Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

C6 Vert Review with S2K Comparison

Old 02-20-2005, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking C6 Vert Review with S2K Comparison

As a preface to this review I will give some brief background on where my biases are. Also, know that this review is being written for both the S2000 and C6 communities.

I have not owned a domestic vehicle in 20 years. The last domestic model I owned was a 1984 Pontiac 6000 STE. Since then Honda, but mostly Acura, have been the order of the day for me and my family. However, the one most significant to this review was my 2000 Honda S2000 which I owned for 5 years prior to my C6 convertible arriving.

For the last 20 years I have maintained a pretty jaded view of the domestic car market. Short on style, substance, and quality, the domestic market was never even considered in my selection process for the five cars I have owned since that '84 Pontiac. I will admit that the Corvette itself never even gave me pause. I respected its power, but was never a fan of its styling or build quality. Of course all of that changed with the debut of the C6. The S2000 was a car I fell in love with immediately and frankly never stopped loving even after its recent sale. The S2000 has style and grace to go along with a raucous racing manner and point-and-shoot driving behavior. To have a first year high revving totally new car be as incredibly reliable as the S2000 has been, is yet another reason why I was loath to sell it. However, in the end, like most of you reading this, I really enjoy sports cars and I got the itch to try something new no matter how irrational the feeling.

Many people said, "oh you have stepped up from the S2000 by buying the C6." Frankly I've never cared for that sentiment. Yes, the base C6 vert costs $20k more and 400HP and TQ is certainly greater than 240HP/158 lb-ft; however, these cars are meant to appeal to a different sense of driving pleasure. What the S2000 goes after and achieves is not the same as what the C6 goes after and achieves. In that way I look at my move from the S2000 to the C6 as a step in a different direction more than a step up.

The cars:

The 2000 S2000 came with almost no options so there isn't much I need to fill in here. I did get the aeroscreen for it (it became standard from 2001 forward) and I also got the titanium shift knob. I added some other minor things, non-Honda made, to the interior for aesthetic/functional reasons which really aren't worth discussing here. The C6 on the other hand has many possible options. In general the C6 can come in three different packages: 1SX, 1SA, and 1SB (in order of cost and number of options). The convertible model, which mine is, starts with 1SA and offers 1SB. Additionally, there are items above these packages that you can option such as NAV, XM, power top, etc. Having said that, most optioned items outside of the packages, require you to purchase the top option group 1SB. Annoying? Absolutely. Europeans option the crap out their cars as well and force you to buy a bunch of stuff you don't want in order to get the one you do. Japanese makers have not gone this route for the most part. Look at how few options are available for the new RL as an example.

I wanted the power top for the C6 as I had standard in the S2000. However, that required nearly $2k plus $3k 1SB. In looking through the 1SB options, I found my only interest was with Homelink. $3k for an integrated garage door opener? Obviously 1SB offers more than Homelink, but nothing else I found interesting. As much as I wanted a power top (although with the endless delays I am not sure I'd even have the car yet if I went with that option) I could not justify the $5k spend to get it. So, my C6 convertible is the 1SA model which frankly comes with a ton of toys. The item most difficult for me to give up was the Z51 package. This is the more hardcore sports package offered on the C6. Power is the same on all models, but this option does add the other things like a stiffer suspension, extra engine cooling, larger brakes, etc., that are desirable in sports cars. However, I commute roughly 2-hours each way to work daily in the worst traffic in the country. Frankly it is difficult to justify any sports car on this drive, so staying with a sports car demanded perhaps giving in a little elsewhere. Hence, no Z51 for me. What I refused to give up, however, is stick. So my C6 is an MN6 in the same way the S2000 is a 6-speed (no option on the S2000 unlike the C6).

