Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Best choice for a couple expecting

Old 08-06-2016, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best choice for a couple expecting

Hi all,

This topic will be slightly related to Marioshi's. My wife and I are officially expecting as of this past Thursday. We currently have 4 cars in our 3 car garage (1 is my wife's 2008 Accord), but I would like to stick with 3 total. My wife's Accord will stay, it is pretty roomy and she is the original owner. I would like your thoughts on which route to proceed with. My wife and I say no to minivans, too large of a vehicle for her, and I grew up driving one (learner's permit driving). We plan on only having two children.

2007 S2000
Positives: I own, reliable, maintenance costs, handling, driving experience, safe
Negatives: 2 seater, small trunk, steering feel

2006 E46 M3
Positives: Seats 5, handling, steering feel, driving experience
Negatives: Financed, maintenance costs, long term reliability?, less mechanical feeling, headroom (I addressed with mounting bucket seat on floor)

1963 European Beetle Ragtop
Positives: Seats 4, I own, analog driving experience, simple/easy to work on, a classic
Negatives: A project, safety, reliability (less than others)

I originally purchased the M3 to replace my S2000 as a family car a year ago. Driving all 3 back to back, I do prefer the way the Beetle and S2000 drive more (more mechanical feeling and toss-able). I currently have a couple ideas in my head.

A. Sell S2000, put that towards paying off M3. Keep Beetle and M3. May eventually add a used small SUV (CRV, RDX) if I proceed with this route.
B. Sell M3, may eventually add a used small SUV (CRV, RDX) if I proceed with this route.
C. Sell Beetle, put that towards paying off M3. both safest cars are kept.
D. 4 post lift in 3rd car garage bay, stack two cars. Least financially responsible option, but will make me the happiest.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:36 PM

Received 1,106 Likes on 987 Posts

Sell BMW and Accord, use proceeds for Honda Odyssey.

Keep Beetle and S2000- both are paid off.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats!
I agree wth Zdave
Old 08-06-2016, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely sell the M3, and probably the Accord as well, replacing them with a large enough vehicle that suits your current needs best. If that's a minivan, so be it I guess.
Personally if I needed space I'd go with an SUV over a minivan, but this will be more about your wife's and kids needs more than yours. What does she want that she'd be willing to replace driving the Accord? An RDX sounds like a logical option for up to a four person family.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Sell M3 and Beetle, buy your wife a CUV of your budget and choosing, daily Accord and keep S2000 for fun. Note this is basically my garage (TSX RDX S2000) and all is well with my 4y/o.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I vote B.

My wife and I have a 2014 Rav4. Such a great car for hauling baby stuff.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:22 AM

Stack em
Old 08-07-2016, 08:53 PM

I updated the original post. A minivan is a no, my wife finds them to be too large of a vehicle and I drove one when I had my learner's permit. Also, we hope on only having two children. We plan to keep the Accord, since my wife is the original owner, it is quite roomy, and she owns it.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by gospeedgo1
I updated the original post. A minivan is a no, my wife finds them to be too large of a vehicle and I drove one when I had my learner's permit. Also, we hope on only having two children. We plan to keep the Accord, since my wife is the original owner, it is quite roomy, and she owns it.
My wife and I were adamantly against a minivan as well. Just hope you don't get twins for your second child like we did lol. We bought an oddysey and as much as i hate to admit it its been such a good car. Very comfortable, drives well, and the automatic remote doors are very convenient when carrying kids or stuff to the car. Of course it helped that i bought the s2000 3 days after we got the minivan lol. Also kept my old A4 as a DD. In your case i would get rid of the m3 and the beetle and get a family friendly car like an rdx or something. Keep the accord as DD for you and your wife. Keep S2000 for date nights with the wife and because its an s2000. When you have 2 kids, stroller, plus other kids gear, having the extra storage capacity over an accord will be greatly useful.
Congrats btw. You are in for a hell of a ride with kids
Old 08-08-2016, 05:20 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

M3, S2000, Accord. You'll regret selling a clean E46 M3 coupe 6MT. Or better yet sell it to me.

Quick Reply: Best choice for a couple expecting