Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

BMW M1/1M hits the 'RING!

Old 04-14-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God this thing is just goofy/ugly from all angles. That roofline, headlights - ugh, I can't pick out one styling aspect of the car I like.

I agree with DeVito about the wheel thing.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by rnye,Apr 14 2010, 02:19 PM
God this thing is just goofy/ugly from all angles. That roofline, headlights - ugh, I can't pick out one styling aspect of the car I like.

I agree with DeVito about the wheel thing.
I was unaware test mules were supposed to be attractive.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by tarheel91,Apr 14 2010, 10:24 AM
I was unaware test mules were supposed to be attractive.
+1,000,000,000,000.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,Apr 14 2010, 02:25 PM
+1,000,000,000,000.
I mean, check out the fender flare in the last picture of the front wheels--crazy sloppy. Being a part of Formula SAE has taught me that, quality remaining constant, there is a exponential relationship between how cool something looks and how long it takes to create. When you're doing hand-machined/made pieces for test mules, you're going to care much more about getting it done as quickly as possible than how awesome it looks. That philosophy is going to apply to the whole car as well.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mean, check out the fender flare in the last picture of the front wheels--crazy sloppy. Being a part of Formula SAE has taught me that, quality remaining constant, there is a exponential relationship between how cool something looks and how long it takes to create. When you're doing hand-machined/made pieces for test mules, you're going to care much more about getting it done as quickly as possible than how awesome it looks. That philosophy is going to apply to the whole car as well.
i don't care what the fenders will look like. the overall picture still looks like a car that got a healthy beating with the ugly stick.

the sad part is that it would be so easy to make look better. change the headlights, make the rear more aggressive/wider, and get rid of the pot belly look. but the combination of these things makes this car look awkward and weak. neither are qualities i would look for in a car that is sure to be an amazing machine.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by luder_5555,Apr 15 2010, 01:08 AM
i don't care what the fenders will look like. the overall picture still looks like a car that got a healthy beating with the ugly stick.

the sad part is that it would be so easy to make look better. change the headlights, make the rear more aggressive/wider, and get rid of the pot belly look. but the combination of these things makes this car look awkward and weak. neither are qualities i would look for in a car that is sure to be an amazing machine.
Do you understand what a TEST MULE is!?

Mules are often heavily altered and the exteriors may be disguised as current production vehicles or as completely different models.[2] Some noticeable alterations include simple cylindric shapes for the lamps in the taillights, different rims on the front and back without centrecaps, and a severe amount of added plastic and tape to hide the actual shape and design of the vehicle.[3] They are most often used very heavily during testing[4] and are scrapped.

What you're looking at is basically a 135i with the necessary changes to allow testing of the M1. This has nothing to do with what the final car will look like.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:20 AM

Looks like they're coming with some serious bulge around the fenders!
Can't wait to see the production version.
Always liked the 1ers; kinda cute(yes, cute) and compact looking.
I'm sure I'll like this one even better.

Dan
Old 04-15-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by tarheel91,Apr 15 2010, 12:28 AM
Do you understand what a TEST MULE is!?

Mules are often heavily altered and the exteriors may be disguised as current production vehicles or as completely different models.[2] Some noticeable alterations include simple cylindric shapes for the lamps in the taillights, different rims on the front and back without centrecaps, and a severe amount of added plastic and tape to hide the actual shape and design of the vehicle.[3] They are most often used very heavily during testing[4] and are scrapped.

What you're looking at is basically a 135i with the necessary changes to allow testing of the M1. This has nothing to do with what the final car will look like.
Is it still going to be an E82 car? That's what people don't like. This is not a redesign, it's an M variant of today's car, so the squat, stubby profile and proportions will be as we see them today. Anyone who doesn't like that shape is not likely to change their mind with the addition of a power bulge, CF roof, and smoothly molded fender flares.

(Personally I don't hate it, but I would never line up with my money to buy it either. I find the 5 door version much better looking, everything lines up the way it was supposed to).

PS- I love how BMW covers up the Roundel on the hood, like that's going to conceal what kind of car it is. I saw a 335is last week with that same "camo" on it... boy did that throw me off...
Old 04-15-2010, 07:28 AM

I love the way BMW cars drive, but the look in the last couple years has gone down. I just sold my 2008 535i on Monday, i loved the way it drove but never though it looked good. I dont care too much about the way the 2011 look eigher. The only car that i think kinda looks good is the 2dr 3
Old 04-15-2010, 07:29 AM

for those who read my mazda miata thread
I did not replace the 535i with the miata

Quick Reply: BMW M1/1M hits the 'RING!