Exterior:

It is not of great value for me to comment on the exterior design of these two cars. Yes, most things mentioned in this review will be highly subjective; however, the look of the car itself is such a personal decision that spending time talking about it makes little sense. That said there are some comments I can make. Both cars hide a little something from the camera. The Silverstone S2000 I had has gorgeous paint with metallic flakes imbedded. The camera simply does not capture this quality. Also, the S2000 has very subtle lines which are, in my opinion, best shown by lighter colors such as silver. You cannot see the subtle curves in profile via pictures. The C6 surprisingly also shows some pretty dramatic differences between pictures and reality. The profile of the C6 convertible is far more striking in person than in photos (including professional photos). While it is not nearly as subtle as the S2000 is, the C6 still manages to hide some of the aggressive exotic look on film. This aggressive profile is even more evident with the top up. The original deal maker for me when looking at the Vette was the front. Obviously the biggest difference is the exposed headlamps. I can honestly say that if the C6 has stayed with the hidden variety I'd likely still be an S2000 owner today. My favorite car is the 360 Modena and I thought from the beginning that there were some styling cues on the front of the C6 that come from the Modena. Interestingly enough, the front end of the C6 differs from pictures as well. The front isn't as long as images might portray. Additionally, the exposed headlamps are fatter. Also, the hood flares on the left and right (I don't know what these are called) are much more pronounced in reality especially when seen from inside the car.

From a materials quality standpoint, the C6 looks to be of greater value. There is clearly more design going on when looking at the C6 (this is not always desirable I might add...see Viper) and the fiberglass body also ups the ante (don't try and stick your XM Roady antenna on this thing....) That said, I think panel gaps and some fitment is still not up to foreign competitors including the S2000. It is not immediately apparent and you need to spend some time looking, but it's there. Quite an improvement, but not yet there. Also, the paint is not up to the quality of the S2000. Amongst friends and family the vote is nearly split about which silver they prefer. However, a close look at paint quality itself reveals the C6 inferior to the S2000. Again, this is not obviously noticeable, but it is there.

The overall quality of the convertible top is better on the C6 than the S2000. I never had any trouble with my S2000's top either with leaks or wear holes. However, the C6 top has better looking material and hides the underlying skeletal structure better. Also, the C6 top comes with a glass rear window. Yes, the S2000 does now as well, but not in 2000 nor 2001. I also think the fit and overall appearance of the C6 top is better integrated than on the S2000. The only annoying thing about the top itself on the C6, is that it tends to collect lint quite easily. I have had to add a lint brush to my car care war chest as a result. One of the bigger items for me is that the C6 has an integrate tonneau cover. The manual removable tonneau cover on the S2000 is a source of great annoyance and poor quality. In fact for many, this cover sits in a bag in the garage. I always loved the way it looked when it was on the S2000, but the act of taking it on and off as well as storing it, was always an unwelcome pain. It never stays folded, takes up too much trunk space, and has poor quality snaps. The C6 other the other hand has integrated this cover into the car itself. It works very slick by simply pressing a button to open it. The top stores safely below. Even though my C6 has a manual top, it is very easy to operate if not very efficient. There is only one center latch as opposed to two side latches on the S2000. What I don't like is that you have to get out of the car to do handle the top. It takes 20-30 seconds at most to handle the whole operation, but clearly it is not as slick as a power top would be. Also, I wind up having to get back in and turning on the accessory mode so that I can put up the windows. If you get caught in the rain on the highway, you are in trouble. With the power top you can stop quickly, pull up the emergency brake, and flick a switch. Much better. 6 seconds for the S2000 will certainly beat the time it would take on the power C6 model, but of course the C6 has more going on such as the aforementioned tonneau cover. With the top up, one doesn't really get the sense of riding in a convertible that happens to have its top up. This is a difficult feeling to describe, but the C6 feels more like a coupe with the top up. The S2000, however, due to its skeletal structure and overall build, definitely feels like a convertible that happens to have its top up. Overall noise feeds into this equation and by far the C6 does a better job of quieting things with the top up. Part of that quieting effect on the C6 comes from the indexing glass which lowers itself a little bit when you open the door and raises itself a little bit when you close it. Creates a tighter fit and better seal.

