Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

BMW Reliability

Old 07-26-2007, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mayanh8,Jul 26 2007, 07:43 PM

I can't see owning a BMW without a warranty. Not because they have many problems. But because the problems they do have would be very expensive to have fixed. Much less than an American or Japanese make.
exactly my point.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an '03 330 Coupe, the predecessor to the 335 Coupe... i bought it brand new on a 3 year lease... didnt know what to expect, figured if it ran solid, id buy out my lease...

total problems under warranty:

1. driver and passenger window regulator's replaced
2. driver and passenger window trim replaced
3. A/C pulley was making a small noise, it was replaced.

that was it... so i bought out my lease last year.

Car is now at 53K miles ... driven hard... but responsibly... id buy another BMW, but you have to WANT a BMW... i wouldnt state the car would be solid till 200K miles like a Lexus might be... but the car gives you enjoyment and driving dynamics that you have to really WANT and respect... if your JUST looking for refinement and reliability, you may feel let down...

when my warranty ran out this year, i got an extended warranty till 100K miles... i really dont think id need to use it... but BMW Service work is EXPENSIVE... and this is outside of me doing regular maintanance myself, like oil changes and brakes... if you have to take it in for all of that, it can add up...

like any machine thats built to rather strict tolerances, especially as in regard to the dynamics ... it is only as good as its maintained... maintain it well... it will last...

basically, if things go wrong, it will be expensive... get it under warranty, and see how it goes... BMW powertrain's are generally rock solid... your potential problems are going to be electrical problems... (same for Mercedes, by the way)... but those are gonna cost more than youd think...

id suggest lease to buy... but you have to know the ins and outs of a lease price structure... dealer's can hide a lot more profit for themselves in a lease, unlike a purchase...
Old 07-27-2007, 07:26 AM

I think in general honda's are more reliable...as with the JD powers survey too...but then again, I think that it is because there is less that can go wrong with a Honda...I think one gets lot more little details that are much better with BMW that are not "must haves" but are nice to have.

I've had my 325i for over 3 years now, it broke down on the road the day before I was about to get it service...they found that it was a clogged fuel filter, which is due on that service interval! haha! Otherwise, the car has been perfect for me.

The M3 I have, which i got at 63,000 KMS and is not 69,000KMS has been nothing but perfect as well. I can take it to track work and drive home without a fuss. Although since the car is old, I did take extra care to make sure that I check everything myself.

We bought a 520d E60 and the only problem I have had with it is the software that controls the steering sensor. After start, all the driver aids cannot engage, and warning lights will show on the screen. Took it back to the dealer and they uploaded a new program, and the car is fine already...been working perfectly eversince.

Hondas I've had before were flawless...nothing much to say about it.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:27 AM

All I would say is...if a BMW is serviced properly, it should be flawless...

A honda is a tank (reliability wise) and even if you abuse it and do not maintain it very well, it will still survive.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:29 AM

Oh, but I have a friend who got a US version 335i auto...and have been back into the dealer many times already and had fuel injector problems. I don't know if he was just unlucky...however I have a theory that because it has been a long time since BMW has done a mass produced force induction petrol engine.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by versionJDM,Jul 26 2007, 07:35 PM
based on the many 335i's that have been down 30days or more due to cooling issues among other things. the 7's and their electrical gremlins. the 318's and their tendency to blow head gsk. the e36's and their rear subframe issues. e36 rear axle issues. 2.5L water pump issues. e36 thermostat issues.
Misinformation FTL.

Can you tell me ONE 335i that has been down 30 days + due to cooling issues? The oil coolers are a fast and easy retrofit. The FUEL PUMP is an issue because of the backorder of fuel pumps. Last Fuel pump I know of took 2.5 weeks to take care of btw.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by OC S2K,Jul 27 2007, 03:26 PM
Misinformation FTL.

Can you tell me ONE 335i that has been down 30 days + due to cooling issues? The oil coolers are a fast and easy retrofit. The FUEL PUMP is an issue because of the backorder of fuel pumps. Last Fuel pump I know of took 2.5 weeks to take care of btw.
my appologies then.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by al4t1gbundy,Jul 25 2007, 12:32 PM
of course not ... well some would come and go. Others had to be taken in. They were mostly all electronic FYI.
I was just kidding.