Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Bought a new Cayman GTS

Old 01-14-2016, 01:08 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Did you talk price points at all? I think that's what got them interested in keeping in touch with me. I was looking at a 997 C4S and wasn't quite willing to pay their premium for it BUT they knew what I wanted to spend so that made it at least simple for them to know what I might be interested in buying. My step-mom had purchased a 997S not too much earlier (different dealership) and so I knew what I could buy the car for, if I waited. They knew that, so it may have given some additional credibility to me being a "real buyer".

If you shop casually, they'll treat you casually. If you shop with some intent, they'll treat you accordingly.

Or so says my experience with a single dealership.

Some price talk. I was perusing a 2009 Cayman S just to take a look and I told the guy I could be talked into a new Cayman/Boxster S but would also consider a low miler used one in the new body style, but also wanted to drive a (used) Carrera or Carrera S as long as it was the newer DI engines and in the $60k range or less. But this was late fall, weather was getting bad and I did not drive anything that day. I said I would be back and we moved, lots of expenses and got side tracked. As luck would have it, I moved to within 3 miles of the dealership. I really want to go drive a few, but I think it would make my impatience worse and I try very hard not to make emotional purchases when it comes to cars. And if I was going to shell out for a new Cayman/Boxster I want to do it before they totally eliminate the flat 6.

My dad is getting older, 75, is taking care of my ailing mom, and what he really loves to do is drive across country. He has not been able to do a driving trip in years and you can tell it makes him sad. My ideal scenario is if I buy new or low mile used, to find one in Cali and fly out with dad and have a cross country road trip with him and let him do most of the driving in the fun stuff. I get a little worried because once a guy hits 75, he can just go at any time and I'd really like to get to do this with him, but it aint in the finances until Decmber at the earliest.

I have seen a few CARS.com strippo Boxster S's from 2013 down into the mid forties. I don't care much about the options as I do getting the trip with my dad. I'd be happy with the car and I only put 3000 miles on my S per year as it is. So maybe a cheaper model will be around that I can't resist, but have to sell my S when summer comes first.

Truth be told, I like the 2009-2012 Caymans, not nearly as much as the new models but they are still neat. If I saw one of those in good shape with less than 30k on it for about a $30,000 bargain I would just pull the trigger on a whim and try it for a few years. Some of those prices are getting close.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
I got on a dealer emailing list after talking with a salesman a few times. They send me emails occasionally, but nothing that would really sweeten the pot to purchase one. AFAIK, Porsche doesn't really do discounts or promotions (end of year sales, etc), and I've never heard of any big test drive events, but anything is possible.

I thought once you BUY a Porsche, they invite the current owners to test drive events regularly. Why? To entice current owners to 'upgrade' their Porsches.

There was once I got an offer from American Express to participate a Porsche test drive event. The price tag? $2995. Yep, 3 grand just to test drive Porsches, although it is at a track and with almost all Porsche models. Too rich for me. I put that 3 grand aside for my eventual down payment on a P car.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1452808338' post='23852575
Did you talk price points at all? I think that's what got them interested in keeping in touch with me. I was looking at a 997 C4S and wasn't quite willing to pay their premium for it BUT they knew what I wanted to spend so that made it at least simple for them to know what I might be interested in buying. My step-mom had purchased a 997S not too much earlier (different dealership) and so I knew what I could buy the car for, if I waited. They knew that, so it may have given some additional credibility to me being a "real buyer".

If you shop casually, they'll treat you casually. If you shop with some intent, they'll treat you accordingly.

Or so says my experience with a single dealership.

Some price talk. I was perusing a 2009 Cayman S just to take a look and I told the guy I could be talked into a new Cayman/Boxster S but would also consider a low miler used one in the new body style, but also wanted to drive a (used) Carrera or Carrera S as long as it was the newer DI engines and in the $60k range or less. But this was late fall, weather was getting bad and I did not drive anything that day. I said I would be back and we moved, lots of expenses and got side tracked. As luck would have it, I moved to within 3 miles of the dealership. I really want to go drive a few, but I think it would make my impatience worse and I try very hard not to make emotional purchases when it comes to cars. And if I was going to shell out for a new Cayman/Boxster I want to do it before they totally eliminate the flat 6.

My dad is getting older, 75, is taking care of my ailing mom, and what he really loves to do is drive across country. He has not been able to do a driving trip in years and you can tell it makes him sad. My ideal scenario is if I buy new or low mile used, to find one in Cali and fly out with dad and have a cross country road trip with him and let him do most of the driving in the fun stuff. I get a little worried because once a guy hits 75, he can just go at any time and I'd really like to get to do this with him, but it aint in the finances until Decmber at the earliest.

I have seen a few CARS.com strippo Boxster S's from 2013 down into the mid forties. I don't care much about the options as I do getting the trip with my dad. I'd be happy with the car and I only put 3000 miles on my S per year as it is. So maybe a cheaper model will be around that I can't resist, but have to sell my S when summer comes first.