Part of the electronic wizardry with the C6 is the fob proximity sensor which can unlock and lock the doors for you depending on whether it senses the correct fob very nearby. There are no door handles instead relying on a touch membrane behind the handle. This process is extremely slick and the look of the doors without the traditional handles is quite spectacular. This also works for the trunk which uses a tiny hidden button. Yes, there are ways of gaining access should your fob run out of juice. All cars will have this someday.

The rear of the Corvette has never been something I have taken much delight in. I have always found it too flat and bulbous. This fortunately has improved with the C6. The rear end, while still something that would make Sir Mix-A-Lot happy, now has a more tapered look. I have honestly never been particularly thrilled with the rear on the S2000 either. I always felt the car was beautifully styled until you got to the back when it seemed they ran out of creative energy. The two pipes on the back of the S2000 signal something quite fun. The four drilled pipes in the Vette signal something demonic!

The trunk space is substantially bigger on the C6 and better designed. The C6 has two side "trap doors" for storage along with a deep flat floor. The S2000 has a short well. Granted you aren't buying these cars to haul stuff, but it is nice to be able to in a pinch. Space might also be helped in the C6 since there is no spare. The C6 uses run flat tires while the S2000 gives you a donut. I don't like the fact that you have to push on the trunk on the C6 to close it. There is nothing there to put your fingers on so you are forced to smudge the paint. Also, the trunk does not extend fully to the back of the car, so you have to lean over to get things out of it. Taller people probably don't consider this, but shorter guys and gals will.

Interior:

I have often compared the interior of domestic cars to a Lego set. Pieced together with no particular reason or style. I am quite happy to say that the C6 has improved tremendously over previous offerings. The interior flows rather than looks pieced together. No squeaks nor rattles have yet reared their ugly heads. The dash material is softer and less "plasticy". The center console has been the subject of much debate, but I do think it looks good. Yes, it feels a bit cheap to the touch, but how often are you fondling the console? The steering wheel is also something of much debate. Personally I think it looks like it came from the Chevy truck parts bin. It appears they will change this on the new Z06 and my guess is they may also do this on the '06 C6 model. It is not something you think about when you are in the car driving, but it does need to go.

The cup holders are much improved over the S2000. The S2000 gave you one that was located directly behind the stick. This meant you had to lift your arm over the cup in order to shift. Ridiculous. The C6 gives you two located to the side of the stick and out of the way. That said, the only thing I use the cup holders for is holding my XM Roady.

The seats on the C6 are spectacular. The seats on the S2000 are spectacular. Of the two I would say that I prefer the C6 because they are softer and offer more adjustment options (electrically) than the S2000 (manually). My wife, when pregnant, used to sit in the seats of the S2000 to help her back. So, it is hard to find something to complain about. However, the C6 takes those great ergonomics and adds softer cushier leather materials.

The climate controls themselves are better on the C6 because you can set temperature and see OAT on the display. You can also set temperature differently for the driver and passenger. That said, I think the S2000 does a better job of heating (haven't tried cooling yet). With the top down the S2000 had a convertible setting and I could crank the heat and get the cabin toasty in no time. The C6 takes considerably longer to warm up and never is able to achieve the warmer temperatures offered by the S2000. Considering how much I like to put to the top down, this is an irritating quality of the C6. Also, the temperature settings on the C6 seem quite a bit off. I think the temp settings are much cooler than reality. I compare this with our '04 MDX which also has digital climate controls. The blower in the C6 also seems a bit anemic.

