Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

C6 Corvette opinions

Old 04-18-2012, 12:15 PM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

Daaaaamn, that sounds amazing!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed great bang for your buck. Look at a black 08 with the z51 package last year when I was tempted to not FI the s2k and just sell everything. The car was a monster for sure and at the time was priced at 28k with only 20k on the clock. I just couldn't get over the interior which is way better the c5's but not by much. Don't know why they can't just make a decent interior with a nice clean layout.

The nice thing with the vet is the engine and tranny's are bullet proof for the most part, they respond quite well to even the simplest mods and they do look nice. Just the fit and finish sucks with them and like someone stated everyone and their mother has one (like the 350z was when it first came out, use to call it a cockroach lol) due to it being a great bang for the buck and even more so with today's used prices.

I say if you going to daily it get a color that will pop like say red lol or the dark metallic blue (Jetstream Blue I think)which I always though gave the car nice clean lines.

Either way you'll be happy with it and eating through tires and gas in no time.

Mike
Old 04-18-2012, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by ScandinavianFlick
I've always found the C6 a little numb. The straight-line performance is impossible to beat for the price, but the combination of slightly insulated control feel and the ease with which you can make rapid progress was a turnoff for me. I like a car that challenges you every time you get behind the wheel.

In that price rnage, I'd take a used Elise over a C6 any day.

I drove a base C6 and I thought it was Super numb. The steering had no feel and the shifter was sloppy . The exact opposite of what I want in a sports car . I guess I am ruined by having experienced the steering feel of a 911 ! The Vette does not push all the OMG buttons like a 911 does so I vote no on the Vette.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:45 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000 x
... which is way better - but not by much.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:09 AM

^ hahaha caught that too
Old 04-19-2012, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Syn
The reason I am so concerned with handling is because in my town there are roundabouts *everywhere*. I think it's one of the top in the country--something like 80 within a 5-mile radius. And I absolutely fly through those when appropriate (no traffic, etc).

Are you from Carmel,IN?
Old 04-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IrishInIsengard
Originally Posted by Syn' timestamp='1334765066' post='21619739
The reason I am so concerned with handling is because in my town there are roundabouts *everywhere*. I think it's one of the top in the country--something like 80 within a 5-mile radius. And I absolutely fly through those when appropriate (no traffic, etc).

Are you from Carmel,IN?
Yes. Are you nearby?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:02 PM

An interesting question will be how a state of the art FI S will compare to the Corvette...Price wise are much closer, performance depends, at low rpm bigger engine rules, after boost kicks in it may be a different story. I will not trade mine for a base C6, its just a matter of a sensation of speed, control and the right amount of metal wrapped around you thats better, imo.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:01 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be all about a boosted S2000 but I really don't want to deal with the headaches of the entire experience. Even if everything went smoothly, it's a whole lot of either time or money (or both) invested to get it all set up and tuned properly, and in the end I'd be limited to mid-upper 300s at the wheels before getting into serious money to support higher boost. A C6 is just about in that range absolutely stock, and then with a few bolt-ons will surpass it with ease while staying NA. If talking pure acceleration numbers you could get an LS2 C6 into the low 11s for under $3k--not going to happen in an S2000 as much as I'd like it.

Now, if I could have an S2000 body/fit and finish/lighter handling but with a C6 powertrain, no question about it. I think the S2000 is the more well-built car when it comes to fit and finish.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:41 AM

Syn agreed. I as I stated in my last post was at the same crossroads but decided to finish off the S. Between the c6, 335xi ans z4's nothing is "wow must have" and I love the uniqueness of the S as I still get compliments and what kind car is that lol. A 911 is one of those cars but cost are up there between buying and maintenance.

My experience with FI on the S total was $12,676. That doesn't count the $25,000 I bought the all stock S 7 years ago as well as the additional mods such as the OEM hardtop, my LE37's and my old W21's, JPM full interior with some gotuning thrown in there, TEIN Flexs with EDFC, amuse front lip (replica), QUBE LED full conversion, etc.

$4,160 Used Vortech Kit with AEM 1052U, RC750cc (not using), 3.9" ASP Pulley, AEM 3.5bar map sensor (not using), etc (bought from Member off here 2 years ago)
$80 Walbro Fuel bought new from Member off here 2 years ago
$640 New SOS performance Clutch with New Bearings (Bought 2 years ago)
$440 New SOS Front Mount Enlarge Exchanger with Black Enamel Coated (Bought 2 years ago)
$150 New SOS 3 bar map sensor
$150 Berk 2.5" High Flow Cat (Bought used 2 years ago from Member off here)
$650 fujitsubo legalis r exhaust (Bought used 2 years ago from Member off here)
$350 First 4-1 Header with Thermal Coating (Bought used 2 years ago from Member off here)
$450 NEW AEM Digital Gauges (Oil, Boost, Wideband)(bought new from Member off here 2 years ago)(not Using)
$100 AEM Serial Gauge (bought used from Member off recently)
$400 ID1000's (bought used from Member off recently)
$150 New Sachi Machi Catch Can
$3050 Jeff Evan's Tune, S/C Install & Clutch Install
$60 New Custom K&N filter (bought recently)
$550 Valve Adjustment & Ap2 retainers/springs done in Oct by the man "billman"
$1060 928 V-Impeller, High Performance rebuild and Wrinkle Black Powder Coat (Optional Addon)(Bought Recently)
$236 Powder coated valve and rest of the kit (Optional Addon)(Bought Recently)

Modding a car is a waste of money unless you truly love it and it's what you want to do. With all the money I spent over the years could have bought my viper gts I always wanted or even and older used 911 but again love the S. Due to it's timeless design and my updates I know I will be keeping the car for a long time. Also down the road I will turn it into a track only car.

You just have to get to that crossroad when you decide what’s a better option for you.

Mike

Quick Reply: C6 Corvette opinions