Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Bought a Lotus Elise

Old 08-20-2018, 01:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Congratulations! Enjoy that thing every chance you get!
Old 08-20-2018, 04:57 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Sweet car and the perfect color. Congratulations. Enjoy!
Old 08-21-2018, 06:36 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

• It's so light that it's recommended to use R-compound tires because there's not enough weight to press normal performance tires into the ground
  • Apparently if you put it on a 2-post lift using factory jack points and take off the front wheels, it'll just fall off the lift
I don't think those are true. The car comes with AD07 if you don't get sport pack which are not a R comp. If you get sport pack you get A048 R comps which are probably the worst R comps ever made. Even Ariel Atom's and Elan NP01 race cars can be run on street tires and those are 1,300 lbs.

You can use a 2 post lift and it will only fall off the lift if you use the front and middle set of jack points rather than front and rear (under the rear underpanel).

If you get a chance add a MP62, afterwards a stock car will feel unacceptably slow. If you track/auto-x it make sure the battery is secured. The stock mounting solution is NOT adequate.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:03 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
  • It's so light that it's recommended to use R-compound tires because there's not enough weight to press normal performance tires into the ground
  • Apparently if you put it on a 2-post lift using factory jack points and take off the front wheels, it'll just fall off the lift
I don't think those are true. The car comes with AD07 if you don't get sport pack which are not a R comp. If you get sport pack you get A048 R comps which are probably the worst R comps ever made. Even Ariel Atom's and Elan NP01 race cars can be run on street tires and those are 1,300 lbs.

You can use a 2 post lift and it will only fall off the lift if you use the front and middle set of jack points rather than front and rear (under the rear underpanel).

If you get a chance add a MP62, afterwards a stock car will feel unacceptably slow. If you track/auto-x it make sure the battery is secured. The stock mounting solution is NOT adequate.
Ok, maybe R-comps aren't completely required, but I read where Lotus recommended not using treadwear 200+ (AD07 is 180, A048 is 60). Of course A048s aren't great, as they are absolutely ancient now.

One Elise I was looking at out of state, I noticed it was on all-seasons. Didn't make me feel good about the rest of the car. What goes through people's heads?

Yes, another reason I got the car is there is so much that can be modified, usually for not an outrageous sum. I miss tinkering with cars and this one has plenty of latitude for that, big and small. Already ordered a shifter base reinforcement kit that helps with side-to-side flex and a device that allows you to open the damn trunk lid with one hand - huge PITA otherwise due to the trunk lid not propping itself up). I love that if I get used to the car more, I can supercharge it and do all kinds of other things to renew the excitement.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:52 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
Ok, maybe R-comps aren't completely required, but I read where Lotus recommended not using treadwear 200+ (AD07 is 180, A048 is 60). Of course A048s aren't great, as they are absolutely ancient now.

One Elise I was looking at out of state, I noticed it was on all-seasons. Didn't make me feel good about the rest of the car. What goes through people's heads?

Yes, another reason I got the car is there is so much that can be modified, usually for not an outrageous sum. I miss tinkering with cars and this one has plenty of latitude for that, big and small. Already ordered a shifter base reinforcement kit that helps with side-to-side flex and a device that allows you to open the damn trunk lid with one hand - huge PITA otherwise due to the trunk lid not propping itself up). I love that if I get used to the car more, I can supercharge it and do all kinds of other things to renew the excitement.
The shifter reinforcement you can build with some hardware at Home depot. The lidbone is convenient to keep the trunk open.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:57 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I had one of these on my Evora and was totally worth every penny: https://difflow.com/product-category/lotus-elise/

Old 08-21-2018, 01:19 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Worth it how? Looks? Could you tell a difference in handling/performance?
Old 08-21-2018, 02:34 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Worth it how? Looks? Could you tell a difference in handling/performance?
I swear I could feel the airflow difference out the back above 50; more stable. If you drove behind me when it rains, you won't be able to get as close to the car the way it channeled the rain out the back. Looks the balls too.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice purchase and combination.

If I had space for one more car it would be an Elise, and if I had space for yet one more it would be a manual E90 M3 (owned a DCT from new).
Old 08-21-2018, 09:02 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

NEED.

Very, very cool.

Quick Reply: Bought a Lotus Elise