The stereo in the C6 is orders of magnitude better than the S2000. Really, it would be very hard not to be. The S2000's system is embarrassingly underpowered with a sound that would be bested by two tin cans and a piece of string. At speed on the highway you can barely make out the stereo on the S2000 at full volume. In later years they made some improvements by at least mounting a tweeter higher up on the door. However, overall the stock unit in the S2000 is a total embarrassment. This isn't to say that the C6 offers golden fidelity. However, it has more than sufficient volume at speed and offers an automatic setting to raise and lower volume based on speed. It also can read and display song titles from CD's and radio and has a quick traffic button. Granted, I exclusively use my XM Roady, but still the stock radio has much more to offer than what you get in the S2000. You also get many more better quality speakers that actually can put out some bass. Again, nothing high fidelity, but still orders of magnitude better than the S2000. Also, there is no external antenna. For some crazy reason Chevy does not give you radio controls on our near the wheel. They think to do so would take driver attention away. Actually, driver attention is diverted much more by having to reach over to the stereo for adjustment. The S2000 doesn't have it on the wheel either, but it is within a fingers distance and off of the radio itself. Lastly, unlike the S2000, the C6 stereo has no current option to get a PIE/AUX adapter which is a major issue for me.

You can read elsewhere about all of the electronic goodies you get in the C6. Needless to say, there is a lot more you can play with in a C6 than an S2000. However, this is by design. The S2000 is a very purpose built sports car. It is all about the driver and all about giving you only what you need to carve up the roads or win on the track. It offers nothing but a seat for the passenger. Very minimalist and very utilitarian. The C6 recognizes that you may take the car on long trips and thus gives you goodies you might want on those trips. There are positives and beauty inherent in both styles. The C6 offers much more room inside not only for the gadgets, but also for storage and separation between the driver and passenger. I do really like the tight F/A-18 style of the S2000 with not much between you and the road. However, given my commute, I absolutely do appreciate the roominess and plushness that the C6 has to offer.

The Drive:

Ok, admit it, most of you skipped directly to this section. I am not offended. This is where the rubber meets the road so to speak.

As mentioned before, the S2000 and the C6 are both sports cars that go after driving pleasure from two very different angles. Let me break this down into some key areas:

Transmission:

The S2000 has a word class 6-speed that I am not sure can be beat. The throws are incredibly short and precise. The clutch is wonderfully linear with no excess travel. Yes, many will correctly point out that cars like the C6 put much more power through the transmission. Fair enough. However, this doesn't change the reality of how great the S2000's transmission is nor the fact that I've been enjoying it daily for the last 5-years. I feared what the transmission on the C6 might bring to the table. The C5's manual was never lauded. I know they greatly improved the C6, but again, I am coming from the best. That said, the stick on the C6 is actually quite good. The throw are short, but certainly not as short as the S2000. The clutch is actually more problematic than the stick. The clutch is not linear and has a power release point just off the floor. All the power comes at one interval and the rest is just play. This means it takes more experience and deft to drive the car smoothly. It is very easy to come off the line in the C6 and spin the wheels and wag the tail. Just a ton of power exploding at one single release moment on the clutch. This also makes it more difficult to drive in heavy traffic. Even though the stick has reasonably short throws in the C6, the placement of the gears takes some getting used to. Everything is further left than you will imagine. It is quite easy to go to 5th when you meant 3rd. It is also easy to be in 3rd when you wanted 1st. I found myself hitting between 3rd and 5th when I was looking for a quick up shift to 3rd. Again, this is just something that takes time. The stick in the C6 also forces me to bend my arm more than I'd like. Your mileage may vary depending on height, but I found the stick position in the S2000 to be more natural. It was one thing for me to start driving the C6 having driven the S2000. It was quite another to have gone back to drive the S2000 after a few times out in the C6. This is where I really noticed the difference in throws and clutch movement. The S2000 is almost like being in an arcade game (this is a good thing in this case). One other comment I will make about the clutch. On my ride home from the dealer, I stalled the car twice. I haven't stalled a stick in something like 15-years. Fortunately I haven't done it since, but it shows the huge difference in the clutch from the C6 to the S2000.

Power:

From a pure numbers standpoint this is clearly where a major difference shows up. The C6 with its 400HP and 400 lb-ft of TQ. The S2000 with its 240HP and 158 lb-ft of TQ (a bit better starting with the 2004 MY). However, those that judge cars based purely on the numbers miss a lot of the story if not what makes driving fun (you are the same people who think A-Rod is better for the Yankees than Jeter....but I digress).

