Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

C7 Vette

Old 11-13-2011, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zdave87
What is a great interior'? Is it the materials, the layout? Is it having 79 adjustable seat positions? Is it a 7" navigation display or 9"? Cloth or leather seats? 2 or 10 upholders?
Do you want updated info on everything in your car displayed in front of you?

What do you want in a interior?
The design, layout and materials make or break an interior. And its pretty insulting when GM laid out some great interior design in the latest Cadillacs...that are in the same price range.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2011, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stacey
Originally Posted by zdave87' timestamp='1321233497' post='21153164
What is a great interior'? Is it the materials, the layout? Is it having 79 adjustable seat positions? Is it a 7" navigation display or 9"? Cloth or leather seats? 2 or 10 upholders?

The design, layout and materials make or break an interior. And its pretty insulting when GM laid out some great interior design in the latest Cadillacs...that are in the same price range.

The C6 layout was made in 2004 or before so it's not surprising the Cadillacs look so much better. I would expect the C7 to take cues from the caddy. There is a good chance it will be better.

This was what was being put in caddys in 2004:

Not exactly inspired stuff. I would expect the same level of upgrade the caddy got to happen in the C7.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want the new Centennial Z06.

Interiors can always be modified.

Tan
Old 11-13-2011, 07:29 PM

Ideally i would love to see it made into an American NSX. Midship LSx power, typical Corvette styling cues in a $70k car that outperforms the 458 - with a Porsche like interior - supportive seats, alcantara, etc.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Former Sponsor

I the current Z06. I've always kinda thought a bigger inlet on the front bumper would look better.
Add the ZO7 package and drop a little weight somewhere 200lbs would be great! And if there is a way to make it shift more like a "S" that would be nice too.

If I had the money there would probably be one at my place.

Evan
Old 11-13-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by stacey
Originally Posted by zdave87' timestamp='1321233497' post='21153164

For me, in a car like the Vette, I'm absolutely NOT looking for whiz bang electronic gadgetry. Things like nav systems, audio systems, heads up display, bluetooth, voice commands, etc are waaaaay down my priority list for a sports car. In fact, I don't like distractions like that in a sports car. In a luxury sedan or an SUV that was carrying the family to far away destinations, those things are desirable. In a sports car that is generally close to home on familiar roads, not so much. I'm more concerned with the driving experience. That means simple, easy to use, major controls. And switchgear that has a quality feel and engages with positive feedback so you can keep your eyes on the road. And it's always nice in any car if all the surfaces that you touch are comfortable such as padded soft touch vinyls or rubber coated buttons. And there should be no squeaks and rattles. I also expect the instruments to be aesthetically pleasing as well as informative and major systems like HVAC to be really easy to use without looking at them. Screw touch screen climate controls and endless trivial information displays. Lastly, the seats should look and feel good and hold you in place without being uncomfortable.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:17 PM

The C7 needs a few things. Better damping would likely deal with the rear end skittishness though I have to say the 2005 I drove didn't seem that skittish. The interior in many ways isn't as bad as people claim. Really much of it is quite good (or at least up to Cayman standards). The seats can stay... as base seats for those who like long distance comfort. They are comfortable seats but they aren't good sportscar seats. So a good sport seat as an option would be good/needed.

The interior can and almost certainly will be improved. Why I defend the materials, fit and finish and the ergonomics, the styling is the let down. Lutz once commented that the problem with the 2004 CTS interior was that it WAS actually an expensive interior, it just didn't look it. The C6 is a kind of like that. Many of the surfaces are good but they are spoiled by the Cobalt steering wheel and a NON-parts bin radio that LOOKS like a parts bin radio!

Anyway, so yes, the interior needs to be improved.

As for the powertrain, well hard to argue with the current motor. I'm sure we will see modest improvements but it's hardly a bad place to start. The shifter needs to feel better and since we seem to have a 0-60 arms race, well you need a fast automatic (like say a DSG type) to win that game.

It would be great to see the mag dampers on more versions. Some people think, incorrectly, that the Vette suspension is primitive because they don't understand the fiberglass springs. Well the suspension isn't primitive and certainly adding the most advanced dampers on the market doesn't help.

Oh, finally, the butt is on the big side depending on the angle. From the side it looks good but it's to plain from the back and the taper of the rear window looks odd from some angles. BTW, that blunt tail is functional. The sharp cutoff is an aero treatment and if you look carefully is not dissimilar from the sharp creases at the very back of cars like the Prius and Volt. It was also used on the old Daytona Coupes. GM just needs to figure out a way to get the aero to work without the but looking so big. I guess they could cop out and do what Porsche dues and use a motorized spoiler. Aerodynamically speaking, GM got it right so they didn't have to resort to such tricks. It's just that it doesn't look as good.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If they had a nice dual-clutch gearbox so I wouldn't have to deal with murky truck-lever shifting, I'd consider one.

Test drove a few C6s and didn't feel connected with the cars at all.

They are great performance cars, but I always felt like I was completely separate from the car and could never "trust" that the car would listen to me or whether it would decide to do something different. Never got the "telepathic" "one with the car" feeling I get from driving some other vehicles. That's one thing that Porsches do really well, IMHO.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:00 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I will simply pose a question: if the corvette came with all the stuff like a cayman or porsche, assuming power comes at a premium as does refinement and such, would someone buy the chevy over the porsche? If the cars were just a few thousand bucks apart, again would someone buy the chevy over the porsche? No.
So the vette should just stick to what it knows best, highest level of performance for the least amount of money. If I wanted a porsche, I'd get a porsche. If I wanted an M3 whose awesome interior trim will start flaking after 10 years (read up on it for the E46s), I'll buy an M3. If I want a car with exotic proportions with crazy good performance numbers but on a limited budget, I'll buy the vette.
For me, update the interior design, listen to the fixable quibbles (like the steering wheel, when you grip it, it is thick which is good, but it's taller than it is wider, so it's like they got a nice thick rim and then flattened it sorta), and they can honestly just keep the c6 look with a mild refresh and keep the cost where it is. Hmm, getting rid of the transverse leaf springs would be good too, I doubt it's saving that much money if any at all and I believe they did it more for packaging, but if they're going to start from scratch, I'd redesign that, but for me it's not really a deal breaker.
The steering feel is disconnected as it does force you to pay attention rather than just going with it by feel.
So in the end, just keep improving it, the competition isn't really pulling away performance wise, and certainly not doing it anywhere near its price point, so just start refining it, sorta like what Nissan did with the 370z over the 350z.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:37 PM

The transverse leaf is actually a very good bit of engineering. Switching to coils, if packaging allows would save costs but it would be a step back in technology.

Quick Reply: C7 Vette