Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

c7 to get 450hp V8 - link

Old 10-28-2012, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01
Originally Posted by 20aeman' timestamp='1351398495' post='22113175
[quote name='rockville' timestamp='1351261117' post='22110053']
I wonder if GM is in a situation where marketing is holding the power back. Porsche clearly does this all the time. It seems like every three years they just "find" some extra power yet they the Cayman engineers can never quite find as much power as the 911 engineers using the exact same engine. It's almost like they are told to leave power on the table...

I could see GM doing the same thing. It's not like GM is losing the HP race. So long as they are winning and so long as the C7 offers a number of things other than power to entice buyers to go for a C7 vs left over C6 I don't see them feeling the need more than a modest bump to sell the new cars.

I suppose there is also the question of just how much is too much. Traction and stability controls have helped make what were ZR-1 power levels more manageable for the masses (I still surprised the old car didn't have something like a 150hp valet mode). There is also a notion of cost. The LS7 clearly showed the LS family could produce more power than the 432 of the LS3. However, I suspect the LS7 cost quite a bit more to make. A few of the upgrade parts might add substantially to the overall cost of the motor. IIRC (and I may not) the rods were quite a bit more expensive than the LS3 rods. The valves would also require a premium (sodium filled vs solid). There were probably a number of other parts that result in a significant increase in build cost. It's possible that the LS3 was about as good as the LS family could do without a big bump in cost. Things like DI might have allowed GM to get that bump in performance without resorting to forged rods and the like.

Anyway, the 450 number is as likely as not what GM decided to give the car rather than any limit of the motor or even limit at a set price point. It will be interesting to see how far GM takes this new motor.

One final thing, I haven't driven an LS3 but the LS2 Vette I drove was not overly smooth at idle. Not rough mind you but not glass smooth like say a Tundra V8. I've always assumed this was a combination of the way the motor was mounted in the Vette plus the need for a relatively high lift cam. I'm wondering if the new motor will be smoother.
If GM's truck division wasn't there to lower engine costs via widespread sales/proliferation of the corporate small block V8...the Corvette's engine would cost 20+k like every other sports car in the segment (the economies of scale simply wouldn't be there).

I have a feeling that all this new technology is meant specifically to increase efficiency/power in their truck line...the fact that it passes down to the Corvette program is an added bonus.
New Gen IV viper engine is about 5-6k. Don't know if the Gen V will be more, but no way it will be over 10k and it's not subsidized by anything in Chrysler's lineup.
[/quote]

A Mopar V10 costs quite a bit more than $5-6K. I don't know where you got your numbers. It's more like 13-40K:
http://www.moparproshop.com/viper_engines1
Old 10-28-2012, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was referencing my own experience. My viper had the engine replaced under warranty before I bought it. It lost a fuel pump on track and grenaded the engine. The previous owner had the engine removed, sent to arrow racing and broken down. Arrow racing decided it wasn't possible to fix so built a new engine beyond manuf specs and shipped it back. The engine was then put back in the car. The total bill was 15k. I have also seen Gen IV crate engines on ebay for 7-8k. Those prices on that mopar site are crazy high. To be honest I've not spent a lot of time looking into replacing my engine. I was just referencing the previous owner of my car and ebay.

I would guess I was looking at refmanuf motors and not brand new from the factory.