The power of the C6 is awesome and even a bit scary. I am not too proud to admit that there were times with the C6 that I was momentarily frightened by the power. This is not hyperbole. You hit the gas at any speed in any gear and this car takes off like the Enterprise hitting warp. I kid you not. I remember wanting to pass a guy in front of me whom I felt was going a bit too slow. I moved to the right lane and hit the gas. I was utterly shocked by what transpired. The car took off like someone smacked it in the nether regions. It just kept pulling and pulling and pulling.... I felt like I wasn't in control of thing. Almost like I was being pulled away from the steering wheel and taken on a ride at Six Flags. There have been countless times that I have enjoyed the rush of VTEC in the S2000. However, that rush is not even an appetizer to what the C6 has to offer in this regard. Really, I cannot state this point more sincerely.

For all of the power and torque that the C6 has to offer, the S2000 in some ways feels more like a race car. Its high revving nature and super bike sounding engine combined with the tight cockpit, make it seem like you are running a formula car (not that I have any idea what that actually feels like). Its 9k rev limit ('00-'03) means you are cruising at RPM's where on the Vette you would be switching gears. There is a tremendous amount of fun to be had using the very wide arc on the S2000 RPM's gauge. VTEC does hit like a turbo engaging and it takes very little time to get from 6500 RPM to 9000. Despite its lack of TQ, you can hit 0-60 in the low 5's with aggressive clutch technique. Top speed on the S2000 is around 153MPH. This is no slouch. However, in the S2000 you clearly have to be more mindful of the gear you are in and often you will want to downshift if you need that extra bit of power.

Handling:

This is a characteristic that rates very highly with me when it comes to driving pleasure. Easily as important if not more so than pure power. I must point out here again, that I did not get the Z-51 package which would have offered stickier tires and a tighter suspension. I have no doubt this would make a difference.

I will say that the C6 is not the huge boat feel that I and others may have expected. Despite its larger size, it does not feel massive. Certainly it does feel bigger than the S2000, however, not hugely so. I think with more seat time, I will feel more comfortable tossing the C6 around. However, my feeling at this point is that the S2000 is simply better. The S2000 is a precise surgical instrument that goes where I went when I want by reading my thoughts. It is, to be pithy, perfectly point and shoot. The C6 certainly handles well, but is not as easily placed with mere thought. The fact that the Elise is supposed to handle better than the S2000, boggles my mind. The S2000 became an extension of my being. Will the C6? More so then now I am sure, but I don't think ever as tightly as the S2000. If I want to carve up an canyon, please sit me in an S2000. If I want to tear up pavement into hot molten asphalt, give me the C6.

Brakes:

The brakes on the S2000 are something to dream about at night. They are so spot on that it inspires nothing but the ultimate confidence in any situation. Zero fade and fierce grip. The C6's brakes are good, but nothing I am going to write home about. There is more for them to stop and it shows. Bigger brakes come with the Z51 package, so perhaps these are more on par with the stock S2000 version.

Sound and fury:

My expectation going to the C6 was that the sound of the American V8 would be overpowering. It would seem I was wrong. Frankly, at least inside the car (top down even) there really isn't much loud about the V8. In fact the S2000 is far more raucous with its high revving I4. Again, this makes the S2000 more of a racer. What I can hear of the V8, doesn't inspire much awe in me. I realize this is a sacrilegious statement to the faithful. However, my impression is that the LS2 engine in the C6 sounds like...well...an I/O motor in a Sea Ray boat. In fact that is the thought that comes to my mind every time I hear it. Boat. To me it sounds unsophisticated. Also there is more wind noise in the cabin of the C6 than the S2000. I used to laugh at the rather unsophisticated aeroscreen that the S2000 has. However, for whatever reason, it seems more effective than what comes with the Vette (which doesn't have an aeroscreen actually).

