Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

BMW M2 or GT4

Old 12-03-2016, 11:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

S2020 - I don't drive much since I live in walking distance to everything I need here in LA. I also won't see snow and not much rain, yes parking would be an issue as people here seem to love to give each other door dings but I can drive anything and get one of those. My drives are mostly down to OC or SD during late mornings so I never hit too much traffic.

Blueprint - Yes, please let me know but no rush. THANKS!
Old 12-03-2016, 04:28 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

my bad. just thought "Location: Boston" means 4 months each year is not sports car weather. Salt on road is a big problem for cars during winter months there.
a really nice car can be a liability. Just cant take it anywhere and park it without any concern.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:58 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by S2020
my bad. just thought "Location: Boston" means 4 months each year is not sports car weather. Salt on road is a big problem for cars during winter months there.
a really nice car can be a liability. Just cant take it anywhere and park it without any concern.
Who would have thought "Location: Boston" actually meant LA,CA?

To SoCal residents, are we at the point yet where an S2000 sighting is actually less common than an M2 or GT4 sighting? Serious question.

Last edited by freq; 12-03-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:21 PM

OK, switched my location from Boston to LA so people don't get confused anymore. Sorry about that.

I don't see too many of either in west LA (M2 or GT4).
Old 12-03-2016, 06:49 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Who would have thought "Location: Boston" actually meant LA,CA?

To SoCal residents, are we at the point yet where an S2000 sighting is actually less common than an M2 or GT4 sighting? Serious question.
It depends on what region. If you're in Orange County along the the coastal cities by PCH (Highway 1), then GT3/4s, Lambos, R8s, M2/3/4/6, AMG whatever, etc. are all pretty decently common sightings, about as common as normal S2Ks. If you go in land a bit more, the sighting of those cars decreases while older and less tastefully modded S2ks start becoming more common. CR overall is less common.

As for the OP, don't do the GT4 if it's going to be your only car. I had the S2k as my only car for about a year, and I hated it (not the car, but the lack of any sort of utility and the uneasy feeling of parking in areas that i wasn't familiar with). It's a good thing my gf had a practical car. If you're not living with a sig other that has something practical, then it's a poor choice. I never truly understood how impractical my s2k was until i put coilovers on and sold my truck...

Also, OP, what is your intended use? Any track days planned, if so how often? Or more canyon / beach cruising? Cars and coffee? If there are any track days planned, then go M2 + s2k, because you probably can't afford an on track incident if it's your only vehicle.

If I were looking at absolutes only, then GT4, but since every decision is situational all of that plays much more heavily into the decision making process. Given those options and my current situation, I'd do the M2 as a DD and keep my S2k as a track 10x a year vehicle. FWIW, I live 2.7 miles from work and it takes me about 8 minutes to get to work (not a common thing for us SoCal residents).
Old 12-04-2016, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
It depends on what region. If you're in Orange County along the the coastal cities by PCH (Highway 1), then GT3/4s, Lambos, R8s, M2/3/4/6, AMG whatever, etc. are all pretty decently common sightings, about as common as normal S2Ks. If you go in land a bit more, the sighting of those cars decreases while older and less tastefully modded S2ks start becoming more common. CR overall is less common.

As for the OP, don't do the GT4 if it's going to be your only car. I had the S2k as my only car for about a year, and I hated it (not the car, but the lack of any sort of utility and the uneasy feeling of parking in areas that i wasn't familiar with). It's a good thing my gf had a practical car. If you're not living with a sig other that has something practical, then it's a poor choice. I never truly understood how impractical my s2k was until i put coilovers on and sold my truck...

Also, OP, what is your intended use? Any track days planned, if so how often? Or more canyon / beach cruising? Cars and coffee? If there are any track days planned, then go M2 + s2k, because you probably can't afford an on track incident if it's your only vehicle.

If I were looking at absolutes only, then GT4, but since every decision is situational all of that plays much more heavily into the decision making process. Given those options and my current situation, I'd do the M2 as a DD and keep my S2k as a track 10x a year vehicle. FWIW, I live 2.7 miles from work and it takes me about 8 minutes to get to work (not a common thing for us SoCal residents).
Hey Bullwings, thanks for your very thoughtful insight. I live with my GF who drives an Accord so we could always switch cars for the day if I needed to. I also hated my S2K as a daily hence why it only has 19K miles on it since it's more of a garage queen/weekend canyon drive. I mainly would use the GT4 as a canyon cruiser/daily/C&C as I have 2 other track cars already and would only take the GT4 on track on private track days which I don't know if getting a car like a GT4 would make a lot of sense since I would only track in 1-2 times a year. My fear with the S2K is parking and getting it stolen, which I wouldn't be as fearful in a GT4 since I don't think it's as highly stolen as a Honda product but would be totally in fear of door dings, oh how I love LA people opening their doors.

I live walking distance to all things I need grocery store/restaurants/movie theatres/banks/etc so when I am home I barely drive. If I didn't I think the clear car of choice would be the M2 but since I live close to things and my GF has the practical car this is what I am entertaining.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:24 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by freq

OP, are you weighing your location into the equation?
Either car is fine in Boston and with snows you can drive all year long no problem. I wouldn't worry on salt much. You won't own the car by the time it is, if it ever is an issue. Spring detailing will make it like it never happened.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT4 without question, not a fan of the M2. If you need something practical an M3 would be a much better choice. Now the driving expienece between the two are night and day. The BMWs just feel way to disconnected now a days even coming from the S. I'd recommend keeping the S and getting a GT4 it doesn't ruin the specialness of the S at all. If you want a GT though I would wait for the .2 GT3 to release I have a feeling GT4 prices will dip a little.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:46 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
GT4 without question, not a fan of the M2. If you need something practical an M3 would be a much better choice. Now the driving expienece between the two are night and day. The BMWs just feel way to disconnected now a days even coming from the S. I'd recommend keeping the S and getting a GT4 it doesn't ruin the specialness of the S at all. If you want a GT though I would wait for the .2 GT3 to release I have a feeling GT4 prices will dip a little.
An Alfa Guilia Q would one heck of a ride over an M2.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:17 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

A GT4 strikes me as a better car and buy (speaking of ownership cost/depreciation) than an M2 + S2k combo. But as an only car, not so sure...

Is it just me, or does the cost of M2 + S2k =/= GT4? What would you use the M2 and S2k for? Do you track?

Quick Reply: BMW M2 or GT4