S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Bought a Lotus Elise (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/bought-lotus-elise-1187558/)

TheDonEffect 08-21-2018 09:33 PM

Awesome!

Driven 08-23-2018 05:30 AM

Congrats! You going to get a plate that reads "LOL 4C"? :D

CosmosMpower 08-23-2018 06:31 AM

Weird just realized I had almost the same garage about 6-7 years ago. White LCI E90 M3 and Red 06 Elise.

white98ls 08-23-2018 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Driven (Post 24503158)
Congrats! You going to get a plate that reads "LOL 4C"? :D

I wanted to get NO STEP but it's taken, as is TONOFUN. A lot of good possibilities out there. 1970LBS would be cool but then people might think it's a 1970 something or other. SUB1TON, SUB2000, LOOKDWN, are all possibilities also, need to check if available. Plus the California custom black plate would blend in much better than the standard white one.

My friend said I should put on one of those little orange flags that are on kids' bikes, motorized wheelchairs, etc. - that would be hilarious.

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower (Post 24503181)
Weird just realized I had almost the same garage about 6-7 years ago. White LCI E90 M3 and Red 06 Elise.

It's funny how many car guys go through a lot of the same cars. A coworker of mine also sent me an old picture of his then-new red Elise, and he still misses his S2000 (has a GT4 now).

mosesbotbol 08-23-2018 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by white98ls (Post 24503213)
I wanted to get NO STEP but it's taken, as is TONOFUN. A lot of good possibilities out there. 1970LBS would be cool but then people might think it's a 1970 something or other. SUB1TON, SUB2000, LOOKDWN, are all possibilities also, need to check if available. Plus the California custom black plate would blend in much better than the standard white one.

How about HETHEL or CHAPMAN ?

white98ls 08-23-2018 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 24503218)
How about HETHEL or CHAPMAN ?

Those are cool - most people will probably think those are my names though. And what kinda douche gets his last name as a plate? :P

I just verified that SUB1TON is available, so I ordered it. I figure it may also serve as a safety warning for others. As in, please be careful not to hit me, as it could end up pretty bad for me, lol. Have been driving it to work all week and this is the biggest reason why I won't be DDing this car - although I believe the crash safety is actually pretty good, people have a hard time seeing you and you feel pretty vulnerable, esp. next to high vehicles. This is a car that's 6" shorter than a 1st gen Miata and 2" lower than an original NSX, so it's below the beltline of many SUVs and trucks. And even if it's a minor crash, the fiberglass clamshells are very expensive.

It's actually fun to drive on a daily commute, but other drivers/vehicles make it more nerve-wracking than I'd like. I feel much more comfortable in it on a deserted backroad.

hirev 08-30-2018 12:32 PM

My friend has a 2005 sport. I drove it, it's a racecar for the street. little comfort, little safety, little luxury...and it goes with a very small reliable engine. Gearbox and linkage like out of a vw bus , a track ready car that you can drive on the street, beats me up big time, getting in and out is a bummer. But, but, it's tons of driving fun, looks like a million, and goes. i would not own one, quality is an issue, comfort is an issue, noise is an issue....and more for me. It's a nice car, he uses it for a track car and loves it...but now that he has a tesla 3 that is going to the track instead. makes my s2000 function and drive like a luxury car, which it is not. I think you really have to want one and be a dedicated lotus guy to appreciate it fully, I'm not.

Say Chi Sin Lo 08-30-2018 01:16 PM

OP. Half of me is saying congratulations and I'm super jealous. The other half of me is saluting you: "You brave".

white98ls 08-30-2018 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by hirev (Post 24505851)
My friend has a 2005 sport. I drove it, it's a racecar for the street. little comfort, little safety, little luxury...and it goes with a very small reliable engine. Gearbox and linkage like out of a vw bus , a track ready car that you can drive on the street, beats me up big time, getting in and out is a bummer. But, but, it's tons of driving fun, looks like a million, and goes. i would not own one, quality is an issue, comfort is an issue, noise is an issue....and more for me. It's a nice car, he uses it for a track car and loves it...but now that he has a tesla 3 that is going to the track instead. makes my s2000 function and drive like a luxury car, which it is not. I think you really have to want one and be a dedicated lotus guy to appreciate it fully, I'm not.

You are exactly right. It certainly isn't for everybody, which is why they sold 3,300 the first year, 1,100 the second year, and only about 300/yr after that (also the Exige came along). There were some crazy people who really wanted one, then once they all got theirs the market was saturated, lol - later-year sales were probably just people replacing their crashed ones!

I did drive it over 200 miles in one day last Friday, to Monterey Car Week and back, with a good friend who is about 5'11" and maybe 220lbs. I have to say, it wasn't a horrible car to do that in. With the top on it's actually slightly quieter than I remember my S2000 to be on the freeway, mainly because the revs are a little lower (by like 500rpm) and the top is actually insulated, so big trucks going by don't startle you. The ride is like no other car I've experienced - really doesn't take the edge off of sharp, small bumps like lane markets and storm drains, but sucks up the big stuff better than the S2000. I have a feeling with some more compliant coilovers like the Nitron Street Series, it'll take some of the edge off and actually ride pretty well. Although I have to say, doing the same drive the following day in the M3 felt amazing, lol. And it was nice not having to constantly worry about other drivers (as much).

The first time I drove one I dismissed it as more of a toy than a real car, which is still true. But shopping for one as a second, fun car only, it made total sense. I don't necessarily want refinement for something that will just see backroads.

How does your friend take his Tesla 3 to the track? I'm guessing he must trailer it given you'd probably be out of juice for the drive home.

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 24505866)
OP. Half of me is saying congratulations and I'm super jealous. The other half of me is saluting you: "You brave".

Haha thanks. The word "Lotus" doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but with the drivetrain from Toyota and so little else to go wrong, I'm not too concerned. The good thing is it doesn't depreciate, and everything else is cheap... gas (27mpg last tank), maintenance ($45 DIY oil changes), brakes (people selling new OEM rotors for $100/ea), tires (set of 4 R888Rs is $644). If I get tired of it, I won't be out much.

Say Chi Sin Lo 08-30-2018 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by white98ls (Post 24505894)

Haha thanks. The word "Lotus" doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but with the drivetrain from Toyota and so little else to go wrong, I'm not too concerned. The good thing is it doesn't depreciate, and everything else is cheap... gas (27mpg last tank), maintenance ($45 DIY oil changes), brakes (people selling new OEM rotors for $100/ea), tires (set of 4 R888Rs is $644). If I get tired of it, I won't be out much.

I was referring to the level of refinement of being in the driver's seat (not knocking it, it is what it is). Like you mentioned, it's a track car made street legal. Hence, you brave. :)