Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Big stupid vehicle keeping me out of my S...

Old 09-13-2018, 07:59 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I test drove a new rubicon and honestly it was pretty nice. They had a lot of room and just felt different than driving abnormal suv in a good way (more character?) The rubicons look really aggressive and just perfect. I have seen them for sale for around $6-$8k off Msrp at certain dealers. Unfortunately for me my wife was not too found of it. On a side not we have a 1998 Wrangler 4.0l with 187k miles and that thing is bulletproof. The seats even though basic is very comfy for around town driving. For $4k it’s the perfect winter beater and we have a plow on it as well for my business.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:37 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Not sure I understand the Jeep hate - they are a lot of fun, especially a manual and how they pull through gears.

I keep thinking about getting one - either an new four door or an old one that's been worked over. The prices are high regardless, but that tells you something about the appeal.

Only thing I don't get are the people driving around in $65k Jeeps, but that's about the level of modding they do.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:28 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Chris,

Can you comment on interior noise level with soft top and mileage?

I like these. Just don't know if it is enough to buy one. But I have a 150 yard driveway and plows seem to be plentiful for these. Would beat using a walk behind snowblower. Just don't know how much I would like it as a daily. I hated the ride of the last one I rented in Hawaii but that was last gen. These are supposed to be worlds better.
It's loud but not THAT loud. I drove on a 750 mile road trip over LDW with my family (wife + 6y/o 1y/o daughters). It was perfectly doable. Not a luxury car, but not terrible. It's quieter than the S2000 with the top up, for sure.

On mileage, I mostly drive around town, averaging around 19mpg? Road trip got about 24mpg at 75mph n the highways with cruise control.

I got the dual top group, so I have the HT ready for winter, but I only drove with the HT on for like 3 days until I took it off to put on the soft top, so I can't comment too much on that one.

As far as ride, it's honestly not a ton worse than my wife's 2G RDX. Firm but not harsh. It's way better than the S, except that mid-corner bumps will toss it around a little bit. Apparently they are pretty susceptible to tire pressure too, keep an eye on that, lots come from the dealer way overinflated.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The King
That's right, everybody on here desperately wants a $50K Jeep.
Can you ****ing read? I said "couldn't afford the payment on a 50k jeep". I bet you don't even have a car that was over $30k, lol.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Chris,

Can you comment on interior noise level with soft top and mileage?

I like these. Just don't know if it is enough to buy one. But I have a 150 yard driveway and plows seem to be plentiful for these. Would beat using a walk behind snowblower. Just don't know how much I would like it as a daily. I hated the ride of the last one I rented in Hawaii but that was last gen. These are supposed to be worlds better.
Have you considered a Taco 6spd? I think the off road trims have 6spd options and they look pretty good. but I bet you couldn't even afford a taco hahaa
Old 09-14-2018, 09:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the new Jeeps, though I’m more fond of used as I’d feel less pissed rolling it

These days I’m rocking a newer style MDX and it’s a very relaxing spa like ride. At least that’s the way I can describe it, coming from a S2K or Type-R.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:06 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

My other automotive obsession is my 08 JKU. I have had it since new and now has 126k+ miles on it while being rock solid reliable. I'm running 33" all terrain tires on it and it's definitely more quiet than my MY03 S2k on the highway. I love having this combo of vehicles. They are both fun vehicles to drive in their own way.

Last edited by S2K_VS; 09-25-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:42 AM
sgt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to flame jeep owners, I wen twith a new at the time 2015 Toyota Tacoma crew cab v 6 auto 4x4 trd sport. Absolutely love it ! Look forward to driving it when my s2k is put aways for the Michigan winter. I choose the taco because its a pickup that can tackle anything off road, except rock crawling !!
Old 09-24-2018, 11:28 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sgt
Not to flame jeep owners, I wen twith a new at the time 2015 Toyota Tacoma crew cab v 6 auto 4x4 trd sport. Absolutely love it ! Look forward to driving it when my s2k is put aways for the Michigan winter. I choose the taco because its a pickup that can tackle anything off road, except rock crawling !!
I looked at the Taco at the autoshow. My thoughts:

+versatile vs. Jeep
+resale value
+reliability

-Wife hates trucks (???)
-top doesn't come off
-Doors don't come off (easily)
-TERRIBLE seating position
-Toyota=boring IMO
-Awful Toyota infotainment system

I can definitely see the appeal of owning one of those, but it's the kind of vehicle that you're glad you've owned for the last 10 years and you still have it and can beat it up/use it for anything. It's not the kind of vehicle you're excited to go out and actually buy, especially given the crazy price.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:40 AM
sgt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree on all your points!

Quick Reply: Big stupid vehicle keeping me out of my S...