Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

buying a 04 tsx, what are your guys thoughts on tsx

Old 01-11-2013, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a 04 tsx, what are your guys thoughts on tsx

looking at buying a 04 tsx and what do you guys think of this car as my dd. IS there arnything about the car that sucks or a lot good.Just want some feedback if anyone has any
Old 01-11-2013, 05:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Family has an 06. Very reliable, solid car, no significant problems. Nice interior, decent amenities. Drives fine, nothing special in that regard though. Good daily for sure.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:16 AM

Only complaint I have about the TSX is the lack of power. Other than that nothing else to complain about. I had an 04 TSX and I loved it for all the 5 years I owned it! 170k miles on it and only major thing I changed on it was the starter and serpentine belt and thats not really major. Only reason I got rid of it is that I came across a once in a life time deal on a E90 335 so I took it. I do miss her tho. Every time I see one I do shed a thug tear
Old 01-12-2013, 09:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Power and fuel economy are always a tradeoff though. What you lack in one, you gain in another.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:18 PM

i heard it's not to good on gas though, is this true. I have an element also and it's not to bad on gas but i wonder if the tsx is worse?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:23 PM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by InVTEC
i heard it's not to good on gas though, is this true. I have an element also and it's not to bad on gas but i wonder if the tsx is worse?

Tsxclub.com and Acurazine.com - start reading.

I currently drive a TSX, 6 spd non nav. The 04s had issues with the air conditioning exploding and ruining the entire AC system. Couple grand fix. If you do go for an 04, find out if the AC has been updated or fixed.

If you can, spring for 06+. More power, a little more amenities, slight styling update.

With that being said, it's a nice car but it can be boring. If you have an S2k has a garage mate, you'll be set. The Tsx makes for a comfortable great daily driver. It however is not a replacement for a sporty DD in place of the S. I am dumping my Tsx in a couple months for another S.

Edit - I average 27 mpg in my tsx. It does take premium fuel. My best was 37mpg average on a 3 hour trip all highway. The car is great on gas!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've owned two TSXs in the past - a '04 TSX (AT) and a '06 TSX (MT). As mmm...vtec stated, they do feel a bit underpowered. Dizings2k is correct about the '04 TSXs experiencing issues with the AC exploding, however, after I sold my '06, I learned from the new owner that the AC in it had exploded as well. The new owner had to replace the entire air conditioning system which costed roughly $1500 if I remember correctly.

The minor complaints I have about the TSXs are:

- the factory radio and climate control unit are integrated on the same circuit board so it is a major dilemma if you want to install an aftermarket radio.
- the chrome trim on the front grille, door handles and around the windows look gaudy.
- the flip-up cup holder door is very fragile, and costly to replace if broken.
- the oil filter is in a "pain in the ass" location.

After getting stuck in major traffic one too many times, I sold my '06 TSX (MT) and opted for a '05 TL due to the V6 and a few extra features that the TSX does not have. Although the factory radio and climate control unit are integrated on the same circuit board in the TL as well, the factory system does have more power and a subwoofer mounted on the rear deck. One thing that I dislike about the TL is that the rear seats do not fold down like they do in the TSX.

When I was searching for a TL, I noticed that many of the people selling their TLs were asking for less than what TSX owners were, which I thought was odd. Both the TSX and TL are good daily drivers. I would recommend that you test drive both and see which one suits you better.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:11 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I agree with eric on those things as well. When I first bought my car I liked the chrome trim, if I were keeping it another year I would probably be plasti dipping to flat black for a change. My car is pearl white.

Also about the oil filter, this past weekend I changed the oil in the tsx for the second time. Apparently I put the filter on a little tight last time. To access the filter you have to remove the passenger wheel and there is no way to get a traditional filter wrench on it. After over an hour of trying to remove the filter, I said screw it and left the old one on there. There is only 3k miles on the filter anyway and I know plenty of people who change filters every other oil change AND I won't have the car the next time the oil needs changed anyway. Ha.

Just prepare for a lot of cussing on your first oil change day.

The cup holder flip thing is fragile, however I just leave mine open all the time anyway.

I also to have a complaint to add as well. I live in PA so we do get some snow. I have blizzak WS70s all around on my tsx, and IMO it doesnt do very well in the snow. The 6spd is a decently close ratio so it spins a lot, and if you leave the TC on it's hard to get going anywhere because the TC is constantly cutting throttle because of the spinning. I expected more from the car in the winter.

I dont want to see like I am hating this car, it really is great for a DD. If I could justify having the tsx and the S, I would absolutely do it. However an S and a 4x4 for winter is much more appealing to me now.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:19 PM

thanks guys for the great feed back, Im replacing my integra for the tsx not the S2000. I would die if i had to do that. Thanks for the ideas of things to look at. I use to work at Acura and did lots of oil changes on them just never really drove them far to see what there really like. I bought a special tool for the oil change which makes it a snap to do and dont have to remove the wheel. I look forward to owning a tsx.

P.S. the only car im replacing my S whith is an older Dodge Viper 92-02 haha
Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My father has an 05 and loves it.

Quick Reply: buying a 04 tsx, what are your guys thoughts on tsx