Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

BMW vs. Mercedes

Old 07-05-2002, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW vs. Mercedes

What is more reliable? Mercedes or BMW?

People on BMW forums claim that Mercedes is unreliable and people on Mercedes forums claim that BMW is unreliable.

Personally I don't like the idea of Chrysler and Mercedes.

But I have to ask an unbiased forum.
Old 07-05-2002, 10:28 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I would say Mercedes, in general, just from what I've known and read.

Also, Chrysler is partnered with Mercedes, but that doesn't really mean that Chrysler engineers are going to be coming in and designing Mercedes'. They will trade information and technology, but I highly doubt that reliability is going to drop as a result of that alliance.

Notice, however, that Mercedes are usually 8-10% more expensive than a similar BMW, sometimes more. An M3 can be had for around $45K, I believe, but a CLK 55 AMG starts at around $68K ($23K more) and they both have similar performance and features (the M3 is generally a bit better performing, but they are close).

I would probably pick the BMW since, for less money, you generally get better driving performance. If reliability is a bit lower, you're still saving money since you probably have $5K (minimum) to spend on them that you saved when you didn't buy a similar Mercedes.

Still, the two cater to rather different clientele. BMWs are "the ultimate driving machines", generally more sport oriented, while the Mercedes' are more luxury oriented, with greater comprimises in sportiness in return for a more compliant vehicle.

My $0.02...
Old 07-05-2002, 10:34 AM
Banned

Both BMW X5 and Mercedes ML whatever suv are stated as unreliable in car mags.
Old 07-05-2002, 10:41 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May not have to do much with reliability but I know that the build quality of Mercedes-Benz is

I am, however, totally impressed with all BMW models!
Old 07-05-2002, 10:42 AM

i think both cars are $$$$$$$$$ to fix. at first, i wanted a 330Ci, but then i thought about how much experience i've had with BMW motors. with Honda, fixing it yourself is a strong possibility. with BMW or Mercedes, it's an unlikely chance... and thats how they want it to be.
Old 07-05-2002, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't read much about the X5's being unreliable, but the ML has been cited in several magazines as having one of the worse reliability records of a Mercedes automobile. I have had both (Mercedes SLK 230 & BMW X5) both customer services have been outstanding (if you go to the right dealerships). My SLK 230 was great (even though I modded it quite a bit). My BMW is great too. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. I haven't heard to much on the new C Classes or 3 series of bad reliability. I would say it more to do with what type of car you like. Sportier, respnsive, less expensive, but stiffer = BMW. More luxurious (ride & Interior) = Mercedes.
Old 07-05-2002, 06:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<----------------------- you know my answer
Old 07-05-2002, 08:20 PM

I think you'll find that they both have their share of problems...
Old 07-06-2002, 02:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by airgate
[B]May not have to do much with reliability but I know that the build quality of Mercedes-Benz is
Old 07-06-2002, 09:39 AM
JRK

both companies have something different to offer. i like them both equally.

BMW goes for the more sport look and feel while still containing the nice luxury of a german car.

MB goes for more pure luxury although they also do have their sport side to them. although quite a bit more expensive that BMW competitors.

i cant give the edge to either. i haved loved both companies ever since i was little and i always will do so.

(i am not being biased because i have friends with MB's, while i have the BMW )

Quick Reply: BMW vs. Mercedes