Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

California vs DB9

Old 11-27-2017, 05:14 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts
Question California vs DB9

If you had to choose between a DB9 or a California (used under 100k) which one would you pick? Which one do you think has a more useful back seat or has more trunk space? I had been set on buying a Rapide, but someone said I should consider a California, but I think that one may cost more annually to run, I think the California makes it up on higher resale value, but is it as nice quality as DB9? I'd be able to get a newer DB9 for the same money. Does the California suffer from sticky buttons and cheap running gear?

Rapide is first on my list, but I should be open to ideas. Test driving a Rapide I have my eyes on Thursday at the dealer in CT.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only way to really know how usable the seats and trunk are for you is to try them out. The California would be the car for me because I want to put the top down at times.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by cdelena
The only way to really know how usable the seats and trunk are for you is to try them out. The California would be the car for me because I want to put the top down at times.
DB9 is also available as a convertible, but I would default towards the coupe. Convertible is nice though. If the dealer I am going to does not have a California, I'll go the FM dealer and take a look. The seat has to work for our dog. On our XK, the seat was tight and on the Evora was perfect due to be a bench back seat. That car had limited trunk space. The Rapide back seat is fine, I sat in the back and know the dog will be fine.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Rough life for that dog, choosing between Ferrari and Aston Martin
I'd pick the AM over the California, assuming you mean a used Cali with the prior body style. The Cali was kinda weird looking to me. The AM on the other hand is sex on wheels
Old 11-27-2017, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by billios996
Rough life for that dog, choosing between Ferrari and Aston Martin
I'd pick the AM over the California, assuming you mean a used Cali with the prior body style. The Cali was kinda weird looking to me. The AM on the other hand is sex on wheels
You mean ruff life...

Yes, both are used with my limit being under 100K. I'd like to keep the Vantage, but no room for the dog and girlfriend can't drive a manual or does not want to put in the effort. Limits us on doing road trips and I don't like the car sitting idle.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:34 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

I think the DB9 looks better, but the California should drive better. Tough choice, but I'd probably go for the DB9.

The Rapide is sick though, would go with that over both! Absolutely stunning cars that you rarely see.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by white98ls
I think the DB9 looks better, but the California should drive better. Tough choice, but I'd probably go for the DB9.
You got me thinking this morning while walking my dog. What about another front engine Ferrari with a back seat? I see several 612's for 100k. Would that be a foolish choice? I wonder how expensive up keep is compared to the Aston and it's also 5-6 years older.

This one is 89K

Thoughts?
Old 11-28-2017, 08:19 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
You got me thinking this morning while walking my dog. What about another front engine Ferrari with a back seat? I see several 612's for 100k. Would that be a foolish choice? I wonder how expensive up keep is compared to the Aston and it's also 5-6 years older.

This one is 89K

Thoughts?
Just guessing here, but I think a Ferrari V12 would be spendy indeed. From what I understand, the Aston V12 is essentially two Ford V6s, so not as many specialized, exotic parts. The 612 has never been one of my favorite Ferraris personally, but I agree that's a heck of a value and I'd love to own a V12 Ferrari at some point in my life.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:50 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

That 612 is UGLY. Bland silver on bland grey interior.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
That 612 is UGLY. Bland silver on bland grey interior.
Agreed that is not my or just about anyone's first choice, but was from Ferrari dealer and in the price. Here's another one at the same price from Ron Tonkin in a better color combo

Quick Reply: California vs DB9