Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Bought a 350z, my comparo (short)

Old 03-01-2015, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a 350z, my comparo (short)

Hello all, been offline for a bit. So I finally bit the bullet and bought a near-new 2003 350Z Enthusiast 6MT with 30k miles. Lemans Sunset metallic, 18x10.5R/18x9.5F deep offset wheels, Borla True Dual exhaust and Injen short-ram. I've always wanted one and never could find one in the trim level I wanted and price I desired, or the ones I did find were beat on and mistreated. I normally don't buy modified cars either but this one met the criteria and is like showroom new, owned by a man in his 60s, with all parts installed 8k miles ago and invoices for everything including labor. This is also the lightest year model and this trim level does not have VDC (mandatory). Here's what I've observed in the 3k miles I've put on it so far, comparing it to the S (I've always wanted to back to back them as well):

Looks:

The S, imo, has the edge here. The Z is a sharp car in the color combo with the aggressive black/chrome wheels (staggered lip f/r), but you can tell the build quality is not Honda-like. The panel gaps aren't as tight, nor does it flow as well. Viewing it from the side is, imo, the best angle. The sloping roofline is nice, as is the 3/4 shot from the rear. But I do like it overall and for a DD I won't complain.

Handling:

Obviously, the S wins here (with a proper driver). The Z, however, is no slouch in the twisters. Push it hard, and understeer is the first hint of approaching the limit of adhesion. You can bring the rear out at low speeds, but it sticks like tar paper at higher Gs. The steering is quick and definitely heavier than the S, with a tad more feedback (due to the hydraulic rack). Body roll is not bad at all for the ~3,300lb curb weight, and the suspension is compliant enough not to be bothersome over rough stuff.

Engine/drivetrain:
The engine in the S rocks. The VQ isn't bad, and the torque is great. HOWEVER, its nowhere near as profound compared to the S as everyone says. Yes, it makes 100+ more lb-ft, I get that. But with the weight handicap, you don't feel it as much as you'd believe. It may be that I'm light at 175lbs, or that my valve adjustment on my S is always 1/10 tighter and spot on, or that the gearing in the Z is different, but it just doesn't make digits much better than the S at low speeds when shifting at 4k. I can shift the S at 4k and get up just as good, speed wise, as the Z. The Z pulls hardest around 6-6200 where it's peak power lies, and stays strong to the limiter. It's a drivers race until after 120, where the aero and torque DO make a difference. Again, the F20 is and feels special, the VQ does not. But I do like the lower cruising rpm of the Z on the highway (another good DD trait, keeps my S less rock-chipped ). Shifting is sub-par to the S (what isn't?), and drivetrain noise is high in comparison.

Interior:
Although spartan in comparison, the S wins here too, mainly due to fit-and-finish. Panel gaps in the Z are uneven and sharp edged, and the controls feel flimsy, especially compartment doors and the latch hardware. I've also read reports of the silver "aluminum look" paint flaking off, but can't confirm yet as the interior in mine is still literally like new. I do like the steering wheel feel better than the S, it just feels more substantial for some reason. Other materials are sub-par to the S, especially dash and door plastic. The Z has good carpet, but I can see the seat fabric failing and tearing before 100k. I also like the aftermarket Pioneer touchscreen nav/DVD/Sirius, etc and 1200 watt stereo in the Z (aftermarket). Overall impression: They are two different types of fun. The S' tactility wins me over every time, but the Z makes a good DD in everything but snow. I'll keep both for now, and may sell the Z later. The S is family . Regards, Yours truly.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:48 PM

If you do not mind me asking how much did you end up paying for it? I have heard from a few other members that you can get a really good deal on one of these. You mentioned that the 03 was the lightest is that why you did not go for the HR? How is your gas millage compared to the S ?
Old 03-01-2015, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by hariku821
If you do not mind me asking how much did you end up paying for it? I have heard from a few other members that you can get a really good deal on one of these. You mentioned that the 03 was the lightest is that why you did not go for the HR? How is your gas millage compared to the S ?
I paid 12k cash, tax and title included. I found the deal exceptional considering the 6k invested recently in quality aftermarket upgrades. I did pick the 03 due to the curb weight, and didn't want an HR due to the oil consumption problems. The best mileage I've gotten so far in the cold weather is 26mpg. I'd say it gets better mileage than the S in warm weather...
Old 03-01-2015, 04:36 PM

If I were to get a 350z, the Lemans Sunset metallic would by my choice of color as well. One thing that I hated about the Z was the shifter feel; for some reason I always found it difficult to get into sixth gear. The s2000, of course, wins hands down with its legendary gear box. However, when I test drove the Z it felt a lot more "intact" than the s2000. The torque made it easier to drive in the city and it has that big car feel. Everything seemed more planted and heavy; I would not hesitate to take a 12 hour drive in the 350z. It's definitely a lot easier to drive than the s2000. The Z is a great car but the s2000 is just too unique to replace!
Old 03-01-2015, 05:01 PM

I would never replace my S with a Z lol, but it is cool to have both ... I got lucky, the transmission was recently replaced with a CD009 (updated with new synchros, replaced by Nissan per TSB) and shifts fine, even cold. It's not in the same league as the S2000's tranny, I agree. More like a Vette'. And yes, it is planted and easy to drive fast, and feels very solid. But, I haven't had it long enough yet to judge its reliability, hoping it's only oil changes and brakes/tires just like the S ...
Old 03-01-2015, 05:41 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Glad you like it. Around an autox course it's a better drift car then cornering.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:50 PM

^ Lol, I knew that would be the case after I discovered its uncanny ability to understeer at corner entry
Old 03-01-2015, 09:06 PM
kap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for spending the time to write up. it was surprisingly enjoyable.

it's fun seeing what s2k folks think about other cars. for me at least, i personally don't have much seat time in many cars other than the s.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by kap
thanks for spending the time to write up. it was surprisingly enjoyable. it's fun seeing what s2k folks think about other cars. for me at least, i personally don't have much seat time in many cars other than the s.
Thx much, typed it off the top of my head on my cell, sitting in my office bored to death.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by AP1Driver
I would never replace my S with a Z lol, but it is cool to have both ... I got lucky, the transmission was recently replaced with a CD009 (updated with new synchros, replaced by Nissan per TSB) and shifts fine, even cold. It's not in the same league as the S2000's tranny, I agree. More like a Vette'. And yes, it is planted and easy to drive fast, and feels very solid. But, I haven't had it long enough yet to judge its reliability, hoping it's only oil changes and brakes/tires just like the S ...
Nice write-up it reads well!
Thanks for the detailed review.

cheers

Quick Reply: Bought a 350z, my comparo (short)