Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The big shifting of the car world

Old 12-06-2018, 05:45 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
As I'm getting older and living in Canada, I don't mind a bit of global warming, I know that is a very ignorant statement so no need to remind me
It's not an ignorant statement, and does not need any defense. All of human civilization's high points have coincided with warm(er) periods of weather on Earth. Many of the low points coincide with cooler temperatures. An earth a few degrees warmer (than the baseline, which is a made up number BTW - there is no baseline) is way way better than an earth a few degrees cooler. Personally I prefer cooler to warmer; I love snow. But overall warmer weather is better for all of humanity.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:27 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
I love you guys
Ha ha ha. I had a couple pretty good old man rants there huh? I must be cranky around the holidays.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:48 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
It's not an ignorant statement, and does not need any defense. All of human civilization's high points have coincided with warm(er) periods of weather on Earth. Many of the low points coincide with cooler temperatures. An earth a few degrees warmer (than the baseline, which is a made up number BTW - there is no baseline) is way way better than an earth a few degrees cooler. Personally I prefer cooler to warmer; I love snow. But overall warmer weather is better for all of humanity.
Other than the droughts, the food shortages, etc.

But hey rich people can afford to just ignore those things.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:21 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Please educate me on what happens when the earth cools off a few degrees...

Let's see, you have less arable land. Less moisture in the air. Good thing neither causes food shortages.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
I bought my S2000 in 2016. It had already been built, it was a sunk cost and sees MAYBE 3000 miles a year.

It gets 28 MPG, is in great mechanical condition, etc., in other words it is cleaner than many, many folks' daily driven cars.

My daily gets 38-40 MPG, I bought used, keep in great mechanical condition, etc.

I have no intention of ever buying another car, limiting my emissions going forward.

I don't drive on the weekends because I live in a city center, I don't drive after work, again because I can walk everywhere.

I'm a vegetarian, again cutting a bunch of emissions (replacing one 5 oz steak a week with beans is equivalent to not using 38 gallons of gas each year per WaPo).

I keep residence cold in the winter and hot in the summer to save on HVAC usage.

sooooooooooooo, yeah my S2000 is of absolutely minimal impact relative to what the average person produces each and every year.
This is arbitrary and reaks of moral superiority. My dad could beat up your dad stuff.

I have 35 solar panels on my house. I DD an EV which I power from the sun and have for 4.5 years. What grid power I do pull off is 100% wind/solar. And I sell a lot of power or put a lot of power back onto the grid. I eat meat but it's really 80-90% fish with that last 10-20% being chickens that aren't injected with steroids, antibiotics, etc. And even for myself, I say so what. I'm no champ or do gooder or anything else. I've made these decisions for financial and health reasons. I do like the balance I have created for myself, so I have no qualms about tearing up corners every weekend that weather allows on multiple tuned sportbikes that are polluters or my turbo awd car. Cars I probably put 6000-7500 miles total between them a year. My bike odometers are variable. I could do a bunch of miles one year and very little the next depending on weather patterns/changes, work, and grad school. I am extremely close to my employer and I moved specifically to an area that would be extremely close to positions in my field. I'm so close to my job, and my gym that I could walk to either if need be. So I have friends like you, vegans, hyper politically active. They used to give me S about the sportbikes I own, automotive and motorcycle passion, etc. I'd laugh at them. They don't have panels on their house, don't drive EV's, have long commutes, go out frequently to dine, to sporting events, all sorts of S where they are driving alot, always going somewhere and spending $. Yet they think because they are a vegan they are the do gooder of the do gooders. They also travel an awful lot yet preach to me about my gearhead obsessions. They are f'ing hypocrites and I've told them that. But typical of most people they live their lives a certain way and judge everyone else based on their own box which is foolish.

My point is this type of S is just foolish to preach to anyone. Do your own thing. Do not stand on a corner beating a drum that you do x, y, or z. Just do it. If someone asks you how you roll tell them. I bought my turbo in Feb 2017. It will be my last ICE go fast car. My bikes were built to be permanent in the garage. I have spare plastic, parts, and even a spare motor for one of them. I bought my fleet prior to IMU's, TC, and all the electronic nannies because I wanted pure bikes. And I also knew MSRP was going to near double and I was right. My liter and 1200 cost me about 1/2 of what they cost now because current gen bikes have multiple CPU's, sensors, etc. My EV will be used until it will no longer drive at which point I will replace it with a new one, hopefully AWD and inexpensive like an EV Impreza, something like that. Yet I'm still going to buy a compact truck (Ridgeline) and a Waverunner (FX SVHO) in the next year or so. The ski will be used like my bikes, a few weekends a month. And the truck will be my road trip vehicle and a way to tow my bikes to the track. It's just balance to me. You want to get into carbon foot prints etc? Food waste is the biggest out of all of them. Restaurants and crack houses (fast food joints) waste something like 40-50% of their food. And people buy groceries and waste them too. If people in this country would just quit wasting food altogether, it would more than makeup for folks wanting to drive their fast cars, ride their fast bikes, and haul ass on the water in their fast boats. That's my last point. If you waste food, even if you go to restaurants, you support "the" industry that wastes the most. So be careful what you preach and who you preach it to you, as you just might be breaking out the highlight marker on yourself. I don't tell anyone else what to do. We have laws in this country. If people obey them, like say they buy a big f off diesel truck tomorrow, who am I to judge them? That's legal for them to do, it's legal for them to put 50k miles on it a year as well. It's legal for them to go out to eat 3 times a day. I'm not going to lecture them either. If you want to preach you damn well be driving electric, using 100% wind/solar kwh, doing your vegan thing, not wasting any food at home, not going out to eat supporting that industry, buying vegan clothes that are not manu'd in some third world country, not buying a smartphone ever, or a PC made in some chinese factory with slave labor, not flying anywhere, have your own vegetable garden, driving minimally to avoid congestion on the road, doing rainwater collection. I mean dude, that's a never ending rabbit hole. And the lower families are on the pay scale, the harder it is for them to do such things. It's the middle class uppity mf'ers in this country yapping on and on about this kind of thing and it's hypocritical any way you think about it.
The following 2 users liked this post by TommyDeVito:
vader1 (12-06-2018), WolfpackS2k (12-07-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 08:47 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
We seem to have some strong opinions in here on global warming and how you see yourself and fellow man fitting in that world. You guys should participate in our politics section. Don't waste your time here. Probably heading for a lock down if it continues.

