Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Bought a new Cayman GTS

Old 01-12-2016, 04:35 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Great pictures and beautiful car!!
Old 01-12-2016, 09:14 PM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Originally Posted by blueprint' timestamp='1452573257' post='23849821
Car would look very aggressive with a lip... Any options for that yet deepblue?
You're probably looking at $5000 for a Techart front bumper or $8000 for a GT4 bumper. Not my cup of tea.
$8k for a GT4 bumper!?! Is it painted and will it directly bolt on??

Thats a lot of cash.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blueprint
Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1452600649' post='23849985
[quote name='blueprint' timestamp='1452573257' post='23849821']
You're probably looking at $5000 for a Techart front bumper or $8000 for a GT4 bumper. Not my cup of tea.

Thats a lot of cash.
[/quote]

I was wrong... Checking the price - it's $5400 for the unpainted GT4 bumper, so figure about $6500 painted and installed properly.

It makes NO sense to try and retrofit these parts onto these late model Porsches. $6500 for a bumper when the price difference between a GTS and a GT4 is only $10,000 and the GT4 includes a TON of other stuff the GTS doesn't. To pay $6500 for only the bumper would be idiotic. If you were that serious about the GT4 look you might as well sell your car and buy a GT4. It would be a far better value and you wouldn't the throwing your money away on a bumper whose depreciation would be 100% when you went to resell the car.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Originally Posted by blueprint' timestamp='1452665646' post='23850897
[quote name='deepbluejh' timestamp='1452600649' post='23849985']
[quote name='blueprint' timestamp='1452573257' post='23849821']

Thats a lot of cash.
[/quote]

I was wrong... Checking the price - it's $5400 for the unpainted GT4 bumper, so figure about $6500 painted and installed properly.

It makes NO sense to try and retrofit these parts onto these late model Porsches. $6500 for a bumper when the price difference between a GTS and a GT4 is only $10,000 and the GT4 includes a TON of other stuff the GTS doesn't. To pay $6500 for only the bumper would be idiotic. If you were that serious about the GT4 look you might as well sell your car and buy a GT4. It would be a far better value and you wouldn't the throwing your money away on a bumper whose depreciation would be 100% when you went to resell the car.
[/quote]

Don't tell me how to throw my money away!

But I would peg the bumper depreciation as 110% because who wants to buy a fake GT4???
Old 01-13-2016, 10:40 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

^^ LOL.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:42 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I have to admit, I really hate this thread due to huge amount of jealousy even though I look for new pics all the time.

We just moved to a much nicer but larger mortgage payment, I have to take the wife on a trip for the upcoming tenth anniversary, I have taken on some remodeling in the new place, and I still owe a few bucks on the daily. And yet I lust after a Cayman GTS, but just too cash poor right now to think about one for at least another year, maybe two depending on what the kitchen costs.

First world problems no doubt, but I really want a blue or white one. Bad.

I was walking through a CVS and they had those five inch die cast cars for three year olds. I bought a red Cayman S for $5 and it sits on my desk at home. It will have to suffice for a while.

For now I will keep reading and try to live vicariously...... All shiny pictures appreciated. Love the pictures.

And a question for any Porsche guys out there, how do you get on Porsches radar? Credit is top notch, income is within spec, but I sign up at their website, and have had my name taken at the dealer and get nothing. BMW sent me all kinds of stuff to entice me, and invites for drives but I get nothing out of Porsche. Not even emails.

I want one of those "come take a drive" packets where they give you some little color brochure and piece of flair. But they give me no love. If they have a special offer, I want in.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:25 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Go to a dealer and talk to them, get a salesman's name/card/details and they'll keep up with you. I nearly bought a 911 18 months ago and they keep sending me follow-up emails and deals for new and used Porsches.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Go to a dealer and talk to them, get a salesman's name/card/details and they'll keep up with you. I nearly bought a 911 18 months ago and they keep sending me follow-up emails and deals for new and used Porsches.

Yeah, I took a card last time but did not leave my info I don't think. Or maybe it was my personality.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:52 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Did you talk price points at all? I think that's what got them interested in keeping in touch with me. I was looking at a 997 C4S and wasn't quite willing to pay their premium for it BUT they knew what I wanted to spend so that made it at least simple for them to know what I might be interested in buying. My step-mom had purchased a 997S not too much earlier (different dealership) and so I knew what I could buy the car for, if I waited. They knew that, so it may have given some additional credibility to me being a "real buyer".

If you shop casually, they'll treat you casually. If you shop with some intent, they'll treat you accordingly.

Or so says my experience with a single dealership.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I have to admit, I really hate this thread due to huge amount of jealousy even though I look for new pics all the time.

We just moved to a much nicer but larger mortgage payment, I have to take the wife on a trip for the upcoming tenth anniversary, I have taken on some remodeling in the new place, and I still owe a few bucks on the daily. And yet I lust after a Cayman GTS, but just too cash poor right now to think about one for at least another year, maybe two depending on what the kitchen costs.

First world problems no doubt, but I really want a blue or white one. Bad.

I was walking through a CVS and they had those five inch die cast cars for three year olds. I bought a red Cayman S for $5 and it sits on my desk at home. It will have to suffice for a while.

For now I will keep reading and try to live vicariously...... All shiny pictures appreciated. Love the pictures.

And a question for any Porsche guys out there, how do you get on Porsches radar? Credit is top notch, income is within spec, but I sign up at their website, and have had my name taken at the dealer and get nothing. BMW sent me all kinds of stuff to entice me, and invites for drives but I get nothing out of Porsche. Not even emails.

I want one of those "come take a drive" packets where they give you some little color brochure and piece of flair. But they give me no love. If they have a special offer, I want in.
I got on a dealer emailing list after talking with a salesman a few times. They send me emails occasionally, but nothing that would really sweeten the pot to purchase one. AFAIK, Porsche doesn't really do discounts or promotions (end of year sales, etc), and I've never heard of any big test drive events, but anything is possible.

Quick Reply: Bought a new Cayman GTS