Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Cadillac STS surprise

Old 05-17-2010, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris, for some reason I thought the STS was FF - a quick trip to Wikipedia showed that I was wrong. Your thoughts on chassis & body roll in corners? Or did it feel like LazyBoy on wheels?
Old 05-18-2010, 05:38 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by sstodvictory,May 17 2010, 09:58 PM
Used Mercury Grand Marquis LS models are an unbeatable deal right now. I just bought a 2005 LS Ultimate with 30K miles in spotless condition for $11,200 and have been driving it to work for a few weeks. I absolutely love it. Try one out, you might be surprised.

Steve
You're joking, right?

I had one as a rental back in 2006 for about two weeks. When I got back in my Honda Accord, I thought they'd broken the power steering during their repairs!

The Grand Marquis has horribly light steering, a floaty suspension, weighs a bazillion pounds, handles terribly, and looks like crap. It's a decade-old design that has had virtually no significant updates in its life.

What's to like about it, exactly? Other than being huge and comfortable on the highway, it has no redeeming qualities other than being cheap.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mingster,May 17 2010, 10:00 PM
Chris, for some reason I thought the STS was FF - a quick trip to Wikipedia showed that I was wrong. Your thoughts on chassis & body roll in corners? Or did it feel like LazyBoy on wheels?
The STS has a nice controlled ride without the roll and pitch of many luxury (or economy) sedans. In hard cornering, acceleration, and braking it is an impressive drive. I thought it more of a drivers car than the MB sedans.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:30 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I hate to bring it up for fear of being labeled a Hyundai fanboi, but a new, optioned V6 Genesis sedan with 100k warranty can be had for like like $34k. Never mind a used one with only a 5 yr warranty for mid-upper $20s... When it comes to lux sedans, I can't really justify buying pretty much anything that could be compared to that car, new or used.

Plus its rwd.

Also, no way I'd recommend a Mercury Grand Marquis, Lincoln, etc, unless you really want a pillowy ride based on an ancient chassis. Are they inexpensive, yes, but are they fun to drive, well, not for me at least.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,May 18 2010, 09:30 AM
I hate to bring it up for fear of being labeled a Hyundai fanboi, but a new, optioned V6 Genesis sedan with 100k warranty can be had for like like $34k. Never mind a used one with only a 5 yr warranty for mid-upper $20s... When it comes to lux sedans, I can't really justify buying pretty much anything that could be compared to that car, new or used.

Plus its rwd.

Also, no way I'd recommend a Mercury Grand Marquis, Lincoln, etc, unless you really want a pillowy ride based on an ancient chassis. Are they inexpensive, yes, but are they fun to drive, well, not for me at least.
We tried on a Genesis early on and found that the back seat is suited for two, not three. It is big enough but the center is contoured and raised so that it is not a suitable seat. If we go for a four passenger car instead of five there are plenty of other choices. I did like the styling and finish of the Genesis both inside and out better than the Caddy.

BTW, the STS is also RWD. It also has a pretty good warranty.

I've rented the Mercury and don't think I would buy one.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:20 PM

Perhaps the FWD confusion is because the previous two generations of STS were FWD.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:38 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Oops, I was thinking DTS.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:34 PM

[QUOTE=JonBoy,May 18 2010, 05:38 AM]You're joking, right?

....The Grand Marquis has horribly light steering, a floaty suspension, weighs a bazillion pounds, handles terribly, and looks like crap.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:59 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by sstodvictory,May 18 2010, 05:34 PM
No, I'm not kidding. The Marquis is one dinosaur that is very good at what it does, if what it does is what you want, like me - and it doesn't cost much. I enjoy the ride, the roomy comfort, the handling, the quietness...practically everything about it (not the cup holders though) in the application its intended for, every bit as much as I enjoy my S2000 in the application that the S2000 is intended for, just as I equally have enjoyed my motorcycles in the applications that I bought each of them for. I even think the Marquis one of more attractive designs on the road. I am a rich person in that way, able to enjoy vehicles and driving experiences that are opposites in character.

As for being an outdated design, I guess I march to a different drummer about that, otherwise I'd be selling my S2000 and moving up to a.....ummm....to a.....sheesh! Come to think of it, I guess there aren't any cars out there that do what the outdated S2000 does, as well as it does it, for as little money.

Steve
You're either much older than most of us, or blind. I can't imagine ANYONE finding a Grand Marquis to be one of the better looking cars on the road.

And there actually aren't any cars that do what the S2000 does, as an overall package, for similar money. Go find me a convertible for $20-$30K that does 0-60 in 5.5s, 0.92g on a skidpad, is reliable, looks good, and handles extremely well while having excellent agility and responses. I'll wait.

I drive an old F-150 as a beater. I "enjoy" it for what it is, namely, a cheap vehicle that can take a beating and keep on going. However, there is nothing about it that inspires the enthusiasm you seem to show for your Grand Marquis. I'm a huge car nut but there's not much to "like" about such vehicles except that they get the job done.

"Handling" and "Grand Marquis" do not belong in the same sentence.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:53 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I spend a good deal of time behind the wheel of an 07 STS V6. It's really not a bad car at all.

The hard thing is remembering how darned low the front end sits and how far back you have to park to keep from scraping. In fact i find the front as likely to scrape on dips as a stock C6.

Quick Reply: Cadillac STS surprise