Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Bye bye H1

Old 05-12-2006, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you carry four people plus cargo in an S2000? How about in an H1?

Can you carry oversized cargo in an S2000? How about in an H1?

Can you easily traverse unplowed snowy roads in an S2000? How about in an H1?

No one's arguing that the H1's an efficient or logical vehicle, but that doesn't change the fact that you can do more things with an H1 than you can an S2000, or any other small two-seat sports car.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,May 12 2006, 03:28 PM
Can you carry four people plus cargo in an S2000? How about in an H1?

Can you carry oversized cargo in an S2000? How about in an H1?

Can you easily traverse unplowed snowy roads in an S2000? How about in an H1?

No one's arguing that the H1's an efficient or logical vehicle, but that doesn't change the fact that you can do more things with an H1 than you can an S2000, or any other small two-seat sports car.
Again, two different classes!

Can you take a corner at 50mph, can you put the top down, can you rev to 9k, can you go faster than 80mph in a H1?

We can go back and forth on this but the fact that what an H1 is made for is not used as often as it should be for it to be a logical buy. The S is useless for hauling but that is not what it is made for. The H1 is not so good for hauling passengers and cargo either if you consider its drivibility and gas mileage.

Well said no_really!!!!!
Old 05-12-2006, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by no_really,May 12 2006, 02:10 PM
sory, but that is just dumb. You are saying that since the potential uses for the S2000 are smaller than for an H1, you tend to use 100% of the car's potential, so therefore, the utulity of the S2000 is greater. That's nonsense.

There is likely no car more limited in utility than a roadster like the S2000. Suggesting an S2000 is more practical or useful than an H1 is just being incredibly dense. Yes, the H1 is far more vehicle than most people will ever use. That doesn't make it less useful or practical. And your assumption that the H1 you see on a city street is never used for anything other than a daily commute is one hell of an assumption. The person who buys one buys one to drive at least part time on city streets, otherwise they'd have bought a tractor. Even the military drive their hummers on the street. Are you suggesting they don't need them either, just because they sometimes don't have any need to use the full capabilities of the vehicle? If some family or business has need of the kinds of things an H1 can do, even if it is only a few times a year, then they need a vehicle like it. You can't always get by on something less.

If you drive a roadster, you have nothing to say to someone who drives an H1. Glass houses and all.
No, I can talk down about hummers and other SUVs becuase I sustain a higher (UER) Utility Efficency Ratio than the average SUV driver. J/K

I know the American people and there are reasons that SUVs are or were very popular and it is not because these millions of people go off road and work in construction.

The Hummer was the epitome of this mind set and I'm glad its gone and dying.

Like I said (once again), if you use the Hummer in the military its fine, that's what it was meant to do, if you put 22's on and drive all by your lonesome you're an idiot.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:23 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I guess we will just have the Reno 911 episode where the sheriffs department gets an H1 to remember it by.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:35 PM

Dropping the H1 is a dumb move by GM.

I don't like this, but a LOT of people buy cars based solely on the image it brings them. Some buy the street counterpart of their favorite Nascar racecars. If the car stops racing in Nascar, the image of being a race car driver dies.

Or rally cars. A lot of people buy STis and EVOs because they identify with the race cars, and that is critical to their image and a huge reason why they buy their cars.

I think a big reason the H2s were successful is the bad boy image the H1 had. It was an image of toughness, no compromise, drive anywhere, and the the heck with the environment. Even if you think this is an idiotic image, I think it is what drove sales of the H2s and now H3s. Without the H1 as bad boy image maker, I think sales of the more normal Hummers will fail.

It would be like Ferrari dropping out of racing altogether. Once their is no race car image, that kills the appeal for a lot of people.

If nothing else, GM should have made a handful of H1s a year, just to keep the image. Killing it basically tells people, we are as soft as the competition, so why would you really buy an H2 over a Land Rover or Toyota FJ.

I think this is a really dumb mistake by GM.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,May 12 2006, 01:02 PM
I place H1s in the same "mental category" that I do Ariel Atoms: very very cool, but worthless aside from one very specific trait. If I lived in a place where I could use the Hummer as intended, I think it would be a blast to own one (just like the Atom), but for 99% of the rest of the time, it's worthless.

That said, you really have to wonder what fate awaits the H2 and H3 now. As long as they had that vague relationship to the H1, they had some heritage and credentials. Now, a Hummer is going to be a rebadged, bodykitted Chevy truck/SUV. Very sad way for one of the strongest American brands to go out. A lot of people didn't LIKE what the Hummer stood for, but at least they KNEW what it stood for: big, strong, go-anywhere trucks. Now, the Hummer brand will be like a lot of other American ones: relatively directionless, not really standing for anything, not really knowing what it wants to be. That's sad.
Well said and I think you are right on the money.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:53 PM
jah

- i am sure gm has a handle on the echnomics to discontinue production or not.
- the bling of suv ownership is gone. its bad enough to be seen as a passenger in these vehicles, worse to admit owning it.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:54 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbogxp,May 12 2006, 06:35 PM
Dropping the H1 is a dumb move by GM.
The article I read on CNN said they had made 12,000 since 1992. If you are taking up an assembly line putting out less than 1000 cars per year, it might not be such a dumb move.

If they were turning a large profit they would be keeping them.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:47 PM

Keep in mind that the assembly line was still churning out military H1s.

They will still produce those.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IheartS2ks,May 12 2006, 04:43 PM
if you put 22's on and drive all by your lonesome you're an idiot.
i don't think that is in dispute.

According to TFA, the very low production level of the H1 renders any discussion of whether it is practical or neccessary moot. How many people NEED an Enzo? Or ANY Ferrari, for that matter? How many NEED an S2000, or ANY roadster, for that matter? How many exercise every cabability of their vehicle to the maximum on a regular basis?

Quick Reply: Bye bye H1