Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Bought a Lotus Elise

Old 03-12-2019, 10:15 AM

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Let’s not be ripping on the Vibe
i got one for our son when he was at college
great deals when GM was going broke
essentially a bulletproof Matrix (ours had AWD) for less money
Old 03-12-2019, 10:31 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchcargo
Let’s not be ripping on the Vibe
i got one for our son when he was at college
great deals when GM was going broke
essentially a bulletproof Matrix (ours had AWD) for less money
Hehe, no, that car is fine for what it is. It was just funny pulling up behind one and telling my wife it has the same engine. That 2ZZ really got around... although sadly and inexplicably not to the 3rd-gen MR2.
The following users liked this post:
JerryIII (03-16-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 09:11 AM

One-year update. I've put 2k miles on it in the first year, and drove it to work about 40% of the time (I have a short commute... M3 has only gotten driven 5-6k in that time). Recently got fresh RE-71Rs and an alignment done and the thing just dances in the corners. The handling is remarkably friendly and progressive for a mid-engined car, not at all snappy. The steering feel is like nothing else. In most other cars, steering feel is an afterthought, but in this, it's so strong and clear that it becomes another tool for driving if that makes any sense.

I had planned to eventually upgrade to something more exotic, but it's hard to want something much bigger, heavier, and more compromised. For reference, a grand piano weighs between 700-900lbs. That means the Elise weighs an entire grand piano less than an S2000!

The car has been reliable, and has only required preventive maintenance on a couple of bushings and a coolant tank (likely a Toyota part), since the car is 12-13 years old after all. The only reason I don't drive it more is the trunk is a bit limiting (weekly groceries for my wife and I often must overflow into the passenger seat) and I have a kid now so no way to safely take him anywhere for quite a long time. But I'm loving the thing and can see keeping this car for a very, very long time. Hoping to hit the track soon as well!
Old 08-19-2019, 09:22 AM

Received 557 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
One-year update. I've put 2k miles on it in the first year, and drove it to work about 40% of the time (I have a short commute... M3 has only gotten driven 5-6k in that time). Recently got fresh RE-71Rs and an alignment done and the thing just dances in the corners. The handling is remarkably friendly and progressive for a mid-engined car, not at all snappy. The steering feel is like nothing else. In most other cars, steering feel is an afterthought, but in this, it's so strong and clear that it becomes another tool for driving if that makes any sense.

I had planned to eventually upgrade to something more exotic, but it's hard to want something much bigger, heavier, and more compromised. For reference, a grand piano weighs between 700-900lbs. That means the Elise weighs an entire grand piano less than an S2000!!
Have you had a chance to drive an ND/ND2 mx-5 by any chance? I see it as a "poor man's" Elise and would like to know how it compares.

Everyone seems to love the Elise, which makes me wonder about all of the ND2 hate...
Old 08-19-2019, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Have you had a chance to drive an ND/ND2 mx-5 by any chance? I see it as a "poor man's" Elise and would like to know how it compares.

Everyone seems to love the Elise, which makes me wonder about all of the ND2 hate...
I have not, but I want to. A friend recently got a 2019, we're overdue for a drive.

I don't really see it as a poor man's Elise. Similar traits for sure, but very different cars. The Elise costs about the same, but doesn't depreciate - and also doesn't have a warranty. It does basically one thing really well (and I'm willing to bet, far better than a stock Miata can really manage... Far more speed, grip, and communication) and that's it. Although you could technically daily it, and I do at times, there are certain limitations like the trunk space and the fact that people don't see you, which can be nerve-wracking. Also the fact that if you parallel park it, the person in front of you likely will see right over the car and even a minor hit will crack the fiberglass clamshell, which is prob a $10k+ replacement if it can't be repaired, which can total the car.

So although it is fun to run errands in and drive to work if it'll be parked in a safe place, it is really more of a Point A to Point A car (and a GREAT one), while a Miata is more of a real car in terms of practicality, technology, etc. It sounds like the new Miata is more civilized than an S2k, and after an Elise the S2k feels like a Lexus LS (although actually with the new suspension, my Elise rides better and is quieter on the highway than my S2k was).
Bullwings (08-27-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 11:34 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Go for a test drive in an Evora 400; you'll be blown away if you loving what the Elise has to offer. It has everything you else you'd want that the Elise is missing.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:05 PM

Received 1,187 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Go for a test drive in an Evora 400; you'll be blown away if you loving what the Elise has to offer. It has everything you else you'd want that the Elise is missing.
Including 1100 more pounds!!!

