Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Buying a used Telsa; considerations?

Old 01-03-2018, 01:04 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I have nothing to base this on, but I would beware that if you buy one, plan to keep it for a while or you could still be sideswiped with a huge depreciation hit. The technology continues to advance and many manufacturers are jumping into offering electric cars in the next couple years. As model choices grow and battery life and range improve, you will have a used car, with some depleted battery life that just does not compare to new offerings. As the rarity of a Tesla (they are getting fairly common around here) fades, they won't hold the value.

If you plan to run it into the ground, sure. Just be prepared for that. Batteries and motors can last a long time. But I would wager that recent models will still have a decent depreciation curve ahead of them as electrics become more mainstream and can be had more cheaply.
Can.... but I believe my parent's car has been through three motor replacements in under 40k.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
But what if I just hate GM that much? Focus EV? Leaf (ew)? I need something with range...

The new 2019(?) Leaf is supposed to have a range over 225 miles.

2019 Nissan Leaf May Get 225 Mile Range From 60 KWh Battery Pack

They aren't pretty, but they look nice enough, IMO. Definitely ok for a commuter.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

But what if I just hate GM that much? Focus EV? Leaf (ew)? I need something with range...
Let go of the hate, it'll make you feel better, Lol. If you get a Tesla, and you're one of the many unfortunate souls who end up with a problem car, you'll hate yourself much more.
The following users liked this post:
Grip Hrd (01-28-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 02:01 PM

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
https://www.teslarati.com/how-long-w...t-degradation/

My parents have owned a P85D since new for a few years... build quality is not there for the price they ask new. They are not the most reliable things ever.
Chibo, I think you missed my earlier post where I shared the same link. LOL And for that reason, I still don’t see a reliable source that states Tesla’s lose 20% of their battery capacity in the first 100k miles.

Can.... but I believe my parent's car has been through three motor replacements in under 40k.
Are we still talking about Tesla’s?

My .02 cents: I would recommend test driving several electric cars. Don’t let range anxiety skew other important factors. Check out Doug Demuro’s videos on some of the electric cars mentioned above.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:12 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Yes, what do you think an electric powered engine is called? I believe Tesla refers to them as drive units, but it's all the same thing.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:37 PM

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Yes, what do you think an electric powered engine is called? I believe Tesla refers to them as drive units, but it's all the same thing.
well if you had three units replaced under 40k miles (even if it was under warranty) I would jump ship.

First on my list would be the chevy bolt. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...v-chases-tesla
Old 01-04-2018, 06:36 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

have you driven one? like someone else said, when they have 0 problems they are great cars. But a lot have issues. Tons of QC issues. Avoid the early models especially like the plague. Ive seen more than one model s have peeling dashes and cracks. Horrible quality in their panel fitment. The interior is shit for such an expensive car.
The following users liked this post:
RedCelica (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 04:26 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Agreed. Very surprised the 2014s are still somewhat expensive. I thought they'd be down in the 20s by now.
For Many years Musk promised the Model S would not sell used for under $50k and that kept prices high - I think Tesla actually subsidized the cost via its repurchase program. Now, demand is high but prices are slipping, and I think that trend will continue as Model 3s come to market and start saturating it.

Like was mentioned, as much as I think Teslas are cool, some of the usability is really poor (touchscreen) and the build quality can be highly variable. I'd still consider one, but I used to own an RX-7...

Normally I'd point to something like a Golf electric, but their range really sucks, and other EVs are just... weird and plasticky. Best option is really the Volt/Bolt model - 50 miles electric and gas to keep going as you need - removes all the range anxiety. Unfortunately no one makes a car with Tesla looks an GM engineering for a reasonable price.

Maybe you can save up for an i8, but for even $20k worth of gas, you're probably better with a practical 40mpg gas-powered car.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:17 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

You can buy new Prius batteries on RockAuto for $1200.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:08 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
For Many years Musk promised the Model S would not sell used for under $50k and that kept prices high - I think Tesla actually subsidized the cost via its repurchase program. Now, demand is high but prices are slipping, and I think that trend will continue as Model 3s come to market and start saturating it.

Like was mentioned, as much as I think Teslas are cool, some of the usability is really poor (touchscreen) and the build quality can be highly variable. I'd still consider one, but I used to own an RX-7...

Normally I'd point to something like a Golf electric, but their range really sucks, and other EVs are just... weird and plasticky. Best option is really the Volt/Bolt model - 50 miles electric and gas to keep going as you need - removes all the range anxiety. Unfortunately no one makes a car with Tesla looks an GM engineering for a reasonable price.

Maybe you can save up for an i8, but for even $20k worth of gas, you're probably better with a practical 40mpg gas-powered car.
i8 would be pretty badass actually...forgot about that car. Kinda need a 4 door...or seriously have to do some wife-convincing.

Quick Reply: Buying a used Telsa; considerations?