Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Big stupid vehicle keeping me out of my S...

Old 09-10-2018, 06:32 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Big stupid vehicle keeping me out of my S...

Basically on a whim a month ago I ordered a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4dr) as a new daily driver to replace my TSX. I got it on 8/22 and I can’t stay out of the thing. Part of it is novelty but part is that it’s just so versatile and awesome. I live in the suburbs of Chicago, no sports car roads anywhere near here, so no great sacrifice. I love the Lego nature of it, multiple configurations of top/door removal, etc. And I love I can haul the kids around too which I can’t (I have a 1y/o) in the S.

S isn’t going anywhere, but I’m putting it in storage in a couple weeks and not really regretting it because I have the giant red Jeep.

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/r...A1B5767652.jpg

[img]http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/r...F86A71731B.jpg

[img]http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/r...1EA3FE6E48.jpg
Old 09-10-2018, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on your new Jeep! They are my second favorite vehicles (after the S, of course). I’ve had 3 of them: YJ, JK and JKU. I found them great for DD and can tackle any kind of terrain. Definitely fun to play around with the tops/doors configurations. I have not driven the new JL/JLU yet, how are you liking yours?!
Old 09-11-2018, 06:00 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Nice car. They look like so much fun.

I have been tempted to check one out by I am worried about 2 things, highway ride/noise levels and gas mileage. I don't care that much about the price of gas when cheap, but I like the fact I get about 30 mpg in the daily and if gas went way up and my mileage went way down it would probably annoy me. How is the noise level with the soft top?
Old 09-11-2018, 08:50 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats on the JL!!! Ive had mine since April... 4" lift with 37's... still topped out at 116mph (GPS verified..lol)... gets ~17mpg and hauls all my shit.... I love 4 door Wranglers!!!

I need more lift with the 37's... i am sure as soon as i take it off road it will destroy a fender

Old 09-11-2018, 05:27 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

...and curbs will mean nothing to you. Go off roading! I love jeeps- I just wish they didn't rust away in our salty northern climate. If I lived in AZ, it would be a daily for me. With 3 pedals!

darcy
Old 09-11-2018, 05:39 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I have been tempted to check one out by I am worried about 2 things, highway ride/noise levels and gas mileage. I don't care that much about the price of gas when cheap, but I like the fact I get about 30 mpg in the daily and if gas went way up and my mileage went way down it would probably annoy me. How is the noise level with the soft top?
They're mega loud & ride less comfortably than my AP1 on coilovers.

With build quality that makes a Plymouth Neon look like an LS500.

While getting 15 MPG.

And costing a whole bunch.

Great for keeping FCA profitable, bad at, well, everything else.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:42 PM

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
They're mega loud & ride less comfortably than my AP1 on coilovers.

With build quality that makes a Plymouth Neon look like an LS500.

While getting 15 MPG.

And costing a whole bunch.

Great for keeping FCA profitable, bad at, well, everything else.
Clearly you haven’t been in a modern Wrangler. Only one point is accurate, they are costly. But they hold their value better than most vehicles. Build quality is fine. I find my lifted Wrangler infinitely more comfortable than my S. I can easily have a call on Bluetooth. I wouldn’t even consider taking a call in my S. 75k problem free miles on my ‘13 JKU, and it’s a 6 speed. Favorite vehicle I’ve ever owned.

You sound, jelly.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:56 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by ssbfgc

Clearly you haven’t been in a modern Wrangler. Only one point is accurate, they are costly. But they hold their value better than most vehicles. Build quality is fine. I find my lifted Wrangler infinitely more comfortable than my S. I can easily have a call on Bluetooth. I wouldn’t even consider taking a call in my S. 75k problem free miles on my ‘13 JKU, and it’s a 6 speed. Favorite vehicle I’ve ever owned.

You sound, jelly.
I've driven and ridden a good chunk of miles in both a '16 JKU Rubicon and a '13 JK Rubicon with 6MT. My points are entirely valid, when my $15k Honda Fit daily is more comfortable & better built than a vehicle that can easily be optioned to over $50,000...one of the two is seriously flawed and it isn't the cheap one.

I am not jealous of material goods, let alone goods I do not have any desire for.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:38 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

We had a '13 JKU Sahara and loved it. Ours was a hardtop, we used it to tow our popup camper across the country a couple times.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:11 AM

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
I've driven and ridden a good chunk of miles in both a '16 JKU Rubicon and a '13 JK Rubicon with 6MT. My points are entirely valid, when my $15k Honda Fit daily is more comfortable & better built than a vehicle that can easily be optioned to over $50,000...one of the two is seriously flawed and it isn't the cheap one.

I am not jealous of material goods, let alone goods I do not have any desire for.
Lol fantastic comparison!! Like I said, not disagreeing on the cost. But to say a lowered S2000 is more comfortable than a Wrangler is just silly, or you’re really that bias. Now let’s see a pic of your Fit with the doors and roof removed Different strokes for different folks.

Quick Reply: Big stupid vehicle keeping me out of my S...