Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Buying Advice?

Old 09-16-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Advice?

Looking at getting a 8th gen Si Sedan to daily, trying to decide between overpaying for a dealership/Carmax car I know has a fairly clean history and some private car that I have no idea about (already was close to buying one when I found out he had rolled ODO back)...

In particular, there's one I'm looking at now that I would like everyone's advice on. 125k on the clock, but last month he had a shop rebuild tranny ("1st,2nd,3rd,4th, sleeves, springs, Carbon Synchros, C/S Gear2 and Main shaft."). What would cause this? Has this car been boosted most of its life? Poor driving? Should I just keep looking, the market in my area isn't really that good for this car it seems... All thoughts appreciated!
Old 09-16-2016, 11:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just because a dealership has it doesn't mean it couldn't have been tampered with. Do a fair amount of research on a privately owned vehicle and get it inspected at a reputable shop. Carfax is another way to check the history. If something seems wrong, walk away. You can always find another civic si. If you aren't confident enough in making these decisions and decide you'd be happier paying a dealership to do these things, by all means, (over)pay at Carmax. There are plenty of buyers guides online to help with car purchases though. Do the research.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car has typical transmission issues. Honda had a recall on something similar I believe. It's been a while since I've owned mine but they're great cars. I'd swing for one with less miles if I could though!
Old 09-16-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Always get the best, cleanest, you can afford. Especially with a car like this, which has likely been driven hard, find the best.

The cars you've mentioned would be crossed off my list quickly, unless it was way, way below budget.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1
That car has typical transmission issues. Honda had a recall on something similar I believe. It's been a while since I've owned mine but they're great cars. I'd swing for one with less miles if I could though!
Yea, I read a bunch of things about the transmissions in these cars... Do you think that 5th and 6th will be soon to go on this one? I just don't want to be rebuilding the tranny myself in 10k miles.

When you owned one, did you ever feel that it made you appreciate your S less? I kind of like my setup now, a pig for a daily so when I get in the S on the weekends it feels like a whole new world everytime.

Originally Posted by Nerd-Vol
Always get the best, cleanest, you can afford. Especially with a car like this, which has likely been driven hard, find the best.

The cars you've mentioned would be crossed off my list quickly, unless it was way, way below budget.
The rebuilt tranny one is well under budget (for the mileage), I guess that's what makes it so appealing. I don't mind spending a bunch for a good/minty one, but would prefer not to spend a bunch on my daily.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:26 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I would just get a compression check done. Easy on that motor.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:33 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

There was definitely a recall on that transmission. Better to get one that has had it replaced IMO.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently bought one. If you plan on keeping it buy the best you can find, IMO. I drove some 6-7hrs to get mine.. one owner, no accidents, serviced at Honda, navigation option. 2010 model. I bought it from a dealer and paid a premium. Love the car but they have a good bit of possible issues. At 90k mine needs a new a/c compressor..

Idk about a trans recall for all years, just seen 06-08. Either way, if you enjoy beating on your car or the prev owner did, chances are you will have trans issues. Mine is 100% stock and original, doesnt like redline shifts. There is also a paint recall for some of the colors (black, gray, blue, IIRC) but its only good for 6 years or so from build date.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:58 PM

Two of my friends in the Boston area sold their 08 Si sedans a couple of months back for $10,500 within a day. One had 75k and the other had 88k both were in fair condition at best.

If you want to cross the border, mine is for sale.... http://honda-tech.com/forums/vehicle...sedan-3283939/
Old 09-18-2016, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
I recently bought one. If you plan on keeping it buy the best you can find, IMO. I drove some 6-7hrs to get mine.. one owner, no accidents, serviced at Honda, navigation option. 2010 model. I bought it from a dealer and paid a premium. Love the car but they have a good bit of possible issues. At 90k mine needs a new a/c compressor..

Idk about a trans recall for all years, just seen 06-08. Either way, if you enjoy beating on your car or the prev owner did, chances are you will have trans issues. Mine is 100% stock and original, doesnt like redline shifts. There is also a paint recall for some of the colors (black, gray, blue, IIRC) but its only good for 6 years or so from build date.
The car in question has actually had compressor replaced as well... it's looking like a fairly good option really at the price, so far as everything checks out (I almost paid about 11k for that car with "47k miles" Carfax showed service history at 148k then a re titling at 36k...)

Quick Reply: Buying Advice?