Truth be told, I like the 2009-2012 Caymans, not nearly as much as the new models but they are still neat. If I saw one of those in good shape with less than 30k on it for about a $30,000 bargain I would just pull the trigger on a whim and try it for a few years. Some of those prices are getting close.
I cracked down on our household budget and have put buying new toys way down on the list of to dos until everything we own is paid off (house included). It's looking like 6.8 years now including airplane, mortgage and student loans. My dream car is a Murcielago - so if prices start to really climb I may reconsider financial strategy to get what I want.

Your situation seems easy - wait it out and buy the Porsche you want - there are a billion of them. However, having had a grandfather pass last year and seeing how fast he went downhill, if the XC trip is something you want to do, do it now. Can't buy back that time. If we were having this conversation spouse to spouse real talk - I'd also suggest that in his passing you'll likely recoup the money through the good old American way of wealth transfer - inheritance - which could potentially fix any financials no nos you made. Food for thought.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:48 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by rnye
I cracked down on our household budget and have put buying new toys way down on the list of to dos until everything we own is paid off (house included). It's looking like 6.8 years now including airplane, mortgage and student loans. My dream car is a Murcielago - so if prices start to really climb I may reconsider financial strategy to get what I want.

Your situation seems easy - wait it out and buy the Porsche you want - there are a billion of them. However, having had a grandfather pass last year and seeing how fast he went downhill, if the XC trip is something you want to do, do it now. Can't buy back that time. If we were having this conversation spouse to spouse real talk - I'd also suggest that in his passing you'll likely recoup the money through the good old American way of wealth transfer - inheritance - which could potentially fix any financials no nos you made. Food for thought.
Interesting points.

I am EXTREMELY fiscally conservative and do not allow my self any debt besides a mortgage and car payment. All retirement accounts must be maxed out to the full extent of the tax code, no credit card debt that is not paid at the end of the month and so forth. I am risk averse, so, even if I can afford a second car payment, the market plunging and talk of a coming recession has me wary.

But yeah, I am trying to do what it takes to get the drive with my pops. But I AM spoiled. I am trying to keep this upcoming "fun" car purchase reasonable enough to do another ED for the daily five years later and take my dad on that too if he is still around and mobile. I'd really get a kick out of watchin him take the wheel at the Nurburgring or Stelvio, even if he drives like an 80 year old then. He still kind of drives like a madman at 75.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rnye' timestamp='1452877291' post='23853258

Interesting points.

I am EXTREMELY fiscally conservative and do not allow my self any debt besides a mortgage and car payment. All retirement accounts must be maxed out to the full extent of the tax code, no credit card debt that is not paid at the end of the month and so forth. I am risk averse, so, even if I can afford a second car payment, the market plunging and talk of a coming recession has me wary.

But yeah, I am trying to do what it takes to get the drive with my pops. But I AM spoiled. I am trying to keep this upcoming "fun" car purchase reasonable enough to do another ED for the daily five years later and take my dad on that too if he is still around and mobile. I'd really get a kick out of watchin him take the wheel at the Nurburgring or Stelvio, even if he drives like an 80 year old then. He still kind of drives like a madman at 75.
It seems like you've got it together. My goal is to gift my dad a '68 Charger (his dream car) before I'm 35. He's in his 50s so I've got a bit of time and he will have years to enjoy it. That's the plan anyway (although I wish he'd choose a cheaper dream car LOL)
Old 01-18-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

987.2 Cayman S's are depreciating slowly, and that is something that probably won't change any time soon so I wouldn't hold my breath. Compared to 2006-2008 987s, very few 987.2s were produced owing to the global recession that coincided with it's model run. The combination of low production numbers, upgraded DI engine and last model with hydraulic power steering are conspiring to keep resale values high. Cheapest 987.2 S within 500 miles of me, with 30k or fewer miles, is $44,000.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:55 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Cheapest 987.2 S within 500 miles of me, with 30k or fewer miles, is $44,000.
Amazing when you consider that a previous year 987.1 S can be found pretty easily for $25k.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own both and drove them just this past weekend. Three things that stand out when driving the s2000. Visibility over the hood it similar to that of a honda civic. You can see the ground. You need to give a harder blip of the throttle when rev matching. With hardtop on, i need to really use my mirrors and turn my head when changing lanes. VS. Seeing over the Cayman gts hood is a little more difficult. Quick glances are all you to the left or right with lane changes since there is no real B piller. Less effort when blipping the throttle.

Def enjoy how easy it is to drive the s2000. Def less effort even though the steering wheel is a little heavier then the gts. Def enjoy the extra horses in the gts. It has no problem moving as oppose to the S, that needs the right gear. Both cars get the looks. No issues in that dept. I love them equally.