can someone just lock this thread already? From the idiots who don't believe in climate change to the even worse SJWs, Car Talk is getting ruined.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
can someone just lock this thread already? From the idiots who don't believe in climate change to the even worse SJWs, Car Talk is getting ruined.
This is what happens when someone makes a wish that we weren't talking about minivans and SUVs...
The following 3 users liked this post by cbehney:
CMK (12-06-2018), JonBoy (12-06-2018), Saki GT (12-07-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 09:49 AM

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by cbehney
This is what happens when someone makes a wish that we weren't talking about minivans and SUVs...
My thoughts exactly. Not interested, so nobody can play.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:02 AM

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I bought my S2000 in 2016. It had already been built, it was a sunk cost and sees MAYBE 3000 miles a year.

It gets 28 MPG, is in great mechanical condition, etc., in other words it is cleaner than many, many folks' daily driven cars.

My daily gets 38-40 MPG, I bought used, keep in great mechanical condition, etc.

I have no intention of ever buying another car, limiting my emissions going forward.

I don't drive on the weekends because I live in a city center, I don't drive after work, again because I can walk everywhere.

I'm a vegetarian, again cutting a bunch of emissions (replacing one 5 oz steak a week with beans is equivalent to not using 38 gallons of gas each year per WaPo).

I keep residence cold in the winter and hot in the summer to save on HVAC usage.

sooooooooooooo, yeah my S2000 is of absolutely minimal impact relative to what the average person produces each and every year.
haha you’re such a hypocrite it’s not even funny. Now you’re comparing yourself to average. Bravo. I have a higher IQ than average - go ahead and call me Einstein. Now you’re bringing food into the equation. Man has been eating meat since, well, forever. I bet you wear skinny jeans too...cute! Thanks for all that you for our wonderful environment (with BOTH gasoline burning cars)...give me a break.

GM is making the right move. They’re following Ford’s footsteps. Just doing what makes business sense.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

But hey rich people can afford to just ignore those things.
Dude, its fine and all that you try to throw down the progressive propaganda and all at any opportunity. It really is, its your choice. But do you really view the whole world this way as its "all of us against the rich" lens? I mean if you were to look at any data at all, you will mostly find that wealth is HIGHLY correlated to age. You don't see nearly as many 20 somethings driving new Vettes and 911's but you see a lot of fat old bald guys. You are at a younger age where you don't have as much as you might like and somebody obviously sold you on the idea that it is somehow unfair and you need to get people to rise up and shake the system into more fairness. But if you were to ask the people on here who post Ferrari's, and Porsche's and Vette Z06's in their signatures how much they had in their early 20's and 30's they would most likely tell you they had jack squat. Most of the time I did not know where money was going to come from to replace bald tires when snow was coming. It went onto a credit card balance at 21%.

You get older, you move up, things you buy get paid for suddenly you have some decent discretionary income. In the US, 65% of people who live here will spend time in the top 10% income bracket. Think about that for a second. Two thirds of the people that live in this "unfair" system get to spend part of their life living among the top 10%. For most it is later in life, it does not happen in places like Cuba, and then you get to enjoy the things you worked for. The "rich" are not evil hoarders you think they are, just people who worked hard over a lifetime. Nearly everybody gets into the top half, and those that don't there are reasons involving things like dropping out of high school, acquiring no skills, criminal records, chemical issues, mental illness and a host of others.

You're young, you got bills, everybody gets it. Everybody goes through it. One day you wake up and you got money to have fun with. If you are as hardworking at life as you are dropping the democratic platform on me, you'll be rolling in dough and the system will seem pretty fair then. You might not want to shred the system that is going to be really good to you in a few years for door number 2. Or perhaps you do. Either way, good luck to you. End way off topic rant.

Last edited by vader1; 12-06-2018 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: The big shifting of the car world