Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Behold the Model Y Tesla, a bulkier Model 3

Old 03-16-2019, 03:34 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by ssbfgc

Biggest misstep is a psychopath is at the helm. Just look at the turnover at the executive level. How many CAO’s have they gone through? Tesla was first to market and will be bankrupt in 5 years. The real auto manufacturers are quickly catching up and have the infrastructure to make Tesla irrelevant in short order.
It does follow my point a bit, the company was built with silicon valley types who think ambition and optimism is all you need to get to the promise land. Cars have tons of practical issues that if ignored lead to very real consequences not to mention they're making durable goods, not software or intellectual property. These silicon valley types, as brilliant as they may be, arent grounded in common reality, so the high turnover isnt a surprise.

To do what Elon did, you have to be a psychopath, and brilliant. Excuse the pun but Edison, Ford, jobs, all names of people not known for their bedside manner either. Thing is Elon is built for think tanks and tech, building cars is just different. I've had many lengthy conversations regarding this during Tesla's early days, tech people just dont get it. They think that conpanies like Toyota and Ford didnt think of essentially everything Tesla did or had the means to bring it to fruition, they're just big dumb companies. When in truth they understand that having a car drive itself has a ton of liabilities, what Tesla did was spear headed the movement in a way only a small company whose value is bolstered by other peoples money can by taking reckless risks. I argued that once alot of those initial barriers are broken, watch how fast the market catches up because you're making a product that can be replicated, and probably even improved upon.

Bob Lutz summarized this best when he was talking about the Model X doors, he said people give Tesla so much credit for putting on innovative gullwing doors as if the other manufacturers didnt think of that because they all did and eventually ran into the same problems as will Tesla soon find out, and he was right.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:15 PM

Received 3,370 Likes on 2,450 Posts

What are the odds that Tesla will be bankrupt within 5 years time ? I honestly don't follow the issue very closely, but I keep hearing Musk's foes talking about how bad Tesla's balance sheet looks. I don't think top silicon valley people really understand or care about balance sheets, as talented as they may be. I'd be concerned buying a Tesla if it has a high probability of going out of business. I expect some other company could buy them for pennies on the dollar if that happens.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:46 PM

Received 733 Likes on 389 Posts

I don't know if Tesla will be bankrupt in 5 years but I have a very strong feeling they'll be majority Chinese-owned.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:18 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Tesla's line-up now spell out S3XY. What a troll...
Old 03-20-2019, 03:32 PM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

This car is not my cup of tea but the hate Is bordering on silly:
the front is bad
theres turnover of executives
theyre going bankrupt
theyre going to be owned by China
they aren’t selling enough batteries
everybody else is going to kill them when their electric cars come out
Elon is a psycho

Puh-lease. The market cap is $47 billion. That’s more than Ford and almost as much as GM. Go ahead and
short sell the stock. It’s an easy thing to do.

I like three pedals and noise and steering but I don’t pretend for a second that what’s 99.9% of drivers want. Give Tesla maybe an ounce of credit for understanding something about the car industry, having the guts to do what nobody else did, and all things considered executing pretty great.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:56 PM

Received 733 Likes on 389 Posts

FWIW I'm a big fan of what Elon's achieved, he's exactly the kick in the pants the industry needed, and he appears to have grand plans for making the world a better place through transport, solar power, payload delivery etc. I can't fault him on that and I wish I had an ounce of his vision and ability to get shxt done. All my comment related to was that China has splashed the cash on many manufacturers (indeed, in many industries) and Tesla would be a prime target for takeover in the event the economy wobbled enough to make investors/banks panic. The global economy seems to be fast heading that way now.

It is annoying, however, having to wait years for RHD production. We might have gone straight to a Model 3 if they were available last June. I understand the focus on LHD markets since that's the majority, but it's still frustrating nonetheless.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:12 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
I don't understand the "corporate" front end treatment. The upturned lip AKA Duck Face.
A little like a Renault Caravelle.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:42 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I dont think that they'll be bankrupt in 5 years, but I think the competition is getting fierce and that their next phase plan of being an energy company is falling short.

Anyway back on topic, did I hear right, righting 3.5 seconds?