Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Bought a new Daily driver to replace my i3.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LUV2REV
You'll love the GT350, great car although the fit and finish is hit and miss and no where near it's euro competitors which doesn't bother me a whole lot. I have a 2016 Race Red Track Pack which I bought in July 2016. I broke mine in relatively hard meaning I tapped the higher RPM range after 100 miles although not for sustained periods of time. I just did my first oil change on Monday and had the oil cooler line recall done which would not affect your 2017. I also removed my stripes a couple weeks ago, I did it properly by removing the rear spoiler. The stripes scratch easily and hold water spots. The GT350 looks so much cleaner and wider without the stripes, no regrets for me.

**Be religious in checking the oil, some 5.2's are using oil excessively to the point Ford has replaced some engines already.

Is the thread you refer to on SVT Performance ? If so, I chimed in on that one.
Yea I think the thread was on there. I did read about the oil consumption issues and definitely concerned. But I check my oil levels religiously so I'm not worried about it going too low without me knowing.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:18 AM
Gold Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

very nice!
Old 10-23-2017, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FurY
He should be ok on the recall... that was for 2016 GT350's equipped with the tech pack (no track pack... meaning trans/diff/engine coolers, etc). It's for transmissions and differentials overheating due to not having those coolers. 2017 and 2018 come with track package as standard equipment.

Oh, and I would love to know how this feels to the S2000. Obviously more power, but it just seems to me like they would have similarities in the way they drive.
Though you're right, the '16 base and tech cars don't come with the trans and diff cooler, the recall was for an improperly crimped oil cooler line. All GT350s come with oil coolers.

The coolers are needed for extended track sessions, and can be retro-fitted to tech/base equipped with little issue. I don't track my car enough for me to worry about it at this point. I've driven mine aggressively enough this past summer for me to feel comfortable with it for my needs. I thought about putting the coolers in, and may yet do so, but I'm waiting to see what Ford does with the GT500 first. If the car doesn't amaze me, I'm adding the coolers and some sort of FI, then keeping it forever. It really is that good. I've owned a LOT of cars in my life, and this one had me hooked from day one. I don't get to drive it nearly as much as I would like, and not nearly as fast as it's capable.

It has to be a REALLY nice day for me to grab the S2K's keys over the GT350's....

To the OP - Go for the Lund Flex tune...You'll love the way it feels on E85....
Old 10-24-2017, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by GT350RS
Though you're right, the '16 base and tech cars don't come with the trans and diff cooler, the recall was for an improperly crimped oil cooler line. All GT350s come with oil coolers.

The coolers are needed for extended track sessions, and can be retro-fitted to tech/base equipped with little issue. I don't track my car enough for me to worry about it at this point. I've driven mine aggressively enough this past summer for me to feel comfortable with it for my needs. I thought about putting the coolers in, and may yet do so, but I'm waiting to see what Ford does with the GT500 first. If the car doesn't amaze me, I'm adding the coolers and some sort of FI, then keeping it forever. It really is that good. I've owned a LOT of cars in my life, and this one had me hooked from day one. I don't get to drive it nearly as much as I would like, and not nearly as fast as it's capable.

It has to be a REALLY nice day for me to grab the S2K's keys over the GT350's....

To the OP - Go for the Lund Flex tune...You'll love the way it feels on E85....
I'm actually completely happy with the amount of power the car has. I don't need any more. The car has no traction throughout first gear. It's kind of silly. The 0-60 times are definitely traction limited and the car is faster than the factory claimed numbers with the right tires. What my car needs is more front end grip. The car understeers like no tomorrow. I plan on getting the GT350R rear sway bar, front springs, and some camber plates to hopefully improve that a bit.

Few more photos.

Getting a feel for the car with all the nannies off:

That noise!

Old 10-24-2017, 07:46 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

A GT350 understeers like no tomorrow? Seems odd.

I'm not discounting your experience but that's a pretty extreme handling trait for such a focused car. I've never read about that happening to such an extent - just curious as to whether that is common or if perhaps you might have an alignment issue or something.

Either way, it's an awesome car - love that colour combo! That'd be my first choice as well (though I do like the blue with white stripes a lot as well).
Old 10-24-2017, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
A GT350 understeers like no tomorrow? Seems odd.

I'm not discounting your experience but that's a pretty extreme handling trait for such a focused car. I've never read about that happening to such an extent - just curious as to whether that is common or if perhaps you might have an alignment issue or something.

Either way, it's an awesome car - love that colour combo! That'd be my first choice as well (though I do like the blue with white stripes a lot as well).
Almost all cars understeer a lot from the factory if you are a capable driver. They are set up that way intentionally to keep 99% of the drivers who buy cars well over their driving capabilities safe. My GT4 was even worse.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Understood but most of the "driver's cars" aren't nearly that bad (and, in some cases, they're the opposite - my Z4M oversteered in high speed corners and understeered in low speed corners). The phrase "like no tomorrow" just seems like it's really, really bad understeer (as opposed to a mild push). That's what's surprising to me.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:03 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by radiantm3
Almost all cars understeer a lot from the factory if you are a capable driver. They are set up that way intentionally to keep 99% of the drivers who buy cars well over their driving capabilities safe. My GT4 was even worse.
Stock GT4 understeers and pushes dramatically from the factory but its much less terrible after adding some camber and stiffening the sway bar.

From what i've read the GT4 would need endlinks and more camber to really combat the understeering.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Understood but most of the "driver's cars" aren't nearly that bad (and, in some cases, they're the opposite - my Z4M oversteered in high speed corners and understeered in low speed corners). The phrase "like no tomorrow" just seems like it's really, really bad understeer (as opposed to a mild push). That's what's surprising to me.
I’m just speaking from the perspective of a “track” car on track. The car has 295 width tires on the front. It pushes a lot considering the tire size. I got my gt4 to feel pretty good with some suspension/alignment changes. I’m sure it will be similar in this case. My s2k turns in and corners better than my gt4 even after the alignment changes. I think I’m just spoiled by this car.
The following users liked this post:
JonBoy (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 01:56 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Love it. Sounds great!

Quick Reply: Bought a new Daily driver to replace my i3.