Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

C6 Corvette opinions

Old 04-18-2012, 05:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If I could get a blue C6 convertible for about $25k, I'd probably sell my S2000.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:33 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Until you take a vette to a road as tight as the tail of the dragon you will probably never see the handling difference between it and an s2000.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:04 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gigdy
Until you take a vette to a road as tight as the tail of the dragon you will probably never see the handling difference between it and an s2000.
Funny, I am going to be at the Dragon in less than a month for the first time. Can't wait.

The reason I am so concerned with handling is because in my town there are roundabouts *everywhere*. I think it's one of the top in the country--something like 80 within a 5-mile radius. And I absolutely fly through those when appropriate (no traffic, etc). This is something I find quite enjoyable so I don't want to give up too much of the pinpoint accuracy offered by the S2000 in small, sequential turns.

I'm glad to hear the mostly positive comments so far. I think the soft seats and the driving position might be the two things that end up bugging me the most but I'm sure once I get in the power I will immediately want the car. I have only owned one low torque car so far and I do miss it at times. It's just so much easier to do a quick little sprint up to 40-50 when you don't have to wring the car out to the bleeding edge.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, I agree that the first time you mash the throttle in a vette, it is memorable.
I did it in a C6 Z51 and, being the first test drive for an s2k replacement, it was shockingly fast. As I recall, the first thing into my mind was "holy...this thing would get me in trouble"

I think the shifter/clutch was WAY more agreeable than the 370Z I drove. It felt big and I wasn't a fan of the seats or the previously mentioned low driving position...visibility was disturbing; but that was coming from an s2k so maybe I would have gotten used to it.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

i have never driven a regular C6 but my 2008 C6 Z06 was a freaking monster... in a straight line..... there was something very twitchy about it... possibly the run flats or shitty dealership alignments (i had it realigned 2 times)....it was fun and the shifting was relatively short (same with C6)... interior is made for fatter americans (i am working on being fatter but right now not up to the USA standards)...

a good used C6 can be under $30k... that is a hard car to beat...
Old 04-18-2012, 10:01 AM

I've always found the C6 a little numb. The straight-line performance is impossible to beat for the price, but the combination of slightly insulated control feel and the ease with which you can make rapid progress was a turnoff for me. I like a car that challenges you every time you get behind the wheel.

In that price rnage, I'd take a used Elise over a C6 any day.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScandinavianFlick
I've always found the C6 a little numb. The straight-line performance is impossible to beat for the price, but the combination of slightly insulated control feel and the ease with which you can make rapid progress was a turnoff for me. I like a car that challenges you every time you get behind the wheel.

I rented an Elise last year in Vegas and I would take my S2000 over one of those any day. Curious about the "rapid progress" comment--do you mean the way it drives like it's easy to lose it? Ease of modding? Ease of going fast? I wasn't sure.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Syn
Originally Posted by ScandinavianFlick' timestamp='1334772077' post='21620199

I rented an Elise last year in Vegas and I would take my S2000 over one of those any day. Curious about the "rapid progress" comment--do you mean the way it drives like it's easy to lose it? Ease of modding? Ease of going fast? I wasn't sure.
I meant it's easy to drive quickly without much effort. Big torque means you don't have to keep momentum up or use lots of throttle, or even change gear all that much. The steering's very calm, but not slow, so it pretty much just goes where you point it, and it rounds the edges off your inputs slightly.

The Elise is a love it or hate it car- I happen to love it, and can't imagine ever buying anything else in that price bracket. If you didn't like it, the Corvette is probably a good choice for you.

Either way, if you buy a car you enjoy, you'll be happy.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:07 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

The forum really has gone to crap. 18 posts and not one person has commented about the Corvette being American POS crap with cheesy plastic interior, gold chains/mullet wearing owners, etc.

I'm on my 3rd Vette and I would not have spent the money I did on this third one if the first 2 had let me down. They are outstanding overall vehicles. Like any car, they have their little quirks, but bang for the buck is near impossible to beat. I like track days and you just can't beat the overall speed and performance out of a well-sorted Corvette on good tires for anythine less than 2-3 times the price.

I'd hold out for a good deal on the '08+ base Vettes. LS3 and the TR6060 transmission is worth the extra money over an '05-07 base car. Plus the '08+ has better steering feel, nicer looking center console and several other minor differences that add up to substantial improvement. Plus, the LS3 is a beast.

Here is a video of my old '08 LS3 Vette with just intake, long-tube headers, Corsa exhaust, and tune. No internal engine mods or anything else. It's a beast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMecChZGLiQ
Old 04-18-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^OMG... do want!!

Quick Reply: C6 Corvette opinions