it was hyped to be.
Then theres all the real world practical issues that go with producing cars, let alone self driving cars. The silicon valley approach of disrupt and conque doesnt work when theres a ripe competitive market.

Biggest misstep is a psychopath is at the helm. Just look at the turnover at the executive level. How many CAO’s have they gone through? Tesla was first to market and will be bankrupt in 5 years. The real auto manufacturers are quickly catching up and have the infrastructure to make Tesla irrelevant in short order.