Summary:

There is a lot to love about both the C6 and the S2000. Everyone should have the opportunity to drive the boy racer S2000 for several years and a demonic beast C6 afterwards. Two totally different cars that beautifully achieve what they set out to. Foreign or domestic. $32k or $52k. These are things of forum fodder. Get behind the wheel of these two instruments, however, and these talking points shall fade as quickly as your huge grin will develop. Be damn lucky that you have the privilege to drive or own either of these two.

Addendum (4/24/05):

Since this thread resurfaced, I thought I'd add some additional thoughts. Or perhaps this thread wasn't long enough and I want to set a site record! I posted this on page 2, but I'll add it here as well just to keep it all together.

I've put on some 4,500 miles since my original review. As expected, I got used to the clutch and the transmission. All C6's have the same clutch movement and there does not appear to be a lot that can be done about it. That said, it is certainly not the problem it was when I was new to the car. I no longer easily wag the tail with inelegant starts and I certainly am not in danger of stalling out. I would prefer the linearity of the clutch in the S2000, however, it's no longer something I think about and doesn't cause me problems on the long daily commute. I also don't have the problem of hitting between gears much anymore. Still happens from time to time, but it's pretty rare. Again, it's just something to get used to.

I feel much more in control of the power now and frankly have actually gotten use to it. In fact I kept thinking something might have been wrong with the car because I didn't have that out of control face pealing back feeling. However, the truth is that you adjust and going from the power and torque of the S2000 to the power and torque of the C6 is bound to produce a lot of new feelings the first times around. Heck, the Blue Angels fly F18's without any pressure suites on, so the human body and mind can obviously get used to a lot!

No problems with the car at this stage. Squeaks and rattles which you always fear with domestic cars have not yet reared their ugly heads. The car was a tad oil thirsty and I had to add a quart of Mobile 1 at about 2,500. That said, I know many S2000 owners whom have had to do the same with their cars (although I never did with mine). I take this as break in and my guess is that the engine will settle down in this regard.

One thing I am going to add to the car is the sway bars from the sports package. I want the car to be a bit tighter in the turns. I think this will be a perfect addition as it won't harm my commute, but will give me a little something extra for the more sporting moments.

On thing I should have mentioned in my review, but forgot, is the sun visor. This seems like something stupid to discuss, but for me it is actually a pretty big deal since I deal with a very hot sun on my commute. The C6's visor is much bigger and more effective at blocking the sun. Even more importantly, you can detach and swivel the visor. Why they didn't allow this on the S2000 is a total mystery. My commute has the sun burning down on the left side of my face for 2 hours each way. To be able to move the sun visor to block this is a delight I cannot adequately explain. I know it sounds dumb, but it is these little things that can make your time in the car much more enjoyable.

Keyless entry and startup continues to be a joy that just keeps on giving. It may sound gimmicky, but I'd bet you that this will become common place on all autos sooner rather then latter.

Gas mileage may be rated better than the S2000, but it's not. I am filling at roughly 2 gallons more for the same roughly 165 mile trip.

Lastly, one thing that has happened in the C6 that never occurred in the S2000, is that I've had a few Ferrari guys wave at me. I don't know why other than it does look "Ferrari-ish" from the front and so maybe they think momentarily that I am one of their brothers....I wish. Next car..or maybe not.

Addendum (12/4/05):

Well, it seems this thread has shown up again. Thanks to those keeping it alive. It also gives me the chance to continue to make this the longest single post in history! A few points I can add for anyone interested in a more long-term view.

I now have nearly 16k miles on the car. A few issues have crept up over the months. While none are killer, both are annoying. The first is oil consumption. I feel the car consumes too much oil. I am at least 1qt per 2000 miles and at times nearly 2 for the same distance. So far GM has called this "normal", however, has agreed to a consumption test. I am still undergoing this. I am using the recommended Mobile 1 5w30 oil which is as thin as water, however, others are using it without this kind of consumption. Not a deal killer, but I do want to get to the bottom of this. Second, my brakes squeak. This is really annoying and embarrassing. I sound like either a garbage truck or a city bus, take your pick. GM says this is "normal". My response is to say, "this is why you are bankrupt". With Honda/Acura this would not be tolerated (true of other Japanese makers as well). As it is, I am likely going to get the Z51 rotors/calipers (which I've wanted anyway) and in the process I will change out the pads. This will likely fix the problem and decrease the copious amounts of dust I have to wash off my wheels each week.