I have driven a couple of Elises a number of times on an autocross course (And oddly, never on the street). One pretty much stock. The other modified and I drove it with and without Hoosiers on it. EXTREMELY fun cars for sure. I loved every single run I took in them. Now, past that, they are hard to get in and out of, cramped and likely not a ton of fun if you try to use them as a daily. Cant imagine why you would buy one as just a daily driver though. Certainly made my S2k feel like a boat with tons of room when I got back into it I always have said you can look really cool driving an Elise ... just not getting in or out of one! I seriously was considering one before my S2k came along and ended up spending my money there instead. I think I am still happy with that decision since I got the S for far less money and I enjoy it more on the street than I think I would have the Elise, even with my S2k set up for autocross and being stiffly sprung. But the Elise is still on my list of cars I want in the big garage I someday need to build!
Old 08-19-2019, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer
Including 1100 more pounds!!!

I have driven a couple of Elises a number of times on an autocross course (And oddly, never on the street). One pretty much stock. The other modified and I drove it with and without Hoosiers on it. EXTREMELY fun cars for sure. I loved every single run I took in them. Now, past that, they are hard to get in and out of, cramped and likely not a ton of fun if you try to use them as a daily. Cant imagine why you would buy one as just a daily driver though. Certainly made my S2k feel like a boat with tons of room when I got back into it I always have said you can look really cool driving an Elise ... just not getting in or out of one! I seriously was considering one before my S2k came along and ended up spending my money there instead. I think I am still happy with that decision since I got the S for far less money and I enjoy it more on the street than I think I would have the Elise, even with my S2k set up for autocross and being stiffly sprung. But the Elise is still on my list of cars I want in the big garage I someday need to build!
Funny, I feel like the Elise interior is actually roomier. I'm only 5'11 170lbs, but other than rubbing shoulders with your passenger, there's more room to spread your elbows, something I hated about the S2k's door panels being so close. I don't get the people who complain about the S2k trunk though. It's pretty decent and deep for the size of the car, and you can fit two carry-on bags in it!

Getting in and out you at least somewhat get used to - there's a technique to it. Definitely if you're bigger, or have a body part that isn't 100% or is sore it can become an issue, haha. Definitely easier with the top off, which is how I got my 70+ year old parents to ride in it.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

white98ls: Thanks for the update. I asked you a few questions before getting my 2006 back in March, much appreciated your advice/info. I've put on about 3000 miles since. Smiling ear to ear every mile. I was super close to getting the ND ST, but was glad I got the Elise. I've gotten used to ingress/egress, the hard top has been in storage since purchase, soft top is fine (not nearly as convenient as the Miata's), AC is weak, maybe something's wrong with mine. But man, that Stage 2 exhaust is something else, the burbling sound when letting off the throttle is awesome. Last but not least, they way the car handles and communicates with you is so natural, I love non power assisted steering now, never had it before. The car also looks very exotic, so that's somewhat of a plus.
Take care,
Old 08-28-2019, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Justapickup
white98ls: Thanks for the update. I asked you a few questions before getting my 2006 back in March, much appreciated your advice/info. I've put on about 3000 miles since. Smiling ear to ear every mile. I was super close to getting the ND ST, but was glad I got the Elise. I've gotten used to ingress/egress, the hard top has been in storage since purchase, soft top is fine (not nearly as convenient as the Miata's), AC is weak, maybe something's wrong with mine. But man, that Stage 2 exhaust is something else, the burbling sound when letting off the throttle is awesome. Last but not least, they way the car handles and communicates with you is so natural, I love non power assisted steering now, never had it before. The car also looks very exotic, so that's somewhat of a plus.
Take care,
Great to hear you're enjoying it! Your A/C is prob normal. It didn't bother me until a couple days ago when I did 135 miles in it in 90+ degree weather and it couldn't quite keep up. They are known to have pretty pathetic A/C. I also haven't ever installed my hardtop.

The steering is truly sublime. People say the E90 M3 (my other car) has decent steering feel before they went to electric. I mean, it's fine, but the Elise has 10x or maybe 20x - it transforms the driving experience.
mosesbotbol (08-28-2019)

Quick Reply: Bought a Lotus Elise