Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Is BMW styling bad enough to keep you from buying?

Old 07-14-2003, 04:51 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Is BMW styling bad enough to keep you from buying?

Is BMW styling bad enough to keep you from buying? Or do you consider buying in spite of their style or do you have a brain disorder and actually like their new style?

For me I had problems with my first BMW (Z3) that has made me a little uncomfortable about buying a second one. But I like what they say about the new 5 series especially it's adaptive "active" steering. But the exterior style is crap. The 7 series is worse, and the 6 series is even worse than the 7.

The Z4 is crap, and I guess the new 3 series will be crap warmed over.

My thing is if the new M5 or the new M3 are great in every other way will you still buy it? I don't think I will because, like the current Z06, I have to ask myself will I be happy with a car I think is ugly?

Another thing is I think we have to vote with our wallets. I mean the 7 is selling better than the last 7 so BMW can say it's style is fine. If the sales slump across the board BMW will have to go back to the drawling board. I can't believe they haven't heard the criticism and got rid of the tumor trunk lid yet.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the current M3, but that is the only thing in BMW's lineup that even appeals to me. Nothing else that they offer even turns my head. From what I see in the pics of the new stuff there is absolutely nothing they have upcoming that will appeal to me.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:06 AM

The only thing i still haven't "Come around to" with BMW's new styling is the rear end of the 745, and that is what they are "updating" next year.

I think the new 5 series will be considered a very ''handsome" design in about 12 months once everyone is used to it and has seen it in the flesh. I like it.

The Z4 is growing on me as well.

I'm know I'm in the minority as far as these opinions go, but I also believe there are a lot of people that are too intent on making bandwagon styling judgments to evaluate the cars for themselves. (e.g. those who think every one of the S2000's competitors are the ugliest cars to grace the planet)
Old 07-14-2003, 06:50 AM

I find some odds in new BMW era.. I think 7 looks ugly, and 5 is medium size 7 imo. the reason that I don't like them is that the current 5 is one of the most beautiful car ever...

I like Z4. I hated it first but it has grown on me.. Hopefully we will get Z4 2.5 for my wife. She loves them.

BMW is a very strong brand name.. whatever they supply, they will find the demand...

And I agree that there is a school of narrow-minded people who cannot admit there are other good cars out there... I would take S2K over Z4 any day of week, yet I am looking forward to switching cars with my wife once in a while...
Old 07-14-2003, 06:51 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the Z4 is OK but I liked the Z3 a lot better.

The 7 is hideous, I don't know how they can sell them. I can see Buick and Hyundia etc.. selling bland or ugly cars, but for this kind of money they should be good/great looking. The trunk is the worst feature, it looks like it came from a different car like a DeVille.

The 6 is the worst offender, I mean when a $50K car is said to look like a Seibring or a Grand Am, that's not good. Somethings wrong.

The G35 coupe for $30K is great looking and will have 9/10th of the performance for 2/3 of the price of the 6 series.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it all depends on personal taste...

i hated z4 and new 7 series but now i kinda like them.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a problem. It wouldn't stop me from buying a 500 hp M5 if I had the money - but for a $30-$45k car (3-5 series) there are too many other good choices on the market that look good and perform very closely.

A lot of people asked the same question about the rear end of the new Accord when it came out. Compared to a Mazda 6 or VW Passat, the Accord didn't look too good. But when you looked at the overall value equation and performance, the Accord had enough to overcome that. That's how it would be for me with an M5.

UL
Old 07-14-2003, 08:49 AM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I *almost* have the wife conviced she needs an M3. If it gets hit with the Bangle stick - I will either buy an '01 or '02 or another vehicle.

The Z4 is so unattractive... all those crazy lines going every which way... the yo-yo on the fender - the Mark of Zorro fender/doors... I'd be embarassed to be seen in it!
Old 07-14-2003, 08:59 AM

Yes I was seriously considering buying a e36 M3 when I got my s2k, but if I was in the market today I would'nt even look at BMW, mercedes offers comparble products that imho look better, if not perform better. There is also audi, jag and others.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The ///M cars are all sweet....and I saw a nice Z4 this morning.

Quick Reply: Is BMW styling bad enough to keep you from buying?