Some months ago I upgraded the base sway bars to that of the Z51. The difference is night and day. Given it does not impact the commute, this is an upgrade without a downside. There is no way anyone should run the C6 with the base sway bars. It's a totally different and MUCH better car now. This is the cheapest upgrade with the greatest impact I've ever come across.

I have no other issues, knock on wood, otherwise. The car is running great and looking great. I continue to be very happy with this purchase.

Some pics: http://www.s2k-c6.d2g.com
Old 02-20-2005, 05:39 PM

I just read the summary and I think your choosing the C6 over the S.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:39 PM

Scott...thanks for the great write up. I bought my 04 S2000 before the 05 vette came out. Price was a big factor for me. Love the S2000, but there was always something in me that wants to own a vette. I have been considering an "upgrade" but your comparison will give me some info to think about. In making this kind of decision, you really need to live with the car for some period. This is impossible since no one loans out their sports cars very often.

One question..how tall are you if I might ask. I am a short guy (5'-7'') and the S2000 feels just right for me. I was able to sit in the manual vette for 1 minute at the GM show..and I felt I had to sit too close to the wheel to reach the clutch comfortably. Any comment?

Thanks again,
Dave
Old 02-20-2005, 06:58 PM

Great write up which obviously took quite a bit of time, thought and passion.

As I said in your first thread with pictures... enjoy that 'vette and keep us posted on how you like her.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by dave1216' date='Feb 20 2005, 07:39 PM
One question..how tall are you if I might ask. I am a short guy (5'-7'') and the S2000 feels just right for me. I was able to sit in the manual vette for 1 minute at the GM show..and I felt I had to sit too close to the wheel to reach the clutch comfortably. Any comment?
I am 5' 8", so not much taller than you. I agree the S2000 fits like a glove for those of us shorter guys. I don't feel I am uncomfortably close to the wheel in the C6, however, I am quite sure that the issue I had with the shifter being closer than I would like is directly due to my seating position being closer.

The C6 is certainly made with the taller/larger guy in mind while the S2K does feel made for the under 6' crowd. I think that may be a result of your typical American customer versus Japanese customer.

I am pretty sure you could get comfortable in the C6 after taking more time to play around with plethora of adjustment options.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Da Hapa' date='Feb 20 2005, 07:58 PM
Great write up which obviously took quite a bit of time, thought and passion.

As I said in your first thread with pictures... enjoy that 'vette and keep us posted on how you like her.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:14 PM

I'm 5'7 also and when I sit in a C5 vette I feel like I won't be able to see past the steering wheel. The S2000 I was fine. Is there a visual problem in the C6 for short guys?
Old 02-20-2005, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Christople' date='Feb 20 2005, 09:14 PM
I'm 5'7 also and when I sit in a C5 vette I feel like I won't be able to see past the steering wheel. The S2000 I was fine. Is there a visual problem in the C6 for short guys?
Absolutely not. Cannot speak to the C5, but there is no visual problem for this 5'8" driver.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the review I enjoyed reading it.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently had a chance for some extended time in a couple of C6's. I have a S2000 that has been tailored with mods so I really like it and after five years thought I would not be interested in a change, but a C6 with the Z51 option has me thinking about it. The Vette is so easy to drive fast (I am 5'6" and it adjusts just fine) with more power, handling, and stopping on top of more refinement. And frankly the coupe is a steal as the large roof panel comes off easily so you get the best of both worlds with just a bit more effort. I am more impressed with the C6 Z51 than I ever expected to be and may well trade for one. I urge you to drive one if you can.

Quick Reply: C6 Vert Review with S2K Comparison