Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Best rental car ever!

Old 03-08-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One can rent that and others like it here at the local airport. Low end 911 starts at $500 a day. Ferrari and Lambos start at $1200 and go up from there. And when I say a day, I mean 75 miles. 75 miles. After 75 miles its like a dollar a mile.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:00 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

a dollar a mile is cheap. Owning an exotic usually pencils out to $3-5/mile and goes up from there.
The following users liked this post:
Firebase (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2020
a dollar a mile is cheap. Owning an exotic usually pencils out to $3-5/mile and goes up from there.
I honestly never ever thought about that metric, so, good point actually. Well off to the airport.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

There are some not quite exotic, but still sweet cars available on Turo. Have yet to try it, but really want to. Also kind of want to buy a fun car that I don't necessarily care a whole lot about, and rent it out on there to basically pay for the ownership cost.
Not an exotic, but today on Rennlist I saw a used 2016 Cayenne Turbo S with TONS of options - yes, this guy splurged for the $2,570 Air Vents In Leather option - that jacked up the MSRP to $218,970 w/delivery. Dealer listed it for $140k with 21k miles. Depending on when he/she got it, and how much they got for it on trade-in, the original owner spent something like $5k/mo or $4 to $5/mile in depreciation alone. Not to mention sales tax if applicable, which in my state would have been close to $20k.

When the depreciation on your car (presumably "one of" your cars) is the mortgage payment on a very nice house in most areas, that's FU money.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:16 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

yup.. throw in sales tax ($20K), registrations ($2K), insurance ($2k), tires cost ($1K) (replaced at 21K miles), gasoline cost ($5K), (hopefully maintenance is free b/c new car). That's another $1.50/mile on top of the depreciation.
for used exotics, the depreciation is less but anything can go wrong at anytime and that's easy $5-10K.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:02 PM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebase
One can rent that and others like it here at the local airport. Low end 911 starts at $500 a day. Ferrari and Lambos start at $1200 and go up from there. And when I say a day, I mean 75 miles. 75 miles. After 75 miles its like a dollar a mile.
The place I rented from typically charges $995/day for the Gallardo Spyder, with 100 miles included for free, then $3/mile for any excess miles. I actually won it in a charity silent auction last year, and I paid a bit less than that. And it was for a good cause.

Some of the cars are signficantly more than that. They have a 458, 488, 650S, R8, DB9, etc. all $1000 to $1500. Heck they even show an Aventador Roadster ($3k/day) and 2 Veyrons ($Call for Price).
Old 03-08-2017, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the review.
I guess the older transmission are a little clunky at stop-go traffic. the thing that makes it bearable is those cars are used only on weekends. I don't think I can live with it if it's a DD (as if).
Honestly, I would not buy one, even if I had the coin. It's fun as heck to beat on one for a day, drive-it-like-you-stole-it, and all that. But I would not want to own one. Why? Because I would go straight to jail. Full stop. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. The sound of that v10 at full throttle is just too addictive.

I drove it to work this morning and it did just fine on the daily commute. It has a surprisingly comfortable ride for an exotic. I also discovered that it does, in fact, have a radio in it, not that I used it. On the way back to the rental place (which I am obligated to point out, is in Mexico) I happened upon a current gen 911 turbo right behind me as we were entering a freeway on ramp. Oh yeah, it's on. Foot on the floor well into fourth gear (now you understand the "I would go to jail"), and he had no trouble keeping up. We exchanged thumbs-ups before going on our separate ways.

Getting back in my Porsche afterwards, I marveled at how much higher you sit than in the Gallardo. And mine is probably an inch and a half lower than stock...
Old 03-09-2017, 07:50 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
Honestly, I would not buy one, even if I had the coin. It's fun as heck to beat on one for a day, drive-it-like-you-stole-it, and all that. But I would not want to own one. Why? Because I would go straight to jail. Full stop. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. The sound of that v10 at full throttle is just too addictive.
This is my conundrum: I love high-revving engines, but esp. N/A you need to really wind them out to get to "the good stuff," and that spells trouble while also making you look like kind of an ass if you do it in public. In an S2k it's at least kind of OK because you can wind out 1-2-3 gears onto an onramp and not raise too many eyebrows or get up to jail speeds. But I'm finding in the M3 I got last summer that I end up going way faster just in search of those sweet high revs. I can only imagine how tempting (and frankly dangerous) it would be in something even faster like a modern Lambo, Ferrari, GT3, etc.

That was one complicated thing about the S2k for me - it had the right performance for me where you could wind it to 9k on the street and not become too dangerous, but that also meant that below VTEC was underwhelming. It really belongs on a track or wide-open road.

IMO I'm learning that the most fun for me is a big, torquey engine for daily driving and a high-winding one for track/backroads.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:10 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
This is my conundrum: I love high-revving engines, but esp. N/A you need to really wind them out to get to "the good stuff," and that spells trouble while also making you look like kind of an ass if you do it in public. In an S2k it's at least kind of OK because you can wind out 1-2-3 gears onto an onramp and not raise too many eyebrows or get up to jail speeds. But I'm finding in the M3 I got last summer that I end up going way faster just in search of those sweet high revs. I can only imagine how tempting (and frankly dangerous) it would be in something even faster like a modern Lambo, Ferrari, GT3, etc.

IMO I'm learning that the most fun for me is a big, torquey engine for daily driving and a high-winding one for track/backroads.
My S2000 has ITB's and this is a real issue. People look at me like I am nuts and even swerve their cars sometimes if I wind it out in 1st or 2nd. The ITB's are so loud I can barely hear my 3" exhaust, to put it in perspective. I can accelerate at 3x the rate in my C7Z and people barely notice until they are behind the exhaust pipes.

Jeffbrig- how do they do insurance coverage on a rental like this? Is there a huge deductible?
Old 03-09-2017, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by rwheelz
Jeffbrig- how do they do insurance coverage on a rental like this? Is there a huge deductible?
Not exactly. They actually ask for a copy of your insurance cards in advance of the rental. Then went to my insurance company and got a full statement of coverage. In my state, if you have insurance, it applies to any (non-commercial) vehicle that you're the driver of at the time of the accident. I'm on the hook for the same deductible I have in my own car. They also put a $5k hold on my credit card while I had the car.